ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
Hoff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Rear Axle Nut

As I was Installing the rear wheel on my 950 Adv last weekend and tightening the axle nut to the 110 Nm specified in the owners manual, I heard an ominous crunching sound as the nut was getting tight. Turns out the end of the nut fractured and the axle was poking through. I've had the wheel on and off several times repatching a punctured tube while waiting for a new one. I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I'm also wondering whether the 110 Nm of torque is intended to measure how tightly the axle tightens against the inside of the axle nut (meaning that the nut has to be replaced), or is it a measure of how much clamping force the axle/nut applies to the swingarm (in which case I could still use the fractured nut). Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks...
Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoff
As I was Installing the rear wheel on my 950 Adv last weekend and tightening the axle nut to the 110 Nm specified in the owners manual, I heard an ominous crunching sound as the nut was getting tight. Turns out the end of the nut fractured and the axle was poking through. I've had the wheel on and off several times repatching a punctured tube while waiting for a new one. I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I'm also wondering whether the 110 Nm of torque is intended to measure how tightly the axle tightens against the inside of the axle nut (meaning that the nut has to be replaced), or is it a measure of how much clamping force the axle/nut applies to the swingarm (in which case I could still use the fractured nut). Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks...
First I've heard of that problem. Sure you had all of the spacers installed?
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,817
Why did it bottom??

The broken nut bottom is of no great concern as is the reason it happened!! What he said: All spacers were in place?? In case of reusing the same nut, it could give you peace of mind to loctite one or two threads!! My 0,02$ Good luck with the findings!!
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Hoff OP
Adventurer

CP - As far as I can tell, the only spacer for that side is the chain tensioner with the recess for the collar nut facing out.

I suspect that the axle tightens against the bottom of the axle nut as a means of keeping the nut from vibrating loose.

Hoff screwed with this post 07-27-2006 at 11:49 AM
Old 07-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
erider
erider

Oddometer: 479
Axle Nut Failures

High Cycle Fatigue - taking the aluminum nuts on/off several times - will utlitmatley result in failure. The aluminum thread crests will 'stretch' (deform) when being repeatedly torqued on a steel axle. Sooner or later the nut becomes loose, and then possibly cracks. That's why we make stainless axle nuts for the off-road bikes.

www.erider.ws

Question to the group at large: Should we tool up and start making them for the 950/990 bikes ?
erider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
gefr
Life is a trip

There are several spacers inside the swingarm!!!

Are they all in the right place!! I believe and forgive me insisting, the blind nuts usually are made this way for aesthetic reasons and not to take loads!! The forces are taken by their threads!! If it was ment to be this way, it would be broken from the begining, or KTM wouldn't have put a blind nut there in the first place!! I believe someone is missing the party!!

http://216.165.194.66/munnracing/cat...%20WHEEL%20LC8

I would suggest have a look here!!! Good luck!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoff
CP - As far as I can tell, the only spacer for that side is the chain tensioner with the recess for the collar nut facing out.

I suspect that the axle tightens against the bottom of the axle nut as a means of keeping the nut from vibrating loose.
There are 2 spacers (actually 3 if you count the one in the hub) on the rear axle. I just checked my axle and nut, and there is 5 mm of clearance between the end of the axle and the bottom (inside) of the collar nut threads when torqued to spec. Maybe you should pull the axle out and check to make sure everything is there as per gefr's link. Good news is it looks like the nut is inexpensive
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Maybe take a close look at the sprocket carrier / cush-drive assy?

Any chance the axle could get pulled thru the left-side block?

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
Hoff OP
Adventurer

I hadn't intentionally removed any of the spacer bushings from the sprocket support or brake side of the wheel. But, I had the wheel off to take it to the dealer to get it balanced, so it's possible one might have fallen out at the shop or somewhere along the way. The wheel usually just fits between the swingarms when I install it, and I didn't notice any extra room this time, but I'll have to double check. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
Hopefully you haven't bent the swingarm!

FWIW...I have slammed the axle nut on my 520EXC hard enough to tear open the end. But it still works fine since the threads take the load. The axle should NOT bottom out on the nut. I ended up replacing the nut only for aesthetics.

As a rule, I tighten my axle nuts with the same length wrench/bar as what I would use to remove them out on the trail. 110nm sounds awfully tight to me even if that's what the manual calls for. I don't know about you, but I don't carry an 18" breaker bar in my pack...
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
gefr
Life is a trip

New info!!

My mechanic told me the spacer that stays with the axle is actually screwed on it so it could have moved(unscrewed some rounds) leaving the axle long enough to destroy the nut bottom!!! Good luck!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
2jet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
110 NM's ?????

that sounds really tight. Just checked my book (05.5) and it says 90NM for the axel nut.

07 KTM 250SXF
2jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
Hoff OP
Adventurer

I checked the wheel when I got home last night and the right side spacer bushing was in fact missing. I just got off the phone with the dealer, they had found it next to the wheel balance machine but didn't know who it belonged to. I'll definitely have to be more careful about checking these things in the future.

So in regards to my original question, I think it's safe to say that the axle is not supposed to bottom out in the axle nut, and a cracked nut is a sure sign something is wrong or missing. Thanks again to everyone who encouraged me to look at the obvious, I would have never thought of it.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr
My mechanic told me the spacer that stays with the axle is actually screwed on it so it could have moved(unscrewed some rounds) leaving the axle long enough to destroy the nut bottom!!! Good luck!!!
You need to find a new mechanic
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
gefr
Life is a trip

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
You need to find a new mechanic
It is easy to say but difficult to find!! I try to work it out with what I've got!! Too busy usually to improvise or even to check out some things!! Not a perfect world, I've compromised!!