Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
We come to the famous mud puddle at the bottom of Warloop road. We have a good laugh but I know it has been very dry recently so the amount of water in this puddle is probably the lowest of the year. The ruts in the puddle look very deep so I can imagine after a good rain you will be up to your seat if you take the middle path.

This picture is from the west side of the puddle!

Not too far up the road we are bouncing over baby head rocks going up to a surprising concrete section. In the picture below you can see my bike to the right of the concrete. As far as I know the story goes that a resident along Warloop road began privately paving the road and it has deteriorated since. The worn concrete creates a large lip which is about 1 foot deep at the end. In this picture I am attempting to go around it and shoot up the side to a smoother transition.

I kind of get stuck on a rock and look back... Chris has shut his bike off and is starting to climb off it... not good. I stop trying to advance and go to see whats up.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Here is a better view of where my bike is when I stop to help Chris. The ledge is where my Camelbak is sitting. I am pretty sure if I were to be coming down this section my F800 could easily clear the ledge without a problem and be down the rocks. This trail is easy compared to some of the stuff we saw in Colorado!

Chris is cursing.. really pissed off. All of a sudden his bike has no electric power at all, no spark. We discuss what it could be and pull the seat to check for fuses. Yep.. the main fuse is blow.

Not knowing what causes the fuse to blow is frustrating. Chris is extremely pissed that such a small item could cripple his bike only minutes into the ride. We have no spare fuses between us (hey! I am a mechanical engineer, not a sparky, I don't think of these things!).

Soon we settle into a plan to get the bike running again...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
malsin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
This is an unmarked trail we decided to take. Started off really cool, got even cooler and then eventually got way too exciting for me, as you will see later in the ride report.

If this is where I think it is (north of Oark), then the "road" after this (if the picture is in the direction of travel) had lots of very deep "puddles"/potholes and mandatory jumps or bypasses that I wouldn't want my F650 anywhere near ...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsin
If this is where I think it is (north of Oark), then the "road" after this (if the picture is in the direction of travel) had lots of very deep "puddles"/potholes and mandatory jumps or bypasses that I wouldn't want my F650 anywhere near ...
Very true my friend. I will post more details on the exact location of this picture when we get there. You know that pic at the start without most of my front end bodywork?... Well that incident was on this very road...

EnderTheX screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 11:43 AM
Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 AM   #20
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
"Pebbles are poison to pirates."

Good one child, I strive to hit some gravel roads on every ride.
Jim
on2wheels52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #21
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So after discovering that Chris' mighty 640A has been crippled by a fuse, we decide to turn my bike around and I will go for some fuses. I ride down Warloop road from the ledge and back into town.

When I get to town there is a large gas station on the edge and I road up to the front door. Several groups of pirates are getting gas, chilling, etc around there and I get a lot of startled and confused looks I just love my F8!

I ask the clerk if he has any fuses and at first he dismissively says someone bought all of them. Seeing my dismay he leads me over to some random boxes on the side of the store with loose fuses. There are no large 20A automotive fuses but I keep looking and find a medley of fuses. Small 20As, large 30A, 25A, 15A, 10A. I grab about 10 of them and the clerk glances at them in my hand and asks a dollar for the lot. I proclaim these are very reasonably priced fuses and quickly speed off towards Warloop road.

Chris in the meantime has done little to reassemble his bike because we both know the fuses could blow the second we try to start it and we would be on the hunt for damaged wires.

We assemble the bike and it starts right up! Daylight lost, we make tracks up Warloop, crossing over it relatively easily.

Above the ledge and concrete it becomes a nice dirt road.

Along the way I am always on the lookout for prime remote camp sites. Places like this are great for pulling over and pitching camp after a hard days ride. In the Ozark forest you can do this anywhere you can find accommodating terrain. This is one that I marked with my GPS

Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Continuing through the forest there are many places where roads appear out of nowhere. Here we get off a larger gravel road for a smaller trail that probably doesn't get any logging trucks.

We are jumping each other to get pictures during the ride. I will stop for a minute and let Chris pass and then wait for him to set up so he can shoot some photos.

In the trees lighting is challenging especially when you have only seconds to plan the shot and one chance to get it right. We aren't going back and forth to get ride shots because it would take too long!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #23
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I love these classic Arkansas forest roads!! There are hundred of miles of this networked throughout the state. Most of these roads are not too challenging so would be perfect for a large bike like a 1200, watch out though because you could suddenly run into some crazy stuff!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I am usually going very fast on these roads and Chris is staying behind me to keep out of the dust. Without rain for the past few weeks the dust is huge!!!

Evidence of logging is all around us. Some of the roads have been improved to speed the logging trucks up and down.

They took our trees!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #25
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Plenty of these cool little bridges are scattered throughout the forest. Makes me wonder if these had been creek crossing before...

Those rocks look pretty big but I bet you could bounce over them! Did I mention the weather was absolutely perfect?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #26
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oh no! We are stopped by a road block on the road to White Rock Mountain! We are suspicious that there is heavy road work going on because the road we just crossed was brand new gravel. Not wanting to get stuck or completely turned around we take a detour.

The location of the road block is here: 35.676842,-93.920674

EnderTheX screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 09:01 PM
Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #27
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Riding down the newly surfaced gravel road is pretty neat. The gravel is really slick and super black. You can't tell in this picture because of the heavy light but the road was a very alien color.

All of a sudden we come up to a small trail and I can see a river through the trees. This has good potential for an awesome camp site!!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Turns out there was a really cool site at the bottom of the trail complete with several camp sites and a network of roads that probably lead to even more.

This one was taken though. Looks like these people really know how to camp and probably come here often.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #29
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
And, then...?

hey - where's the rest of this ride report?!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,689
Good for you to get off the beaten path. A few weeks back and I also had to stop mid-way up Warloop but for a different reason. Thanks for sharing your report. nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote