Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #61
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket
Crazybrit writes, "If the damper works for you, it works for you. Maybe you could change your technique to not need one, but fact is, with your current technique, the damper works for you. End of story"

[FONT=Arial]You know, I thought these forums would be an avenue for like minded people to share experiences to maybe make each others lives a little easier and a lot more informed. Cocks like Crazybrit
Dude, I was agreeing with you .... I was commenting on your "Plenty on here will contradict this" and trying to say you should just ignore as the damper works for you. The technique bit wasn't meant as the insult you seem to have taken it as.

Wow. I'm not sure what else to say. If your skin is really this thin, maybe you should go elsewhere. The one thing we do agree on, apologies to the thread owners for this distraction.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #62
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVExplorer
Glad you're ok. Perhaps ebrabaek could whip up a carbon fiber beak...even if it was painted yellow it would be better than an OEM, right?. Look at all the potential business he could have from us fellow F8 crashers!
True! I have seen some of his threads and it looks pretty easy. I have worked with fiberglass in the same manner when we were building prototype race cars (coincidentally Chris was on some of the same teams as I was). I may give it a shot myself especially since I can hold the broken pieces together with glue while laying up the carbon. I probably wouldn't paint it if I could get a good finish.

Quote:
The lay over you had in the mud due to front wheel lock would not have happened with the ABS on. I have done lots of brake testing on very wet red clay with ABS on and off as well as normal riding and found the ABS is a fall over saver.

2. With the really rocky spots I was getting a lot of full lock flicks when the front wheel hit the wrong rock. I have since fitted a Rallye-Moto steering dampener and it has not happened since. Well, not to the same extent where it was close to an off.
Good suggestions. I always disable the ABS (with the button) when I am on dirt of any kind. I find this mainly helpful on gravel surfaces because they rapidly confuse the system into almost not stopping at all and I've almost run myself off the road several times because of it.

Interesting that you say it works in mud. Mud being a tricky surface I will try it next time I am in a muddy area and not next to a cliff I don't trust the ABS near cliffs

(Also don't worry about crazybrit or posting here, I'm sure you two can work your differences and I welcome anyone with input or opinions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
The one thing we do agree on, apologies to the thread owners for this distraction.
No problems, this was probably due to a lack of emoticons since it is hard to tell what people are implying by text alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Help me convince Oliver its not worth the thousand(s?) to fix his plastic, the 800 looks CUTE with out its beak
Hey I didn't buy this bike to look "cute"

I like the way my bike looks with the beak and all, the goal is to scare soccer-moms and little children and to make the Harley riders I meet talk about my bike instead of theirs

Edit: oh crap, I don't have any more pictures processed, more ride report coming as soon as I run them through and upload em!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #63
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So after we got the bike up and running, no structural damage to see, forks actuating, luggage strapped back on, we continue on the normal route.

Soon we are blocked by a gate, I'm scratching my head because I swear this was part of the route from the Arkansas guys, maybe not?... Looks like the gate has been there a long time and there is a well established turn-about where my bike is standing when I'm taking the photo.

At this point, it is already late in the afternoon, I had just recovered from my crash and we hadn't eaten a thing all day. I had visions of hamburgers in my head and I had purposefully routed us through Oark to make sure we got a taste of one of the best burgers around!

We come across a really cool creek crossing and we pause for some photos. This helps to remind me why we are here and also that I am lucky not to have any serious injuries. Money is one thing when considering repairs but good health and pleasant surroundings is certainly priceless

Chris rides over the creek and takes my pic crossing. The riverbed is solid and not slippy. We rarely get anything like this in Texas so it is a treat!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #64
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

We try to connect with the original road that was blocked but I'm not making an epic effort, we get turned around once again and I head strait for the pavement and closer to food!!!!

We hit pavement, I wait for Chris to catch up since he is avoiding the dust (really dusty, I would totally do the same thing).

We roar up the road and soon I am flying at extra legal speeds, carving the corners and racing towards the goal.

In the small town of Oark I barely have time to coast down to subsonic speeds before the cafe is in sight. They are open!!!!!

