ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
Manny Fagnet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Manny Fagnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: UK (offshore !!)
Oddometer: 223
Another question for SE owners

First post,so hello you lot !!!

Have lurked for a little while until now.

I'm toying with getting a Super Enduro.

I used to have a 950 Adventure S which I loved and wish I hadn't sold.

I recently rode a new Adv 990 but didn't like it -basically I much preferred the higher,harder seat of the old bike.Plus I personally much prefer the carbed motor to the 990 set-up

Now my dealer is getting a SE in any day now,but just the one and he is a small dealer so there won't be a demo to try.

What I wanted to know is how good is it on road with the standard wheels/knobbly tyres ?

If I got one I would be using it 95% of the time on tarmac,due to the lack of off-roading available locally.

So,being honest,I would be buying the bike mainly for it's looks,lofty seat height and lightish weight as opposed to it's offroad ability.

I would quite possibly go down the 19/17" wheel route later on and fit stickier road rubber but that certainly wouldn't be possible in the short term.

So what's it like as standard on the road ?

Does it feel stable leant over ?


(I used to have a 450EXC with OE semi knobblies so have ridden such a bike on/off road)


Ta for any info

Manny Fagnet screwed with this post 07-27-2006 at 10:04 AM
Manny Fagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TipOver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 405
Why SE?

Sounds like you would be a candidate for a SM or a Duke. It's already set up for the street.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Manny Fagnet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Manny Fagnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: UK (offshore !!)
Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Sounds like you would be a candidate for a SM or a Duke. It's already set up for the street.

Thanks.

I've ridden both the SM and Duke.

I find the looks of the 950SM bland and I don't like the snatchy injection of the Super Duke.Also I don't like the front end -it feels very twitchy and unsettled.
Manny Fagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
ROADCAPTAIN
ROADCAPTAIN
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Essex England
Oddometer: 93
Should I buy an SE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Fagnet
First post,so hello you lot !!!

Have lurked for a little while until now.

I'm toying with getting a Super Enduro.

I used to have a 950 Adventure S which I loved and wish I hadn't sold.

I recently rode a new Adv 990 but didn't like it -basically I much preferred the higher,harder seat of the old bike.Plus I personally much prefer the carbed motor to the 990 set-up

Now my dealer is getting a SE in any day now,but just the one and he is a small dealer so there won't be a demo to try.




What I wanted to know is how good is it on road with the standard wheels/knobbly tyres ?

If I got one I would be using it 95% of the time on tarmac,due to the lack of off-roading available locally.

So,being honest,I would be buying the bike mainly for it's looks,lofty seat height and lightish weight as opposed to it's offroad ability.

I would quite possibly go down the 19/17" wheel route later on and fit stickier road rubber but that certainly wouldn't be possible in the short term.

So what's it like as standard on the road ?

Does it feel stable leant over ?


(I used to have a 450EXC with OE semi knobblies so have ridden such a bike on/off road)


Ta for any info
Hi Manny

Buy the SE and fit it with Scorpian S/Ts which are the street version of the A/Ts fitted as standard to advs. The nobblies will wear really quick and be rubbish in the wet.....Good luck RC.
ROADCAPTAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jolly705's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tri State Area
Oddometer: 2,347
Unfort all my riding on my new SE has been on the road and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it rides on the street/ highway. I have the stock tires on there and it seriously is extremely smooth. The great thing is this weekend I get to play offroad
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
Manny Fagnet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Manny Fagnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: UK (offshore !!)
Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADCAPTAIN
Hi Manny

Buy the SE and fit it with Scorpian S/Ts which are the street version of the A/Ts fitted as standard to advs. The nobblies will wear really quick and be rubbish in the wet.....Good luck RC.

Good point.

The fronts are identical but the rear of the SE is a 140/80 18" whereas the 990 Adv is a 150/70 18".

Pirelli don't list an ST in 18" sizes,just 17"

Manny Fagnet screwed with this post 07-27-2006 at 12:04 PM
Manny Fagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
teabagger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
teabagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 279
SE Fuel tank Range

How far can u go, if you got about 35MPG, with a 20 mile reserve?
JM
LA, CA
teabagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jolly705's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tri State Area
Oddometer: 2,347
3.43 Gallons x 35mpg = 120.05 miles + 20 reserve = 140.05 aproximately
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
teabagger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
teabagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 279
Range

3.43Gals X 35MPG = 120Miles total so actual range w/ 20 mile reserve is only 100 miles....seems pretty dicey.

JM

LA, CA
teabagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
SD990
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 115
I averaged 43mpg on my last tank.....take into account that I am still in 'break-in' miles.
SD990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
teabagger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
teabagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 279
Range

I average 35MPG now on my tricked out, 100HP 950, so I was just checking.

JM
LA, CA
teabagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
Manny Fagnet OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Manny Fagnet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: UK (offshore !!)
Oddometer: 223
Bugger off and start your own thread on fuel consumption !!


Manny Fagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
teabagger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
teabagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 279
Talking "Bugger Off" wow! 4 whole posts from a ROOKIE

Actually as 950 owner, I was considering swapping the Adventure in on the SE and wanted to get a sense of my range...you see, here in So-Cal, the deserts are large & hot & the size of your miserable rock, so one needs to know about fuel & such....so towel off, and learn

JM
LA, CA
teabagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
ROADCAPTAIN
ROADCAPTAIN
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Essex England
Oddometer: 93
Fuel-tyres-whatever

Doo..Nicepoint about tyre size Manny. Will check on those sizes tommorow(friday) but I guess you are right. just a note on fuel and I shall say no more about it on this thread.... Fuel light to zero 10miles big push to fuel station 1.5miles glad I let my mate find that one out when had was out for a ride on it I have a SM tank/seat on order for longer trips away.
ROADCAPTAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
K2m
....58....
 
K2m's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,242
Still making friends Teabagger
__________________
The News, those who are trying to control what we think, do not want us to see.
http://www.presstv.ir/live.html So good the British Gov. Banned it !!!
http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014