Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #76
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
I try to wake Chris again and give up, Jason had offered us fire in the morning so I take a picture of the camp site and start walking to his area.

We are late to rise and when I arrive Jason has a huge fire going and they are packing up camp. I'm greeted by his energetic dog Jack and his wife ( dang I forgot her name, I'm the worst with names. ). The fire feels great and we chat about what we will do that day and how awesome it is out here. They are going to a location where a large Elk herd roams, nearby. We are going up the trail off the GPS map onto a rough road.

I get a picture before they leave, they leave us with the last of their firewood (about 8 large chunks) since they are headed home. Survival experts say to gather as much wood as you think you need, then gather 3X that amount and you will be OK. Jason brought 8X and with our mooching it was just enough

These are highly established fire rings and camp sites, almost better than most regulated camp sites, except we have a river right by us and true remote camping!

A cool leaf I found... 90% of the trees were still green but some had rapidly turned, I couldn't tell if it was a specific species that turned early or just random trees.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #77
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

OK, time to divulge the location of this awesome camp site and beginning of this cool trail.

These are the coordinates: 35.82193,-93.461773

This is a map to the spot: MAP LINK

NOTE: The most badass camp site is on the NORTH SIDE of the river. It was occupied by music basting stoners (at least until I told them to turn down the music, then they were just the reg stoners). The south side has 2-3 badass camp sites, during holiday weekends there may be several groups here.

As we cross the river, Chris stops to take a picture of me (not sure why he isn't posting, I think he has sand in his "you know where") He has to turn around and ops to re-cross the river and loop back. Little does he know....

That part is deeper than it looks!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #78
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I take several shots of him spewing mud and rocks everywhere. Eventually I walk over and help get it out. We both have to put all our effort into extracting the 640A.

Chris takes the sensible route back across, this is the lowest this river has been in a while and I doubt anyone will see it lower. The crossing is easy and stable.

On the other side we rev our engines and start up the trial. This isn't on our GPS and we were informed it would be steep and rocky. It was a lot of fun with lengthy rocky sections and lots of small puddle, more pics to come!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #79
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
the repairs may be more costly than what Chris paid for his entire 640 ADV.Thank goodness for full coverage insurance, my insurance company better man up!!!
Yikes! Good luck (fingers crossed for you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Fire is no joke in the wild especially with these remote sites, it will get cold and very dark. A good fire can provide warmth, cooking, animal deterrent, insect deterrent, social comfort, mental stimulation, etc etc.

What do you use as a fire starter? That stuff looks fluffy...
BigWan swears by cotton balls coated with vaseline (it's scary how fast they ignite).

Also, I didn't make you guys mad with that engineering cartoon in my RR, did I?
"Can he lead a normal life?"
"No, he'll be an engineer."
(sobs)

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #80
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Yikes! Good luck (fingers crossed for you).

What do you use as a fire starter? That stuff looks fluffy...
BigWan swears by cotton balls coated with vaseline (it's scary how fast they ignite).

Also, I didn't make you guys mad with that engineering cartoon in my RR, did I?
"Can he lead a normal life?"
"No, he'll be an engineer."
(sobs)

Thanks Kelly That stuff is an old survival trick, as old as the dirt beneath our feet... Ancient legend foretold of a fluffy gray substance bestowed upon man by the gods themselves... drier lint!!!

(soon to be infused with vaseline!)

Trust me, we are resigned to our fate as engineers (well Chris is kind of a substitute-engineer, destined to protect the nerdy science of fire, photography and four stroke engines... Anime reference anyone?...)

In pursuit of knowledge I find little solace in the sympathies of others. A dull air of doubt obscures my vision when confronted by sci-fi movies or pulp fiction. Instead I turn to the darker arts of physics and mathematics.

This may be why I root for the underdog and seed dissidence among the weary groups of vigilantes who wait in the shadows to repossess the last thread of our freedom.

To find a like minded friend in the abyss of the Ozark national forest is no surprise, surely we escape the same dogma imposed throughout the ever expanding concrete jungle we reside within....
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #81
Vinny V strom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks

Thanks for posting. Great ideas for rides. I might have to head up there before it gets too cold.
I'm going to read your old ride reports for some more info.
Thanks again. Subscribed.
Vinny V strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #82
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny V strom
Thanks for posting. Great ideas for rides. I might have to head up there before it gets too cold.
I'm going to read your old ride reports for some more info.
Thanks again. Subscribed.