I take a minute to survey the damage again while Chris disembarks, doesn't look too bad

Old 10-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #65
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So we make it inside the cafe and it is mostly empty. We are late for lunch but I have one thing on my mine... hamburger!!!

The waitress comes over and lo and behold she is the same one who served me my fantastic burger earlier this year. She is a very young local (must be 14-15) who can hold her own when chatting with customers. We recognize each other and comment on the proceeding biker rally and general happenings of the day. Of course I order my usual bacon-cheeseburger (my usual , 3rd time to have it here).

I don't usually go for dessert when I'm not riding but we are on a motorcycle trip! What better than pie!?!

The cafe at Oarks not only has the best burgers in the area but the pies are awesome!!!! I go for a spectacular apple pie (I opted out of the ice cream on top even though they insisted).

A beautiful sight...

Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #66
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Chris tries his best at a serious face for the camera. We are about to fill our backpacks with tap water for the night. Not sure what is going on here but this was seriously the best tasting tap water I have ever tasted (I prefer water over soda)!! 5 stars!!

Soon we are off to my super secret camp site next to a river (J/K I will post a map as soon as I get around to it ). The sun is getting low and it is getting mighty cold on the ride. I seriously regret leaving my jacket at home and crank the heated grips up to max.

When we arrive there is a couple in the exact spot I wanted but I had noticed another developed site a couple hundred feet earlier that was open. We stop at the crossing to check the conditions.

It is lower than I had seen before!!!! I had turned around here on a previous solo trip (see my signature line for previous trips) and with good reason. Now it would be easy to cross.

We return to the site I saw earlier and start to unload.

Soon the tents are up and we have claimed our spot. The fire circle is well established and we set out to gather some wood for the cold night.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #67
Tn. Walrus
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 303
Man!......... A broken beak!.......... That SUCKS!! A CF beak would be very cool though.

Oh and how about them Red Bulls!!! Go Mark Weber!

Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.

IBA# 49285
Tn. Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #68
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Soon the tents are up and we have claimed our spot. The fire circle is well established and we set out to gather some wood for the cold night.
WE SET OUT TO GATHER FIRE WOOD?!?! I very clearly remember ME setting out to gather fire wood while you cried about some music a few camps over

Also, for any of you who may hook up with Oliver on a ride. DO NOT forget to pack snacks for him to eat. You WILL fall behind his grandpa eating schedule. This guy gets cranky and starts bypassing fun roads like nobodies business. He also will not stop to take your picture, or for you to take his. He will not respond to english, and he throws poop. Bring snacks (that he likes) to keep him under control, you don't want to be in the way of him and a young waitress... erm I mean a burger.

Quote:
We hit pavement, I wait for Chris to catch up since he is avoiding the dust (really dusty, I would totally do the same thing).
The dust output of those fancy Heidenau tires of his goes up by the square of his hunger. This requires hanging further and further back, which does not bode well with his worsening mood, as he has to wait longer and longer for you to catch up. This is a dangerous spiral to find your self in.

You've been warned
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #69
zzlejeune
Wanna-be Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Subscribed!! I finished your Colorado RR earlier, (We were on Black Bear at the same time), and we plan on a Arkansas trip in Spring, so your giving us good intel.......

Southern Boyz invade Colorado
zzlejeune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #70
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn. Walrus
Man!......... A broken beak!.......... That SUCKS!! A CF beak would be very cool though.

