ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #2656
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
What do you thing of the WR250R instead of a DRZ for single track ?
I rode a 2008 Yamaha WR-250R on the Pachaug loop in the summer and fall of 2009.
Here's my opinion on the bike:

Although the bike weighs more than an off-road-only 250cc bike by about 40 pounds, it is still easier to manover than a larger dual-purpose bike (or even a larger off-road bike) due to the smaller spinning mass of the engine.
In other words, it won't feel like the lightest trail bike to most people, but it isn't objectionable, either.
For comparison, my current 2009 Honda CRF-450X feels heavier in the tight going, even though my CRF-450X weighs less on the scale.
This has to do with the 250cc bike having less rotating (gyrosscopic) mass in the engine.

By far, the two things that would hold a WR-250R back on the trails are:
The stock street-biased tires.
The cheap stock suspension setup.

The tires are easy enough to remedy with whatever off-road-biased tire you like to try (Bridgestone M22/M23 or M603/M604 for me, and those tires are not DOT-approved, by the way, although there are some very knobby-ish tires out there that are).

The stock suspension could use some improvement because it was basically built to a price.
The suspension looks just like that of a Yamaha YZ, but that's an optical illusion.
The fork is a real Kayaba (KYB) unit, so improving that is basically just a revalve (and possibly new springs, depending on how much you weigh).
The stock fork is not really bad all by itself, but if you're going to improve the rear, it makes sense to improve the front at the same time.

The rear shock unit is not that great if you want to ride with a bit of performance in your trail pace.
It's not even a KYB shock but a unit made by Soqi, the company making the rear shocks for some Yamaha sport bikes like the YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 since those bikes came out.
These shocks have been proven to actually have air mixed with the oil straight off the showroom floor, something that basically defeats the purpose of having a gas-charged shock to begin with.
On my WR-250R, I found the suspension to be fine for plonking around as when doing some low-speed exploring or sight-seeing, but if you want to keep up to some trail veterans, the suspension action at higher speeds over rough ground leaves a lot to be desired because the tires break contact with the ground in places where a bike with a good suspension will not.
It's that simple.
I can recommend a company called Go Race Suspension, as I had my rear shock done by him and he's very familiar with how cheap the stock shock is setup internally and what needs to be done to it to make it perform as it really should.

Once the suspension is working as you'd expect a 2012 off-road bike to work, it is really a great dual-purpose bike.
The bike has a good feel off-road (once the tires and suspension are sorted), and on the street, it gives you the feeling that you could ride clear across the country at a moment's notice without any concerns for reliability.
The bike will easily hold freeway speeds, something a 250cc dual-purpose bike isn't supposed to be able to do, and it's great fun on back roads.

Other than tires and suspension, lowering the gearing is recommended, too, as the stock gearing is intentionally way too tall for trail use due to noise regulations.
Stock sprockets are 13/43 teeth.
For Pachaug trails, 12/47 or 13/50 would be the ticket.
Other than that, it's basically personal setup changes you may or may not want to make to the bike.
An FMF Q4 muffler and FMF Power Programmer are popular modifications used by many WR-250R riders.

One last note about the WR-250R:
Don't make the mistake of misunderstanding the maintenance chart in the Owner's Manual.
Basically, lots of guys with these bikes fail to realize that the 3,000 mile oil change interval and the once-every-six-months air filter service interval and the 26,000 mile valve clearance check interval is for a bike that stays on the dust- and dirt- and mud-free environment of the streets.
Like any other dirt bike, you should up all of those important maintenance tasks quite a bit if you ride it like a dirt bike in the dirt a lot of the time.
I wouldn't think about going 3,000 miles between oil changes on my dirt bike, and the WR-250R is no different.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #2657
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZEtc View Post
I rode a 2008 Yamaha WR-250R on the Pachaug loop in the summer and fall of 2009.
Here's my opinion on the bike:
Nice Response!

Thanks for taking the time to do that...
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #2658
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Nice Response!

Thanks for taking the time to do that...
That almost convinced me the next bike I should buy is a WR250R!!!!!

EDIT: On that note, does anyone have one I could test-pilot for a few minutes?

ChrisRiedinger screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 06:03 AM
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #2659
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
i agree, great response, but...

here's my 2 cents, and it is probably worth much less than that.

I started out with the 2009 KLX250S, and realized from the start the bike was underpowered, too heavy, and actually too nice (ie had lots of good looking parts to break) for the Pachaug trails. I followed lots of threads on this and other sites where people put LOTS of money (big bore kit, suspension, etc) into their KLXs to get them up to par. But they are still too heavy (at least for a little guy like me). I opted to go for the 2010 Husqvarna TE250 (which is fuel injected), and right out of the box it has 50% more HP, a way better suspension, much lighter, and higher end basic components. The same is true with the KTM line So by the time you mod another bike (non KTM or Husky or a couple others too), you have close to or more than what it would cost to buy a KTM or Husky. And I personally think the maintenance is about the same.

And, if you buy a used one like I did, the originally owner has probably already done alot to upgrade, and in my case, i didn't have to worry about that first scratch .

Don't get me wrong the KLX is a great DS (and the way my husky is currently setup, the KLX is FAR better on the road, but i think the husky could be pretty good if geared and tired properly for the road).
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #2660
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
You are searching for the mythical bike that can ride tough New England single track and then hop on the highway and take you to Canada. I think the WRR is probably the best solution to that Koan (look it up ) Many will say that any bike that attempts to be good at both, will not be great at either... a KTM 250 is clearly better in the single track, a KLR is clearly better on the highway. If you want the "one bike to unite them all" then you will have to compromise in both areas. You need to determine in which area do you want your bike to be better, on the road or in the woods. If you want a 50/50 bike then I dont think you can do better than the WRR. If you want a bike that is better in the woods then a Husky, KTM, Husaberg, Beta will be better. If you want a bike that is better on the road then a 650 is the answer. I have seen you ride that KLR in some pretty tight places.. I think you could haul a WRR around the Southern Pachaug loop and parts of the Northern loop with no problems. Totally agree with the assesment above.. if you are going to ride it like a MX bike then you need to maintain it like a MX bike.. conversely if you ride a KTM, etc etc etc like a DS bike then you can probably maintain it like a DS bike.... lots of threads on that topic already.. and no agreement. I think the WRR is the bike you are looking for though. IMHO YMMV

edit.. also a great point about the rotating mass of the engine.. my Husaberg 570 weighs the same as the Husaberg 390, yet everyone who rides them back to back says the 390 feels significantly lighter and more nimble. Same frame, same suspension, same weight, but the bigger piston and larger displacement make the 570 more unwieldy.

mrt10x screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 08:44 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #2661
Bob Q
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
But how do you get a CT registration for a ktm, beta or husky? Are they true dual sports you can easly get a CT registration for, or do you have to work the system?

Bob
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #2662
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,333
If you want a cheaper option, KLR made a 250 as well. You can get them super cheap and they are great go-anywhere bikes.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #2663
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Q View Post
But how do you get a CT registration for a ktm, beta or husky? Are they true dual sports you can easly get a CT registration for, or do you have to work the system?

Bob
They come street legal.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #2664
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
They come street legal.
So If I walk into a KTM dealer, buy an xcrw, I can get a plate from them? without having to go thru inspection?

I had to really beg them to let my DRZ pass, the fender was not sufficient. and the XCRW does not have blinkers, only the EXC's
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #2665
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,179
KTM makes 350, 500 and 690 from the factory street legal bikes..with blinkers, high low beam, and a place to put a plate.. http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro.html , Husaberg makes the 570 Street legal and Beta makes 350, 450 and 520 street legal bikes. Only the KTM 690 has a rear subframe like the WRR that can handle luggage.. I think?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #2666
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Q View Post

Bob
the husky TE line is 50 state street legal from the factory with blinkers, lights, mirrors and horn.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #2667
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
So If I walk into a KTM dealer, buy an xcrw, I can get a plate from them? without having to go thru inspection?

I had to really beg them to let my DRZ pass, the fender was not sufficient. and the XCRW does not have blinkers, only the EXC's
Yes. That's what I did. They won't register it for you, because that would make them attest that the bike is road legal. I simply brought the C.O. and proof of insurance to DMV and got my plate. No inspection is required. Title is clear.

Easy.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #2668
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Yes. That's what I did. They won't register it for you, because that would make them attest that the bike is road legal. I simply brought the C.O. and proof of insurance to DMV and got my plate. No inspection is required. Title is clear.

Easy.
Yup!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #2669
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Road and single track will not be competently enjoyed with any 1 bike

I am cheap and currently poor but I would always get heebee geebies to take a

$7000 plus bike and thrash it.

Street bikes I buy new dirt bikes used

Usually sell them for almost as much as I bought them for