User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #61
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 85
This kind of trip

Thank you for the engrossing ride report. As a rider of a 650 V-Strom and a small dual-sport, and reading more and more ride reports, I'm beginning to sense a pattern of the kinds of trips that appeal to me. Yours was one of those kinds, as road trips go. Your ride seemed ambitious and unstructured at the same time, an odd mix that left me with a tingly feeling. You pictures conveyed a good sense of being there.

Well done sir, carry on.
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #62
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 200
Finally got a chance to finish reading your rr. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us it was amazing! Its exactly the kind of trip I can only dream of making some day.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #63
HAULINDAVE
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 44
Thumb

Great ride and report , Mike . I'm still reading it , but had a question? . I see you have a 2001 R1150GS too . I was wondering why you road the Wee Strom over the Beemer and how you would compare them ?

Dave
Been riding for over 45yrs , motocross , endures , road-racing . Always have at least a road bike and dualsport . True Adventure Rider . Always want to explore , see whats on the other side of the mountain or around the bend .

Adventure Rider !
HAULINDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #64
Holden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Awesome ride report!!!

4 stars!
"Now I listen to my sweetheart and I listen to my thirst. I don't spend time listening to other peoples words. Sometimes they're right most times the reverse. They say the best is for the best when the best's for the worse" - Josh Ritter
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #65
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,923
Thank you for all the kind comments.

I just recently purchased the GS (last weekend) to finally take the BMW plunge again (sold my RS)

I absoloutely love my Strom and have such a close bond with it. There were times on this trip that I would have much rather had the Strom in tricky spots with crazy wind than the GS. My only complaint with the vstrom is the chain drive. I would lube it often and adjust as necessary but when riding 1000mi days in the rain and dirt, it really becomes just one more thing for me to bother with. I was never at a loss for power (except above 10k) but the GS has always been my dream bike.

Enter now to buy my Strom from this trip. Shameless plug in FM below
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #66
HBr
Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer: 284
Great report, and very nice pictures. Funny thing is, I did nearly the same path through Montana, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Utah during the same couple of weeks also on a Strom. It was like reading a narrative of my own trip! Difference is that you actually took the time to write it up, thanks! Too bad we didn't cross paths, I would have enjoyed sharing a beer with you.
HBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #67
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
Strom For Sale!!!!

Your narrative below could have been something I wrote (except I've been riding the GS for about a year now). The difference is, I've been unable to part with my Strom. It does everything I ask of it very well. I'm certain you'll find as I have, that in many if not all respects with the exception of the often chain maintenance, it's actually a more friendly bike to ride than the Beemer. There will come a time Mike when you'll be off road with the GS and find yourself wishing you were on the 100+lbs lighter Strom instead I hate to say.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
Thank you for all the kind comments.

I just recently purchased the GS (last weekend) to finally take the BMW plunge again (sold my RS)

I absoloutely love my Strom and have such a close bond with it. There were times on this trip that I would have much rather had the Strom in tricky spots with crazy wind than the GS. My only complaint with the vstrom is the chain drive. I would lube it often and adjust as necessary but when riding 1000mi days in the rain and dirt, it really becomes just one more thing for me to bother with. I was never at a loss for power (except above 10k) but the GS has always been my dream bike.

Enter now to buy my Strom from this trip. Shameless plug in FM below
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #68
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,068
Nice write up Itook a trip similar to yours. Through Co,Utah,I did a loop through AZ and Utah came home on US50. Your trip brought back lots of fond memories. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #69
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Great pics & writting...as always.

I'm so ready for a longer trip.... Need to just take the next two weeks off and go! Wonder how long it would take for them to notice I'm gone.
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #70
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,344
Don't know how I missed this ride report till today, but, read the whole thing this morning. Great pictures of some great country. Thanks for all the work of sharing your journey and pictures with us.
Tip, next time you're in some long, boring country. Stay off the Slab and do the back roads and little towns. So much more to see and occupy your time with. I also try my best to hit the tourist traps at opening time in the early morning and avoid much of the crowds and having lots to myself till they wake up and get there.
Have not had a Wee Storm , but did a quick Calif round trip on a DL1000 I had for 14 months and 18000 miles. Had an engine stumble that sucked at times in low speed situations that I never had on my 3 BMW's before and have not had on my present 1250S Bandit.
Again , Thanks for the ride report.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye
that in many if not all respects with the exception of the often chain maintenance, it's actually a more friendly bike to ride than the Beemer. There will come a time Mike when you'll be off road with the GS and find yourself wishing you were on the 100+lbs lighter Strom instead I hate to say.
Paul
I must disagree, (although my strom was a DL1000) it had more power than my GS but never felt right off pavement. My GS feels like a big dual sport, lots of suspension and the boxer keeps the weight down low. I have long legs, and I could see how a GS would seem awkward without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
DL1000 I had for 14 months and 18000 miles. Had an engine stumble that sucked at times in low speed situations
Again , Thanks for the ride report.
Mine had the same problem, sold it a 30,000 miles. My GS has 40,000 miles without a single hiccup. And I've never oiled the chain once!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #72
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 862
On splines, bearings shafts vs. sprockets and chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 413.45
My GS has 40,000 miles without a single hiccup. And I've never oiled the chain once!
My GS w/over 47k now, no issues either and I maintain religiously.

We're hijacking Mike's thread but then there's the matter of drive shaft splines and final drive bearings, things that upon failure, an expense, inconvenience and headache of monumental proportions if you are not close to home. One only need peruse through the GSpot for frequent testimonies to see. Such travails one never reads of w/chain & sprocket set-ups. I'm inclined towards the Weestrom for my cross country this spring for that reason.

Did BMW design their latest excellent creations with shaft drives? There's a message here.

PS. the 'lil wee (650) never stumbles, never complains, just constantly over-achieves.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #73
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
Just finished reading this...better late than never, right?

Great stuff Mike
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #74
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Great Report!!!! I read some at the start of it but lost it until tonight. Read the whole thing again.....

I was in many of the same areas myself this year, very interesting to see it from another perspective. Also, I notice that you took a hammock & tent. I am thinking of adding a hammock to my camping kit for next summer for use in places where I can hang it...I did notice that you didn't use it a lot...wouldn't have liked that to be the only shelter I had.

Thanks again for the RR. Very well written & tons of great pictures. Another failing of mine, I take the camera but not too many pictures.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #75
Ol_Prof
Retired but doing it

Oddometer: 38
I'm a noob on this forum - and several others, since I've only owned a '10 DL650A since September. My adventures are just beginning!

It's been a real pleasure reading your RR
HBN!I was immensely impressed with your photographic and literary talent. Thoroughly enjoyable.

May I ask what type of camera you used in capturing such amazingly crisp and chromatically rich pictures - often while moving at 60 mph +. I have had little luck myself in capturing blur-free shots on the move. And, I am curious about your camera mounting system - a movable snaky thingy attached above your dash. Is that how you were able to take shots to the rear also? Or, did you have a separate setup behind you? All of which begs the question "how did you command/execute the shots with both hands, presumably, on the handlebars"?

Curious in Canada.

Ol_Prof screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 07:52 PM Reason: spell correction
Ol_Prof is offline   Reply With Quote