Oh and how about them Red Bulls!!! Go Mark Weber!
Woohoo! I'm rooting for Vettel myself but Mark is cool too. Too bad Vettel messed up his chances by not keeping his head on strait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by child
WE SET OUT TO GATHER FIRE WOOD?!?! I very clearly remember ME setting out to gather fire wood while you cried about some music a few camps over
Well I didn't just cry over it, I walked through the woods and talked to the potheads camping a good 500 ft from our campsite to turn it down. The music was so loud we were yelling at each other to hear. Luckily they did turn down the music and then I met Jason on the way back to camp and he gave me a huge bundle of fire wood (Thanks Jason!! ). So effectively I saved the day and got just as much firewood as you gathered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlejeune
Subscribed!! I finished your Colorado RR earlier, (We were on Black Bear at the same time), and we plan on a Arkansas trip in Spring, so your giving us good intel.......
Hey dude, small world! I'm going to post our tracks and also our intended tracks. Unfortunately we couldn't do the entire route due to delays but I compiled a bunch of data from the regional forum into a wicked cool route through the Ozark national forest and the Buffalo river park. When I get the data posted I will update the first post with it too, maybe I will upload the intended route today when I get home.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #71
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Good suggestions. I always disable the ABS (with the button) when I am on dirt of any kind. I find this mainly helpful on gravel surfaces because they rapidly confuse the system into almost not stopping at all and I've almost run myself off the road several times because of it.

Interesting that you say it works in mud. Mud being a tricky surface I will try it next time I am in a muddy area and not next to a cliff I don't trust the ABS near cliffs

(Also don't worry about crazybrit or posting here, I'm sure you two can work your differences and I welcome anyone with input or opinions.)
I was very hesitant at first as well, did many "emergency stop" practices in very safe areas as well to reassure myself. When you look back at your tracks you can see the wheel(s) have been locking and releasing, something you would be doing but nowhere near as effeciently. Never turn it off now.

If you think about the times you left it on and it apppeared you were not going to stop, the alernative is a big lock up and off.

As for crazybrit, if he is listening, please accept my apologies, too often on here people get personal way too quick and turn to insults and unjustified comment (like "adjust your technique") instead of constructive detailed advice (what technique should be used?). You caught me on an off morning.

But do not worry, nothing really upsets Aussies, we just cannot tolerate bullshit, especially from Pommies
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #72
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
I was very hesitant at first as well, did many "emergency stop" practices in very safe areas as well to reassure myself. When you look back at your tracks you can see the wheel(s) have been locking and releasing, something you would be doing but nowhere near as effeciently. Never turn it off now.
Very true, one reason I want to try it on mud and possibly deeper sand.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on it still spooks me on gravel, the gravel I'm talking about is very common in Texas. Rocks about 10-20mm in diameter loosely scattered over hard dirt, so loose that you can easily see the dirt. This stuff is lethal with ABS, when the tire locks up it kind of digs into the soil and moves the rocks out of the way, with abs it seems to skate over the top of the rocks. Just be careful

Here are a couple pictures from when I left our camp to talk to the stoners across the creek. The light was fading fast, the first picture was taken before the second only my camera's auto light settings made it seem much darker.

I have camped solo in Arkansas before but never in such a remote location. I really enjoyed camping out here and I felt like we (and myself alone) had sufficient gear to stay the night.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #73
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,423
The burger and pie look great, the F8 not so much.
First CO now this, you guys rock!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #74
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
The burger and pie look great, the F8 not so much.
First CO now this, you guys rock!

Thanks Bob Lets get to more pics!!!

Sorry peeps, I've been concerned about my bike the past couple days, my dealer hasn't gotten the final number just yet but the repairs may be more costly than what Chris paid for his entire 640 ADV. Thank goodness for full coverage insurance, my insurance company better man up!!!

So that night after gather firewood and setting up the tents we start a good fire.

Fire is no joke in the wild especially with these remote sites, it will get cold and very dark. A good fire can provide warmth, cooking, animal deterrent, insect deterrent, social comfort, mental stimulation, etc etc.

Chris rapidly built larger and larger pyramids of wood until we found ourselves scooting back from the intense heat.

Later Chris grabbed the camera and got artsy.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #75
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Jason came over and we had a great time chatting about all sort of stuff like our first bikes, running from the cops, camping, formula 1, etc. Soon it was getting very cold, I had finished my flask of Bourbon and Jason was called back to his camp site. We let the fire die down before retreating to the tents.

The next morning I awake around 9am and force myself out of bed. Chris can't be woken so I walk around camp a bit taking a couple pics. This gate behind our tents seems to close off a former trail, it is not on our GPS.

The US Forest Service sure leaves a mark and a relatively sturdy fence.