Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #31
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
hey - where's the rest of this ride report?!
Don't worry I will post the rest this weekend, had to process pics and get back into the groove. Formula 1 is on so I will be watching that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain
Good for you to get off the beaten path. A few weeks back and I also had to stop mid-way up Warloop but for a different reason. Thanks for sharing your report. nlp
Thanks Nate Cool pic! That tree was still kinda limp when we were there but I guess someone had cleared the hanging stuff. I thought Warloop was fun and definitely want to go back down it sometime.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #32
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
Did ya'll stop for gas in Jasper, AK? I ran into some ADV guys doing the Arkansas TAT from the DFW area, one from Ft Worth, one from Arlington and forgot the third. Where is Warloop Rd, I really want to ride that? Thanks for the great report.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #33
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle
Did ya'll stop for gas in Jasper, AK? I ran into some ADV guys doing the Arkansas TAT from the DFW area, one from Ft Worth, one from Arlington and forgot the third. Where is Warloop Rd, I really want to ride that? Thanks for the great report.
Hey dude, sorry those were not us in Jasper, we were two riders (although it is a very strange coincidence Chris is from Ft Worth and I lived more than 8 years in Arlington.

Warloop road is HERE (Map Link) The "A" is where we started west to east, the traditional route is east to west so you go down the step.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #34
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

After checking out those riverside campsites we proceeded east and hit some pavement. On the maps this pavement looked promising, AR-23 going north. It was super curvy but crowded because there was some rally going on in the area and the pirates were out in force! :ymca (Nothing against pirates, I just really enjoy saying that word )

We rapidly caught up with a slow moving group and there was no way to pass because it stretched on as far as we could see. I went into worm mode and crawled at 10mph on a strait until we saw someone catching up with us and then wrung the throttle to get some good twisties in, repeat as needed, worked pretty good.

There was a photographer along the route but I haven't been able to find my picture!

In the back woods there are lots of cool old structures and I got a few shots to contribute to the popular picture thread.

I was on the lookout for fall colors and noticed some trees had these berry clusters. Kinda reminds me of insects because of a large concentrations of berries (or fruits, whatever).

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Since we were on the lookout for camp sites we would notice some side roads. More often than not they had gates on them or were marked as closed. This one had a couple puny signs indicating no admittance. Could be some crazy trail down there! (or someone's house!)

It was marked by a relatively clean looking piece of tape so me thinks someone has been down there recently!

While stopping to wait for Chris I hop off and take a self-bike pic. It is so dusty on the trails I had to wait a minute for the dust to settle. The dust forces Chris to ride a few minutes behind.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #36
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Pirate Rally

Great RR! I was in the same area at the same time, rode my KLR650 down from St. Louis for several days of riding the twisties out of Harrison, AR. On Saturday, I went to Jasper and then to Ponca and eventually started going north on 23 also as my route went through Eureka Springs and then back into Branson as my base of opps. Arghh, Pirates everywhere on every route even 40 miles away from E. Springs in large numbers. Little did I know it was the biker/Corvette weekend and also a lot of spillover from the rally at Fayetteville. So here I am on my blue Kawasaki in packs of pirates going into town. My it was loud! I pulled over a couple of times on my ride to check my maps and usually there were pirates there doing the same. Some were very nice, some wouldn't even look at me. Whilst I was getting gas on the main drag it looked like they were getting ready for a parade of Vettes. I still had an hour or so to go on my route so I booked it out of town. Man the scenery was fantastic!

Contrast this to my ride to Potosi, MO yesterday with a buddy of mine who said there was a BMW rally and swap meet at the fairgrounds. Very cool, ADV style bikes everywhere and the fairgrounds was filled with Beemers and tents and all around nice people that had ridden there from everywhere. Funny thing, most of the BMW riders were wearing fluorescent jackets and lots of safety clothing. Arkansas has no helmet law so
doo-rags were the protection of choice in E. Springs. I love the area and would love to explore some of the off-road areas. The Buffalo river area was very cool also.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVExplorer
ps - overdue, but tell Chris that an FJ Cruiser is about as similar to a PT Cruiser as his bike is to a pink Hello Kitty bicycle. my FJ kicks arse!
Haha, noted! I am intrigued by the FJ cruisers especially for their dirt oriented design. They seem to incorporate many practical features that less rugged vehicles exclude, such as the plastic body panels, sealed and waterproof interior and factory suspension package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump
Great RR! ...

