Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #76
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Thanks for the kind words. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the nation, albeit in such a short amount of time.

My main camera was a Kodak M893 no-frills Point/Shoot which has taken so much abuse, it is a wonder it still works. I keep it on a lanyard around my neck zipped into the front chest pocket of my Aerostich Roadcrafter. All of my moving shots were taken with the Kodak by using my left hand to pull it out, turn it on - point and shoot (including over the shoulder shots). It takes a while to get used to it but I can get it out and shooting in mere seconds now.

For many of my stopped shots, I used by HTC Droid Incredible smart phone which allows for some built in contrast/image improvement and on-the-go photo updates for friends back home.

Best of luck in your future travels and get some one-handed photo practice if you feel daring. It makes for excellent computer backgrounds
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #77
Ol_Prof
Retired but doing it

Oddometer: 38
An Ordinary Camera - Extraordinary Results

Well, I wouldn't have thought that a Point-and-Shoot camera could have done all that, let alone your smart phone!
I too have a Kodak P&S camera (v1253) but it's slow to boot-up and focus. But, I take it with me on rides for when I'm stopped or pulled over. I also have a Canon Xti DSLR which is very much up to taking great shots in rapid succession, but it's bulky. I haven't taken it on rides for fear that it might be subject to too much jostling and vibration (even in my tank bag). I certainly wouldn't want to try using it "on the fly".
Once I get more comfortable with the bike I'll give it a try with my P&S camera. Or, I can try to rig up some kind of swivel mount for it (or a Go Pro) so it won't be too much of a chore (to get those good shots on the move). Then there is always the "helmet cam" approach which I will probably try in the future.
Thanks HBN for your quick and candid reply. I wish you happy trails on your GS!
Ol_Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #78
Strave19
n00b savant

Oddometer: 77
Thumb

Great Report! Really enjoyed reading it.

I've seen a lot of the places you went through, From CA through Idaho and MT to the midwest. I grew up in Red Lodge, at the bottom of the Beartooth Pass but have not been back there in a while now. Makes me miss it! Also went to wall drug, rushmore, and the Corn Palace as a kid!

I really want to take a big ride throughout the west (I'm in WA now), I just have to make sure my old (Only) bike ('78 kz650) is up for it. A great bike, but still recovering from a couple decades of neglect from the PO's before I got it...

Anyway, Thanks for the great read!
Strave19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #79
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Great ride report, and fantastic photography. One of the best RR's I've read through.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #80
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,919
Thank you very much for your kind words. I aim to ride some more this upcoming spring and summer with a female photographer to help liven up the story

I realized there is a section (where I rode up Mt. Evans) missing from the report. I'll have to see if I saved it elsewhere.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #81
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,169
Your pictures do POP! ..

for more travels.
Betcha your new significant photographer isn't gonna stand for that 1 hotel jazz