Hey Vinny! You should definitely check it out, I am set to go as soon as possible, even with my SV650SF if my BMW is still in the shop. Post up or PM me if you want more info, I can send tracks and info over e-mail too. I was helped by the Arkansas locals and I don't mind lending a hand in trip planning through the state!!

Continuing on through the trail north of our campsite...

It is getting interesting, one of my favorite trails of the whole trip!

Some of the trees have turned already, may be due to some early cold spells. Most of the trees are still green at this point.

I wait at the top of a steep rocky section. These sections go on much longer than expected and if you can get a good rhythm going they are super fun!

Wonder what this stuff in this tree is... spider or worms probably..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #83
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

At the end of the road from the campsite I wait for Chris, it is a good 5 minutes before he roars up to the intersection.

Continuing on the road west from this point I spot a really cool old building. The colors in the field and on the building really make the picture!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #84
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Those are called tent caterpillars.

They can wipe out a tree.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #85
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
After seeing your choice of burgers.. I had to go back up to Oark today... Normally I get a cheeseburger.... Today I tried the baconized version... Wow! Thanks for the tip. BTW here is a shot of it to remind you how good they are...

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #86
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Looks like those dang tent caterpillars already got that tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
After seeing your choice of burgers.. I had to go back up to Oark today... Normally I get a cheeseburger.... Today I tried the baconized version... Wow! Thanks for the tip. BTW here is a shot of it to remind you how good they are...

Totally not fair! You live close enough to sample the bacon cheeseburger whenever you want, I'm stuck with pictures and drool

Continuing down the road, I come across another cool old barn. There are lots of these scattered throughout the mountains, not sure if this is being used still?...

I recognize this road from one of my previous trips. Going down here it is steep but solid and very scenic.

Letting Chris by as I wait for a good picture. We were leap frogging each other to get pictures. You can see more caterpillars in the trees here too!

Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #87
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Stopping at a calm creek crossing I take a couple pics of the bike. Doesn't look too bad but will be expensive to get it back to normal.

I bet these creek crossings were a lot more fun when they weren't paved over. Some roads seem to disappear into the forest to be reclaimed by nature but many are becoming heavily traveled and paved over
Old 10-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #88
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

We blaze more roads that I remember and the dust is getting wild. I have to wait a good bit for Chris to pass.

I stop for a picture of a neat hill and I see his helmet in the distance where he is waiting for a photo. Not sure how they came out but I know I was kicking up some dust!!

We crest over the top of the mountain and there are some super tall pine trees, my favorite!

Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #89
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Soon we are on the TAT (at least I think it is) headed west towards Oark again. This part of the TAT is a super fast dirt highway in the woods with a few small bridges and scenic streams.

This is the third time I've taken a picture of this part of the road, it is impressive when you are riding at high speeds. I am regularly hitting 60+ mph in short bursts on sections where I can see far ahead. A bit of dust causes this photo to be blurry.

This is the stream under the bridge right before it turns to concrete for a couple miles before Oark.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #90
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

We arrive in Oark late in the day again and I pull into my usual spot.

I look over and Chris is intrigued by the row of cruisers parked in the grass.

He starts shining his windscreen, looks like he learned some tips from the pirates we met at the motel at the start of the journey.

Looking good Chris!

When we were getting out burgers inside, a couple next to us were chatting about the roads and I asked if they were there for the rally. Of course they were there for the rally... The wife turned to me and asked "Did you come in over the dirt road too?!?" (Oark is only accessible over dirt roads, the one being paved has a section of gravel still) It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. I quickly explained that we preferred the unpaved roads, in fact sought them out, but we were on different bikes. Then I proceeded to stuff my face in my burger. I had a pecan pie and it was awesome (although I've had better in Texas, pecan is our specialty).

We hung around for a bit resting and left about the same time as the large group of pirates that owned the bikes lined up on the lawn. They were really interested in my bike and what we were doing. I talked to them for a while about riding dual sport and what they were doing at the rally. They explained that there were over 100k bikes and possibly 400k people at the rally (holy crap!), more reason for us to stay away, I don't care for large groups. (Chris is so shy he doesn't even talk to other dual sport bikers lol).

I like pirates, good people, this group were having a great time and we wished each other safe riding and continued on our own paths.

EnderTheX screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 03:08 PM