Arghh, Pirates everywhere on every route even 40 miles away from E. Springs in large numbers.

Contrast this to my ride to Potosi, MO yesterday with a buddy of mine who said there was a BMW rally and swap meet at the fairgrounds. Very cool, ADV style bikes everywhere and the fairgrounds was filled with Beemers and tents and all around nice people that had ridden there from everywhere.
Darren
Thanks Darren Too bad you got caught in the middle of em

I would like to attend a BMW rally someday, especially if there are lots of advriders! I've never ridding in a group larger than 2 on long dirt trips so it may be quite an experience. Of course swapping stories would be great too, I love hearing about everyone's greatest exploits!

And so, as we proceed on the smooth dirt roads through the forest I come across the waypoint where some tracks (courtesy of other Arkansas riders in the regional forum) lead off the beaten path. Here are the coordinates of the trail-head.

It starts off in a really cool black dirt section that has some 4x4 tracks all around it. Someone has been having fun in this little area. This spot isn't too large and we are rapidly consumed by the forest.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #38
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

This is a typical section of the trail. There were tons of small puddles and most of them were easy to navigate. It offered just the right variety of technical riding and varied terrain to keep us excited. I would hate to see this trail after a couple days of heavy rain though, probably impassable.

More trail:

Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #39
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I come quickly to a larger puddle with several ruts. I choose the wrong rut and it start to curve in the middle of some slick mud. Down I go laughing

The bike seems content to take a nap, it's been a long day already. Looks like I locked up the front trying to slow down!

At least I went over before it got wet, dry boots are good

Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #40
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

What can I say... I like posing with the ADV salute

When I first came on the site and found out the official ADV salute was the bird I knew... I am home now.

I take a picture for the equipment threads on the F800 forum showing how well the SW Motech bars work. Little did I know they would be seriously tested soon after!

Chris clears the puddle with little drama and we are off!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #41
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Further down the trail we come into a clearing with a couple ponds. A peaceful breeze blew through the air.

A deep puddle lay between us and the pond, no worries, just lift the boots a bit

Most of the puddles we came across during the trip had hard bottoms and as long as you follow the ruts you are fine.

There are a lot of campsites in this area and we stop to mark the location and check it out.

I'm pretty sure this is an old beaver pond, you can see the old dirt dam in the first picture. Beavers are one of my favorite animals mostly because I can relate to them as an engineer.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #42
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
it's getting good
Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
subscribed

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #44
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVExplorer
Oliver -
Once again, excellent adventure and ride report! I can see why you've been back to Arkansas a few times. It's amazing that Chris has never been to Arkansas . Look forward to the rest of the report.
Cheers

ps - overdue, but tell Chris that an FJ Cruiser is about as similar to a PT Cruiser as his bike is to a pink Hello Kitty bicycle. my FJ kicks arse!
@#*&^ LOOK WHAT YOUVE DONE OLIVER, makin me look like some kinda illtraveled bafoon!!! Wise guys, allofya.

RE: FJ Cruiser... OOOH you're right, i was thinking of the HHR, my bad
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #45
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by child
@#*&^ LOOK WHAT YOUVE DONE OLIVER, makin me look like some kinda illtraveled bafoon!!! Wise guys, allofya.

Haha, we all know that if you haven't been there on two wheels, you never really experienced it.

On to the next installment...

At this point after passing through the campground we were on a real road, no more trail. It was pretty obvious many people had come up to this area to relax and camp out, no surprised considering it was amazingly peaceful!!

Further down the road stuff starts to get hairy!

I find myself bouncing over some rocks, nothing too bad, we had done this type of stuff in Colorado...

All of a sudden they start to get bigger and looser, I think I accidentally grab a bit of throttle while bouncing and the bike rockets and flips 90 deg in the air into a fucking tree!!!

I have a still image in my mind of the bike stopping like a cartoon, directly in the tree and my body flying through the air. I was looking at the bike and didn't see what I landed on.

Instantly I feel pain throughout the left side of my body and I'm stunned. First thing I think about is the bike and I hear it has stopped running. I hear Chris yelling asking if I'm alright and after a few seconds I feel all my limbs and shout back that I'm OK.

Of course Chris starts with the pictures before I am even firmly on my feet, what are ADV friends for?