ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #2611
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
If you buy stuff then become an AMAZON PRIME about $75 a year

free shipping and some books and reduced prices on downloads
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #2612
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
Berkshire Adventure RE-RIDE on smaller bikes

Next Weekend: June 30th/July 1st

Berkshire Big Small Adventure Ride

we talked about doing this some weeks ago but it faded away so I'm reviving it here!

If the weather looks decent I'm in for next weekend (June 30th/July 1st) and the plan would be to camp one or perhaps two nights up in MA, ride most of the Big Adventure route but on smaller bikes.. I'd trailer up my DRZ400 for example. Perhaps we could find some other more small bike oriented sections as well.

so who's in?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #2613
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post

we talked about doing this some weeks ago but it faded away so I'm reviving it here!

If the weather looks decent I'm in for next weekend (June 30th/July 1st) and the plan would be to camp one or perhaps two nights up in MA, ride most of the Big Adventure route but on smaller bikes.. I'd trailer up my DRZ400 for example. Perhaps we could find some other more small bike oriented sections as well.

so who's in?
I am in. Trailering the 400EXC.
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #2614
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:

so who's in?
I am in
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #2615
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
I drove into beach pond but you guys were already gone!

You pack it in early?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #2616
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

We rode from 930 until about 2:30.. I thought that was a pretty good day.. I only crashed twice... I really need to learn to weight the pegs better.. and look farther up the trail... and not run into trees. We did the southern loop and parts of the northern loop. With about a 40 minute break at the gas station.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #2617
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Did 475 miles total 40 of dirt... roads really

If there is Berkshire

Still looking if any family going to dump my boys on..... I know silly
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #2618
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
We rode from 930 until about 2:30.. I thought that was a pretty good day.. I only crashed twice... I really need to learn to weight the pegs better.. and look farther up the trail... and not run into trees. We did the southern loop and parts of the northern loop. With about a 40 minute break at the gas station.
I forgot you were leaving so early. I went through at 3:45!

How'a that Husi running?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #2619
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
I forgot you were leaving so early. I went through at 3:45!

How'a that Husi running?
No issues.. new fuel pump seems to have solved that one issue I had.... too much power for my limited ability... I still get in trouble by grabbing a hand full of throttle at the wrong time.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #2620
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
yeah, nice ride today.. perfect weather and most of the puddles were half full which was a bonus. I dropped the DRZ once in some rocks and folded my front brake lever in half but it didn't break to my amazement. the end of it literally points back to the reservoir now though. Time for a replacement I suppose.. I still think it can be saved..

I'm starting to think the DRZ400/DR350 owners are the trail bike equivalent of the KLR650 owners...

Reminder:
Berkshires Big Adventure re-ride on smaller bikes next weekend!

So far the weather is looking to be New England Good (possible thunderstorms).. I've been PM-ing with Vince the BBA trailboss about some other spots to check out on the smaller bikes but so far he was leaning towards "ultra-hero" stuff while I don't think most of our group would want to try the Old Florida Road hero section from the BBA ride let alone some "ultra hero" sections but we may still get some extracurricular riding for the small bikes in addition to the regular BBA route with hero sections..

I do want to try the Tunnel Road hero but I'm not looking to ride the Old Florida Road hero unless a couple of others want to try it after the Tunnel road section was a success.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #2621
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
yeah, nice ride today.. perfect weather and most of the puddles were half full which was a bonus. I dropped the DRZ once in some rocks and folded my front brake lever in half but it didn't break to my amazement. the end of it literally points back to the reservoir now though. Time for a replacement I suppose.. I still think it can be saved..

I'm starting to think the DRZ400/DR350 owners are the trail bike equivalent of the KLR650 owners...

Reminder:
Berkshires Big Adventure re-ride on smaller bikes next weekend!

So far the weather is looking to be New England Good (possible thunderstorms).. I've been PM-ing with Vince the BBA trailboss about some other spots to check out on the smaller bikes but so far he was leaning towards "ultra-hero" stuff while I don't think most of our group would want to try the Old Florida Road hero section from the BBA ride let alone some "ultra hero" sections but we may still get some extracurricular riding for the small bikes in addition to the regular BBA route with hero sections..

I do want to try the Tunnel Road hero but I'm not looking to ride the Old Florida Road hero unless a couple of others want to try it after the Tunnel road section was a success.
If you guys are wanting to do some punishing trails, and keep a quick pace, Im in.. but with my limited gear I am confined to wearing not-vented-enough gear to get the protection I need.

I rode with craig and ed Sat morning for a quick loop @ pachaug and that pace was perfect for what I was looking for. If only I had a faster bike to wheelie over the whoops
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #2622
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Chris..to answer your PM.. My Dakars have hip and knee pads in them..they are just perforated thin pads but you could certainly replace them with more substantial armor. I can also get Acerbis and 661 stuff at a discount. Let me know if you need something.

Punishing trails and quick pace are never in the same sentence with me.

mrt10x screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 06:14 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #2623
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

I heard the Dakars are a bit too hot for summer riding, looking at chinook or baja for more ventilation

If you can persuade me that the Dakars vent enough for summer riding (90+F), Im all ears
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #2624
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,323
In 90+ degree heat, I just assume wear shorts and knee/shin guards. For the top, a chest/back protector and elbow guards keep you pretty well covered. Yes, I have elbow guards now. The biggest danger when wearing shorts is burning your leg on the pipe. Also, even wearing knee length shorts, the legs are still almost 100% covered - just more air flow. You'll certainly see a demonstration at the next camp-n-ride.

I just got some new Troy Lee Designs knee and elbow guards. The knee guards are AWESOME. First, you put on a neoprene knee brace piece. Then, you put the knee guard on and it mates to the knee brace with velcro. Before this, I was getting a lot of chaffing on the knee from the guard moving around. Not anymore. Much better protection and more comfortable.

It's hard to see the two-piece design from the pictures, but these are the ones.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ee-Guards.aspx

akarob screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 06:16 AM
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #2625
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
In 90+ degree heat, I just assume wear shorts and knee/shin guards. For the top, a chest/back protector and elbow guards keep you pretty well covered. Yes, I have elbow guards now. The biggest danger when wearing shorts is burning your leg on the pipe. Also, even wearing knee length shorts, the legs are still almost 100% covered - just more air flow. You'll certainly see a demonstration at the next camp-n-ride.

I just got some new Troy Lee Designs knee and elbow guards. The knee guards are AWESOME. First, you put on a neoprene knee brace piece. Then, you put the knee guard on and it mates to the knee brace with velcro. Before this, I was getting a lot of chaffing on the knee from the guard moving around. Not anymore. Much better protection and more comfortable.

It's hard to see the two-piece design from the pictures, but these are the ones.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ee-Guards.aspx
Ive got scarring on my left thigh/calf that will show why Ill never wear shorts, no leg protection, or anything other than protective PANTS while on the bike from now on.

No offense to the rest of ya, but I like my legs, and would like to keep them in as good a shape as I can, within reason.