User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Rubber Cow OP
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,336
Rubber Cow hits 170MPH at Daytona!

Sadly, It's been a while since I've posted in Ride Reports....hopefully this report will make up for my lack of participation.
Some of you may know that I work in the apparel world. My employer happens to support Michael Jordan's, Jordan Motorsports Racing Team. I had the burden of having to travel to Daytona this weekend to meet up with the team. We got into Daytona on Thursday and spent Friday and Saturday working- our passes granted us unbelieveable passes to the paddock andy pit. I managed to take over 500 pics, talk to some old friends and make a bunch of new ones in the world of motorcycle racing. On Saturday morning I also had the opportunity to take a lap at Daytona on the back of the Jordan Motorsports/National Guard Suzuki GSX-R 1000 piloted by none other than Jason Pridmore. Somewhat unbelievably, this team offers lap rides on this specially modified race bike - it has grab handles integrated into the fuel tank so that the passenger can hang on for dear life! I had spent the previous night meeting with Jason and the team and felt very comfortable entrusting my safety to Jason and the JM crew- some of you that know me realize that my putting this level of trust in another rider does not come easyily for me!
Let it be know that this crew really has their stuff together. My fellow passengers and I were kitted out in the latest Dainese leathers, spine protectors and AGV gloves, boots and helmets- some of these bits were fresh out of their boxes. After kitting up we sat in the National Guard tent where Jason went through a thorough safety briefing including what we were about to experience. We then walked the 100 yds to the trackside. One by one, we took our turn on the track. For the inexperienced riders, Jason gently introduced them to track riding at speed...for those of ous who had some time on bikes he quickly showed us, me, how little skill I had with respect to riding well at speed. One out of the pits, Jason wicked up this beast of a bike and began schooling me in the art of two wheeled dancing on a level I have never experienced before. Thankfully, the crew were polite enough to supply us with a two-way com system so Jason could hear me squealing in terror and utter delight as he flipped the bike from corner to corner...all the while experimenting with new was of riding on a thin strip of molten rubber beneath the tires. We drifted in and out of turns, braked harder that I've ever felt and flicked from one side to the other and back from one corner to the next. In what felt like a breathless minute, we exited the inside of the course and made our way into the banked oval of Daytona followed quickly by a diversion into the chicane and then out again onto the banked track where Jason wicked the bike up to its full potential. We hit at least 170MPH but the blood drained it of my head so quickly that I wasn't immediately conscious of what was going on...all I do know is that traveling at 170MPH on high tuned pure-performance machine while on a banked track is something that every bike enthusiast should do before they die.....utterly amazing, purely adrenalin releasing, terrying fun.
Words don't quite do it justice so here's a video of the ride:
http://youtu.be/o2Sl73MTPJY

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
That video is great. Just think what it's like when Hayden and Bostrom are really going at speed on the track.Pridmore looked like he was out for a Sunday afternoon ride. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,186
Wow, did you poop? I'm pretty sure I would have pooped
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Rubber Cow OP
GS Dork

It's hard to poop when you've puckered so hard that you've managed to suck a motorcycle seat up yer keester...

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I rode bitch w JP a Hastings at the Star school the Tuesday after his WSB debut in Miller in 08. It opened my eyes as to how deep and hard (insert joke here) you could trail brake a bike with 200 extra pounds on the back. What a rush.

He let me follow him later, as he took my buddy around the track. Just the 2 bikes on track. Second lap when he wicked it up, it was a pretty good pace, about a mid pack novice race pace. 2 up with a margin for error on track day tires, quite impressive.

Not coincidentally, some of the things I learned then were put to good use and helped me snag 2 regional CCS championships the next year.

In summary, JP is a sterling human being and great ambassador for our sport. the war stories and behind the scenes insight in to the 'game' that he provided in the classroom sessions was pure gold.
82 Suzuki RM465

sasrocks screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 10:03 PM
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Rubber Cow OP
GS Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
I rode bitch w JP a Hastings at the Star school the Tuesday after his WSB debut in Miller in 08. It opened my eyes as to how deep and hard (insert joke here) you could trail brake a bike with 200 extra pounds on the back. What a rush.

Edited

In summary, JP is a sterling human being and great ambassador for our sport. the war stories and behind the scenes insight in to the 'game' that he provided in the classroom sessions was pure gold.
Yep-agreed 100%

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
EatinDirt
WannaB Thumpin

Oddometer: 19
Luckeeeeee!!!!!
EatinDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,782
Outstanding Jorge!

Shame the soundtrack didn't include your intercom though...
Old 03-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
txmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
He was taking it easy on ya...LOL. When i did track days on my R1 with the gf on back suited up, it was always fun to drop down to level 2 and pass people in corners and she would wave bye as we exited to corners .

I would love to follow one of the pros around a track just to see how bad i suck at riding . Awesome vid and i bet one heck of an awesome time you had there.
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Jarrod Weaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Great experience. I have also been around the track once but it was in Cecil the track guard's Pontiac Bonneville - not nearly as much fun.
Jarrod Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote