Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Well, initially the damage looks great and we document a bit of what happened. The more I look at it the more hopeful I am that it will turn out OK.

Here are the damn rocks that caused my bike to meet it's fate. Looking at this picture I notice a smooth line on the left side... Well hind sight is 20/20 they say

Here is the tree... It got what it deserved. I'm just glad it didn't have any buddies close by to intercept my flight path.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #47
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

It took all of our combined strength to wrestle the bike from the tree and ditch. After we got it up a group of two ATVs came by and asked if we were OK... "Oh sure we're fine" we replied , hard parts over.

This is why I carry zip ties!!

I had just replaced that damn blinker cover literally two weeks ago from my fall on Black Bear!!!!

We check the bike, everything looks good structurally. The lights are a bit tweaked and still work but the forks look OK, frame OK, wiring, hoses etc OK, just some plastic.

I strap the pieces to my luggage and we head down the rest of the trail.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #48
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
BMW Rally

I think the BMW rally is an annual event and riders come from all over the midwest to attend. I heard from an attendee that they had a 150mi. dual sport ride Sat. morning.

Did you guys have many flats on your ride?

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #49
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump
I think the BMW rally is an annual event and riders come from all over the midwest to attend. I heard from an attendee that they had a 150mi. dual sport ride Sat. morning.

Did you guys have many flats on your ride?

Darren
Hi Darren That dual sport ride sure sounds fun, if there is anywhere you can cover 150 miles of awesome dirt in a day with a big group, it is out here!

Not to spoil any ride report suspense but no, we did not have any flats. I am continuously impressed by the F800GS' ability to resist pinch flats and punctures when I ride with road pressures on the dirt (I just knocked on my wooden desk). If I am on hard packed soil and rocks I find the road pressures are quite sufficient for traction. Only when I am in very soft sand and sure I won't encounter frequent sharp rocks will I lower the pressures from 36 to say... 28 or so.

Edit: P.S. I carry enough tools to change a tube and/or fix a tube in the wild even when I am on day trips from my home. (Not when I'm commuting though...)
Old 10-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #50
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX

Crap, Oliver - looks like you made rocks your favorite!

(Glad you didn't hurt your ribs again on that tree...)

P.S. What's wrong with Chris? I've been to Arkansas twice, and I'm a Californicator!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #51
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Crap, Oliver - looks like you made rocks your favorite!

(Glad you didn't hurt your ribs again on that tree...)

P.S. What's wrong with Chris? I've been to Arkansas twice, and I'm a Californicator!

Nice one Kelly lol.

I know! Chris needs to get out more, I think it is all that time he has to spend fixing his KTM

I can't say much because I'm going to be lucky if my bike isn't out of commission for more than a month...

Luckily in the meantime I have my trusty 08 SV650SF (with over 25k miles on it) to keep me company.

These are from my ride two days ago...

Sorry I hijacked my own thread , I need to process more pictures and get this going, although Chris said he had some comments to post after I put up my rocky road pics.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #52
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Who knew BMW and Oliver were tree hugging hippies?

Ok so, per the usual, I'm behind Oliver and watched the whole shebang happen. Of course i DIDN'T get it on video (I got nothing this trip, per a formatting whoops I blame Oliver for, despite him not having anything to do with it) sooo I shall try my best to describe his fall.

Sooo we're moving along and start down this hill. I'm sticking pretty close to Oliver because I THINK the camera is on and theres no dust at these speeds. All starts well till about half way down, Oliver is on the right in the loose stuff and his bike starts into the slowest tank slapper I've ever seen; I think he oscillates back and forth 3 or 4 times. On the last wiggle the bike suddenly stops its oscillation and accelerates strait (strait for the bike, which was not strait for the trail), launches off the little birm and gives a FIRM hug to the nearest tree. Some how as it accelerated from its slowmo oscillation, the bike kind of rolls 90 degrees and meets the tree real perpendicular like; parallel with the ground. The bike of course stopped dead in its tracks and Oliver, being the free body he is, kept going; doing his best impression of the first Storm Trooper to forcibly dismount his speeder bike on the forest moon of Endor in Return of the Jedi (run along little sentence, run on).

See video below, the first crash after Chewbaka gets him with his blaster

Oliver dismounted EXACTLY like that, except Oliver was rotated 90 degrees; parallel with the ground... and there wasn't an explosion, and we weren't on any sort of forest moon.

Fun stuff.
Arkansas 2010

child screwed with this post 10-11-2010 at 09:41 PM
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #53
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Oliver is on the right in the loose stuff and his bike starts into the slowest tank slapper I've ever seen;
How fast were you going to get into a tank slapper. It's rocks for-sure but they don't seem huge. I know the front suspension on the F800 isn't the greatest.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #54
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
How fast were you going to get into a tank slapper. It's rocks for-sure but they don't seem huge. I know the front suspension on the F800 isn't the greatest.

(cool post Chris)

Meh...... I was definitely going faster than I should have been. Prob in the range where I should have been in second gear instead of first to avoid the bust of power by accidental throttle twist. My front suspension is great since I have the hyperpro progressive springs and heavy oil I'm just not the most awesome super loose rock rider with a 550 lb bike (luggage).
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #55
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
I don't think it was a true tank slapper, as we were decelerating (or at least steady state) down the hill. Speed isn't what did him in, our speed was very reasonable for the situation.

I think the rear locked initially which caused the back to slide left and right on the loose stuff, some where in that slide was probably a harsh jab or two of the front brakes which exacerbated things. As things were being exacerbated there was probably a accidental jab of the throttle, as Oliver suggested, resulting in some unintended horizontal hippy action.

Really just some bad luck, we've been on much worse and more technical stuff with no issues. Bad slide, accidental throttle/brake jockying (hey maybe some of the pirate juice rubbed off... they're big throttle jockers), and an inconvenient tree.

ALSO:
Help me convince Oliver its not worth the thousand(s?) to fix his plastic, the 800 looks CUTE with out its beak

ALSO ALSO:
LittleWan, I thought you were on my side
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #56
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Thumb

Quote:
Of course Chris starts with the pictures before I am even firmly on my feet, what are ADV friends for?
...of course!- thats what he gets paid for....no!?

you two again!- nice RR again!!!

keep it comin!

greets
peter

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #57
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 463
Hey Oliver, I feel your pain. We have lots of rocky roads like that around my area of the world and as I am often following mates on DRZ400's they always like to make it as difficult for me as possible. I have been reading all your posts and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

A few experiences I will share with you.

1. I know lots of experts on here will always tell you to turn your ABS off when on dirt and the first 5,000km I did on my F800GS I did just that. I have since (another 5,000km) been experimenting leaving it on and am amazed where it works brilliantly. The lay over you had in the mud due to front wheel lock would not have happened with the ABS on. I have done lots of brake testing on very wet red clay with ABS on and off as well as normal riding and found the ABS is a fall over saver.

In these situations the brakes still slow you as best they can and still partially lock but release just as quick, stopping the full lock and subsequent fall over.

2. With the really rocky spots I was getting a lot of full lock flicks when the front wheel hit the wrong rock. I have since fitted a Rallye-Moto steering dampener and it has not happened since. Well, not to the same extent where it was close to an off.

Plenty on here will contradict this, I do not wish to imply I am an expert off-road. I just thought I would pass on my own personal experiences with the same bike on very similar roads.

Enjoying the reports, keep up the good work.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #58
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by child
LittleWan, I thought you were on my side
Oh, sorry Chris. I was just trying to get in on the fun.

Besides, Oliver needed some cheering up...
1) He just hit a tree.
2) He doesn't have a KTM.

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #59
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket
2. With the really rocky spots I was getting a lot of full lock flicks when the front wheel hit the wrong rock. I have since fitted a Rallye-Moto steering dampener and it has not happened since. Well, not to the same extent where it was close to an off.

Plenty on here will contradict this, I do not wish to imply I am an expert off-road.
If the damper works for you, it works for you. Maybe you could change your technique to not need one, but fact is, with your current technique, the damper works for you. End of story. Plus, probably costs about the same as a broken front fender
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #60
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 463
Sorry for highjacking your thread for a moment Chris and Oliver, I assure you I won't post again, just some things need to be said.

Crazybrit writes, "If the damper works for you, it works for you. Maybe you could change your technique to not need one, but fact is, with your current technique, the damper works for you. End of story"

You know, I thought these forums would be an avenue for like minded people to share experiences to maybe make each others lives a little easier and a lot more informed. Cocks like Crazybrit are the reason I won't be posting again, all they want to do is criticise without knowing what they are really talking about. They know nothing about the events or experience of who they comment about and probably bugger all about what they are talking about.

Who knows, Crazybrit may be a world champion in off road riding, then his unsubstantiated comments might be well intentioned and informed comment, but I bet he isn't. If steering dampeners, in this case, are useless and only there to cover up bad riding technique, why do you see so many world class competitors using them on their bikes in championship events? The cynic might say it is simply for the sponsors money, but I do not think so.

My bet would be it is simply physics. A spinning wheel hits a large object at an angle which alters the wheels direction. The steering dampener simply restricts this action which allows the rider a little more control. Nothing too technical about that.

Again Oliver and Chris, sorry for taking the focus away from your journey, I am enjoying it and cannot thank you enough for taking what I know is considerable time and effort to post these stories. I will now go back to simply reading, to comment really is not worth the bullshit that comes as replies.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote