ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #16
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 976
I can't do the weekend of the 23rd. My gs might not be running by then anyway.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #17
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,121
I will keep an eye on this thread..Sundays are always better for me..
Looks 50/50 so far for tough stuff....count my vote for the tougher the better..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,081
al- as you know my schedule for the next few weeks is pretty full....... of RIDING!

I am doing the TMT, PRD and HBR from Oct. 15-25. After that I have no plans except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I would be up for a big bike ride most any weekend from 10/30-31 onward.

mrt10x - I just got a '76 R60/6 - so if you want to do a vintage cruse sometime during the week I am around.........

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Definately up for an old school ride, once I get the R75 sorted out. It may need some final drive/rear brake work done before I trust it over the bridges.

I was looking at a map http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CCUQtgMwAw
and the Green Falls road, from Green Falls pond out to 138 is about the smallest dirt road I have tried so far.. .certainly nothing to a guy on a smaller bike. Biggest shortcoming I have, other than skill, is the dry clutch on the GSA. While I have the enduro gear, I cant slip the clutch at all without burning it out. So I am stuck keeping it in 1st and letting the low gearing do the work,, now this thing will crawl along at 3-4mph and up most anything in that gear,,but keeping my nerve, and balance is a different story
Old 10-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,401
Yea, it's up to you. Like I said earlier, I'm going to take my Katana and it's not good when it gets rough either. Sounds like there will be more than a couple people out of their comfort zones on the dirt roads and the pace there will slow to a crawl. (obscure Blazing Saddles reference just popped in my head)

So, you have to make up your mind on this one. We will do a lot of dirt roads, some may have some puddles or some rocky parts but it should be easily passable by a truck. It's an Adventure Ride, so you will get your bike dirty.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x

I was looking at a map http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CCUQtgMwAw
and the Green Falls road, from Green Falls pond out to 138 is about the smallest dirt road I have tried so far.. .certainly nothing to a guy on a smaller bike.
this is the enterance to the park - grandmothers taking the kids swimming go down this road to get to the lake. RVs - big fucking RVs - make it down this road to get to the camp site.

buy some TKCs and twist the fun grip fella. you will be surprised at what that bike can do. it is no enduro bike - but this ain't no enduro course either. if you think you can make it you will - if you think you can't make it you wont

when in doubt just give it the 'ol TWEKO

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #22
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Actually I came into the pond area on the R/V road, but then went out on a trail that clearly had only motorcycles on it, no car tracks at all. Not sure if that is displayed on the map. It poped me out on what I thought was 138, but may not have been, I turned around and rode it again back to the lake. Definately not a road. I will try anything once.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

yep - i know the road. that one is unmaintained w/ a few washouts and yes it puts you back out onto 138.

Al is a good guide and pretty respectable of the overall group limitations. I couldn't think of a better person to lead a big bike "trail" ride.

nice R75 - that thing is looking cheery - I love the toaster tanks

Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
Cobia235
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast
that's the sort of feedback I was hoping for...

There are some great old roads in my current Connecticut River Valley area (Essex CT to Middletown CT) that I am aware of.. Mostly paved but a lot of unpaved as well.. The unmaintained "off road" type roads are a little harder to find, but certainly worth the effort if that is your intention ....

I'll put together a mostly nice leisurely rural ride, about 60% paved, 40% maintained dirt/gravel. There may be a few moderate "unmaintained dirt road" sections but they will be fairly short, 1-2 miles at most, whilst also being wide open dual tracks (any 4wd vehicle could pass) and well worth the effort.. If needed *go arounds* will be made available but I am new to dirt riding and rode an f650gs the past two years.. I am not exactly pushing any boundaries..

I'm thinking Oct 23rd or Oct24th for the date..

Is a saturday or a sunday better for interested parties? Is anyone actually interested?
This would probably include a cross CT ferry ride and lunch at a local pub, 60-100 miles of riding on the route, river views, crossing a swing bridge built in 1916, and enough old school new england charm to make you vomit scones.

ie: "the name of Haddam, which was given to the town about 1668 was presumably taken from the name Great Haddam in England. There were no settlements on the east side of the river until around 1670. There was but one ecclesiastical society before 1700, when the inhabitants formed the second. But it was not until 1754 that the community was formally and agreeably divided into two towns, the colony on the west bank keeping the name of Haddam and the one on the east taking the name of East Haddam."

