ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #3226
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtledub View Post
Yep! Only pic I have so far. Sorry.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #3227
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
Tom/BikeNstitches. How did you fair on the ride today?? I know we lost you pretty early on but I was hoping you went back and maybe did some of the "adventure ride" or something. I missed seeing that montesa in action aside from following your smoke for that first bit..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #3228
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
Finally someone on the Big Bike thread going up in size instead of down. Congrats! Can't wait to see it on a ride.

Quote:
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #3229
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,548
sorry i wasn't able to join you guys for the somers run but the class 4+ roads in VT beckoned me. looks like y'all had a great time (as usual).

i also got to finally see the famed tunnel road. after an 1/8 of a mile of a narrow rocky downhill filled with baby heads and car batteries - and the left side a drop-off down the hill (don't fall to the left) - you come to this. going down was a beast on the SE - i can't imagine what this would be like going UP. as usual the camera takes away the true angle but the bike is damn near vertical here - had the front wheel not rolled i would have been over the handlebars.

i think this will be part of the berkshire triple - i'm game to do it again. if there was a big bike 'drop-o-rama' opportunity this is definitely it!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #3230
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
sorry i wasn't able to join you guys for the somers run but the class 4+ roads in VT beckoned me. looks like y'all had a great time (as usual).

i also got to finally see the famed tunnel road. after an 1/8 of a mile of a narrow rocky downhill filled with baby heads and car batteries - and the left side a drop-off down the hill (don't fall to the left) - you come to this. going down was a beast on the SE - i can't imagine what this would be like going UP. as usual the camera takes away the true angle but the bike is damn near vertical here - had the front wheel not rolled i would have been over the handlebars.

i think this will be part of the berkshire triple - i'm game to do it again. if there was a big bike 'drop-o-rama' opportunity this is definitely it!
Nice photo loph. I know that drop well.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #3231
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Finally someone on the Big Bike thread going up in size instead of down. Congrats! Can't wait to commandeer it on a ride.

Fixt.
bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #3232
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Tom/BikeNstitches. How did you fair on the ride today?? I know we lost you pretty early on but I was hoping you went back and maybe did some of the "adventure ride" or something. I missed seeing that montesa in action aside from following your smoke for that first bit..
After a blazing start and then missing the first left turn-off, I managed to continue moving forward at more of a trials speed, and at about half the pace of the pack. As you might imagine, the only effective suspension the Montesa has are my own legs and arms. And since the lubricant in my arms and legs are about 54 years old, they became quite rubbery fairly early on. Short story shorter, at some point my riding began to get sloppy, and the bike began not going where my eyes and mind told it to go. So I bailed fairly early on, making my way back to base camp, hanging with Happy Seal and a Long Islander with a broken clutch cable. I guess a lot of improvements have come since the demise of twin-shock dirt bikes, but I don't remember getting this beat up when I used to run my 1972 DT250 in the Pine Barrens. Course, that was in the 80's. I think a modern bike might be in store....
Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #3233
Turtledub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
Finally someone on the Big Bike thread going up in size instead of down. Congrats! Can't wait to commandeer it on a ride.
You think that's what she means ? She never asked to ride my TW .
Turtledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #3234
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,580
Nice new bike TD!
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #3235
Bob Q
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thanks to the guys that helped me with my flat tire, I figured I was all done for the day, changing a tube by your self SUCKS!

Thanks Bob
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #3236
p_funk
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 416
I was thinking we could rent ourselves out as an ADV trailside pit crew... We'll just have to get someone for those pesky axles. Matt, those electrical gremlins come back or do you think the BERG was just getting back at you for throwing it everywhere?
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N, 2014 FZ-09
p_funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #3237
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
You think that's what she means ? She never asked to ride my TW .
Nah, she doesn't want that. i already tried one of those and it didn't work out with us...

cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #3238
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
Loph.. Glad to see you're riding the rough stuff again! Although I feel bad for that poor super enduro....

BobQ.. the tube was easy.. the front axle was stubborn as hell though..

BikenStitches: Sounds like you had your fun.. The oldest bike there by around 20 years probably.. When we were just leaving the parking lot with the big group of us someone asked me if we were doing the turkey run or the adv ride and I told him the turkey run.. Then you headed out first and the guy said, "The Montesa is leading!?!"; half question and half "wtf!?".... I just gave a thumbs up and headed out following your smoke.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #3239
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
.... you headed out first and the guy said, "The Montesa is leading!?!"; half question and half "wtf!?".... I just gave a thumbs up and headed out following your smoke.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #3240
rnewton612
newmanr12

Oddometer: 36
hey guys, im new to this fourm and and live in stonington ct ... i am looking for some guys to get with and ride.. i was a expert MX rider and now i just want to have fun.. i have a 2005 Wr250f plated ... can you guys point me in the right direction or is this thread a good one for me ? thanks