ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #2761
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
I found this video of last sunday's ride....
somehow the camera was picking up some funky vibes coming off Bomber...
glad you made it over the critical part dude...

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #2762
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Things lookin a little fuzzy there Bomber Heh?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #2763
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
What are ya buying?
Not sure what exactly yet, but Ill be sure to post up when I find it!
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #2764
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 392
Looks like one of lilolita's exhaust valves did something bad. The cam is semi-fused to the cap and unfortunately the heads and caps are machined as a unit so I may be in need of a complete new head assembly. This weekend I'll take the rest of the head off and check out the valves and seats and see if the piston got hit at some point. It appears the cam chain somehow skipped a few teeth.

So, anyone got a dr-z400 head lying around? (apparently the LTZ and Arctic cat version will work as well as long as it isn't FI)
cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #2765
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Suzuki-...475b16&vxp=mtr

or a whole new engine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DRZ40...9a979d&vxp=mtr

nearly new head 2011

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ40...660fe9&vxp=mtr

cleaned up and remanufactured

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ-400-E-S-...5975c1&vxp=mtr

or call Eddie.. he is a good guy and usually answers the phone himself.

http://www.sisnerosspeedworks.com/rh...es-and-springs

mrt10x screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 11:47 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #2766
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 392
As if I didn't search eBay before asking you guys...

cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #2767
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebot View Post

har har har

I have held my tongue so many times to replies like MRT's

I do know that he is an extremely helpful fellow, though!
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2768
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:

well given that you have just entered the digital age I figured you pulled out the Yellow Pages couldnt find anything on thumpertalk.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #2769
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Try Safari Cycle in Long Beach Cali

Offer them like 2/3 rds of there 1st asking price.

Are / you are going for a total tear down cracking the cases and clean up,

I would just replace the oil pump too
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #2770
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:

Clean that up and you will have a very nice paper weight.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #2771
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Clean that up and you can sell it to some shmuck on ebay.
fixed

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #2772
GSYETI
Roads?

Oddometer: 46
7/5 am ride

Thanks to mrt10x for leading the ride of the southern loop this morning. Nice meeting up with you guys and look forward to getting in a full day in the future. Even a short ride is better than no ride at all.

GSYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #2773
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
GSYeti/MrT: I rode to work in Cranston today and was tempted to stop by beach pond in the morning but I was already running late and I wasn't sure what time you guys were actually meeting.. another warm morning for a ride though eh?

Anyone want to do that sort of ride again this weekend? Pachaug or central CT near me? I want to get some riding in but I'll mostly be doing some wrenching this weekend..

Cheesebot: Interesting (well, it sucks too) that the cam shaft cap fused to the cam.. I've been trying to figure out how that would happen with what little I know of the failure. If it was just a cam chain problem I would expect some of the results you mentioned but not that fusing. . I'm just spitballing here but perhaps loss of oil pressure to the head started it all? Say the cam starts to bind when it runs out of oil, binding cam causes drag on the cam chain, maybe even getting jumpy or loose in the cam journals if it's melting away material (are those caps aluminum?), then skipping a tooth on a sprocket, then probably another soon after. Then valve issues, etc..

again I'm literally guessing there; just thinking with my fingers.. I assume the DRZ has an oil pressure light that would have lit up before the engine trouble happened in my scenario. Although my DRZ has less miles it's probably been more abused so I like to keep an eye open for problems starting so I can hopefully catch them before they get too far but it helps to know what to look for! Keep us posted on the diagnosis... And I wish Elsa a speedy recovery!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #2774
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post

Cheesebot: Interesting (well, it sucks too) that the cam shaft cap fused to the cam.. I've been trying to figure out how that would happen with what little I know of the failure. If it was just a cam chain problem I would expect some of the results you mentioned but not that fusing. . I'm just spitballing here but perhaps loss of oil pressure to the head started it all? Say the cam starts to bind when it runs out of oil, binding cam causes drag on the cam chain, maybe even getting jumpy or loose in the cam journals if it's melting away material (are those caps aluminum?), then skipping a tooth on a sprocket, then probably another soon after. Then valve issues, etc..

again I'm literally guessing there; just thinking with my fingers.. I assume the DRZ has an oil pressure light that would have lit up before the engine trouble happened in my scenario. Although my DRZ has less miles it's probably been more abused so I like to keep an eye open for problems starting so I can hopefully catch them before they get too far but it helps to know what to look for! Keep us posted on the diagnosis... And I wish Elsa a speedy recovery!
I agree with Al. The cam would not frack because of the cam chain but the opposite would. Culprit is oil starvation IMO.
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2775
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Cheese you are definitely going to need some gauze pads, some ball bearings, some 3 in 1 oil and about 10 quarts of anti freeze,,preferably Prestone.. no wait... Quaker State.... I mean if you folks cant recognize a Fetzer valve failure you definitely need a refresher course.

Wasnt too hot today.. we were done by 1030.. early morning lighting made seeing the rocks an issue. .and there was definitely some rain since the ride on Sunday. GSYeti tore it up on his KTM 950 Adventure.

Always up for a weekend ride.