--------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to propose a Trans-Mass-Trail / Puppy Dog ride the following weekend or the weekend following that. if anyone is interested of course.. last year we had around 10-12 riders turn out.. The following weekend is the weekend BEFORE Halloween and the last free weekend of the riding year for most of you family type suckers.. . Ideally we could make it a two day ride with a camp in Vermont somewhere Saturday night..

for a teaser here is a snippet of last years group ride on the Trans Mass tail although we had time to spare and ventured into VT to keep riding,.... this is in Vermont just over the MA/VT border..
&ampampnbsp
trans mass trail from al barkley on Vimeo.

the entire Trans Mass / Puppy Dog route is not only big bike friendly, it's biggish bike mandatory.,. there are several sections of minor highway where you jump up to 55mph or more for an extended period of time.. A drz400 could keep up but it wouldn't be comfortable... The 650CC+ bike would certainly be the weapon of choice on the Trans Mass / Puppy Dog (Trans VT) trails..
Thanks Al
60 / 40 sounds just perfect! Sunday the 24th would be better for me. Also would like to try the TMT that video looks great too. I don't have paniers on the XR so probably couldn't do an overnight. Also is there a place to park a truck and trailer near the start it would take me 2-1/2 + hours to get to winstead from norwich but I could trailer the bike there a lot quicker. My trailer is 3 place so if someone else wanted to go for just the day from the southeastern ct/ri area we could load your bike on my trailer and head out. either the 30th or 31st. works. Thanks Gene
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Do we have two different rides starting to take shape here?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,285
Oct 23 or 24 works for me (and I'm assuming cheesebot but I should probably ask him). I will even get up early to meet down in Arcadia at some ungodly hour of the morning as I know you guys like to ride early. The easy and/or moderate route would be ok with me. I really need another set of wheels for the Dizz so I can get real tires.

We're doing part of the TMT this weekend, camping up on the MA/VT border and then into Vermont wilderness. I'm really looking forward to a dirt road that isn't a rocky death trap like Wrentham was. It was only fun because I'm stupid.

mrt10x: congrats on the /5; a toaster no less. Another one in little Rhody!
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #27
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
October 16th-17th is the Pachaug Camp-n-Ride. That will be for the hardcore off road riding mainly. I'll be there for the camping but I probably won't be riding the loop if anyone wants to explore some dirt roads and what not in that area Saturday...

Oct 23-24th: it sound like akarob and afew others want to do a big bike pachaug/Arcadia ride that weekend.

Oct 30-31st I could lead a ride around my central ct area that weekend, probablysaturday since Sunday is Halloween. However I was thinking of riding down to DC for that Jon Stewart rally. Although I need to be confident I have a fuse issue on my bike completely fixed before I do a far from home ride like that. So most likely I will be local that weekend...

November 7th - trans mass trail ride? That's a Sunday. Meet up in winsted and ride north until mid afternoon and see how far we get.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #28
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
October 16th-17th is the Pachaug Camp-n-Ride. That will be for the hardcore off road riding mainly. I'll be there for the camping but I probably won't be riding the loop if anyone wants to explore some dirt roads and what not in that area Saturday...

Oct 23-24th: it sound like akarob and afew others want to do a big bike pachaug/Arcadia ride that weekend.

Oct 30-31st I could lead a ride around my central ct area that weekend, probablysaturday since Sunday is Halloween. However I was thinking of riding down to DC for that Jon Stewart rally. Although I need to be confident I have a fuse issue on my bike completely fixed before I do a far from home ride like that. So most likely I will be local that weekend...

November 7th - trans mass trail ride? That's a Sunday. Meet up in winsted and ride north until mid afternoon and see how far we get.
I would ride the big bike ride if it is on the 24th. The Mrs. and I are going motorcycle camping near the northwestern MA-VT line this weekend and working next weekend and on the 23rd.

I don't have a work schedule beyond 10/28 yet, but I am interested in the rides mentioned if I am here.

This thread has grown to three pages in less than three days, good move mrt10x!

-Terry
- Robert Frost

tmlee screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 09:36 PM
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
so should we plan for a Sunday, October 24th DS ride in the greater Pachaug/Arcadia (RI/CT border, a little towards the south) state forests area? 6-8 hours would be ok if in my opinion if you are including a 1-2 hours lunch stop in there.. 6-8 hours might be a little much for straight riding, especially if people are coming in from over an hour away..

tmlee.. you should ride up to the top of Mt Greylock on your camping trip.. Nice ride up there, tallest mountain in MA, and great views.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #30
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
tmlee.. you should ride up to the top of Mt Greylock on your camping trip.. Nice ride up there, tallest mountain in MA, and great views.
Planning on it - thanks!
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote