ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #3856
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,026
Once you know about..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #3857
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Why orange after Jan 1st? Is there any hunting then?
Yes, hunting goes on year round, in RI Varmint Season is always open, Waterfowl, Small game open till spring, Deer season till January 31st for archery.
Deer season is the most dangerous one because it brings out all the Idiots, first day of Shotgun is like D-Day, most experienced hunters stay out of the woods!
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3858
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Yes, in some cases it can come in handy as a good muzzleloader will send a 50 cal slug quite a distance
Muzzleloader in competent hands is a dangerous weapon and can be purchased in any WallMart over the counter without 7 day waiting period
Sorry to go political, but screw 7 day waiting periods. This is the USA and I'm an American.

Sorry, Back to fun
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #3859
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Sorry to go political, but screw 7 day waiting periods. This is the USA and I'm an American.

Sorry, Back to fun
Political? Not at all, I just think that muzleloader is a weapon but it's classified as a pellet gun when it comes to regulations so any nut job can walk in to WallyWorld, pick up the muzleloading kit and go waste someone, but I have to wait 7 days and go through background check to pick up any old Mosin rifle...
Old 11-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #3860
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Political? Not at all, I just think that muzleloader is a weapon but it's classified as a pellet gun when it comes to regulations so any nut job can walk in to WallyWorld, pick up the muzleloading kit and go waste someone, but I have to wait 7 days and go through background check to pick up any old Mosin rifle...
I'd love to see the statistics on the number of crimes committed using a black powder rifle.....

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
Ducati 900ss | KLX 400 | RD 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #3861
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Checked out a local historic area ..
Hanton City is an abandoned area next to the Fidelity Complex in Smithfield RI.

I found two decent dirt roads and a pipeline section.
Nothing challenging and not too long either....
There is a really wet section on the pipeline if you want to get muddy...
I guessing p_funk would like it...

I did run into some hunters so it would be best to check it out after hunting season..

Here is the wiki page for additional info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanton_City,_Rhode_Island

And if you search youtube, there are additional videos...
It is include in the Creepy Places of New England show as "The Lost City"

That's a great place to ride. It's small, but there's some tight single track off of it as well as the main road and gas line. We go there quite a bit as it's only about 15 minutes from me. Here's a vid from the very start of the year at the same place:

Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #3862
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadraCorse View Post
I'd love to see the statistics on the number of crimes committed using a black powder rifle.....

I got 2 words for you: Wild West
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #3863
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
I have two words for both of you JO MAMA!! take your political discussions down to the basement please.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #3864
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
That's a great place to ride. It's small, but there's some tight single track off of it as well as the main road and gas line. We go there quite a bit as it's only about 15 minutes from me. Here's a vid from the very start of the year at the same place:
I still want to try to connect Aldrich Trail... looks like a decent section..
Where is the single track... North of Hanton City Road...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #3865
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I have two words for both of you JO MAMA!! take your political discussions down to the basement please.

Like I said, this is not political, just a friendly warning that any idiot who shops Wall Mart can be out there in the woods armed with a 50cal. looking for things to shoot...
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #3866
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I have orange vests and hats for me and my sons

It is ridiculous to think that hunters will obey rules and laws consistently.

Orange vests at Walmart are like $4

I have been shot in the elbow with a 22, I have many worse injuries

A modern "black powder" is a throughly modern weapon with scopes and breech loading etc.
However it is reported that deers prefer to be shot with black powder and not modern weapons
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #3867
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,145
I agree with Mr T, we should keep it riding related. Orange vest warning noted.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #3868
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

The singletrack is north of Hanton City Road, south puts you in peoples back yards....you know...so I hear....

There are 2 trails that I know of. The one with the start in yellow is a lot of fun, and I believe heads up and connects to rocky hill road. I've only ridden that one once. The start is right where there's a little parking clearing. Shown @ 0:22 on the video I posted, off to the left.

The one with the start in green loops around and connects with itself. I've done it several times and it's a bit of a slog on a DRZ, but should be good fun on your WR. There is one challenging downhill into a decent uphill. Good fun. If you go in the entrance closest to Reservoir it's easy to follow around. I recall getting a bit mixed up when I went in near Decolis Farm Road as there are some offshoots of the trail that don't really go anywhere.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #3869
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
There are 2 trails that I know of. The one with the start in yellow is a lot of fun, and I believe heads up and connects to rocky hill road. I've only ridden that one once. The start is right where there's a little parking clearing. Shown @ 0:22 on the video I posted, off to the left.

The one with the start in green loops around and connects with itself. I've done it several times and it's a bit of a slog on a DRZ, but should be good fun on your WR. There is one challenging downhill into a decent uphill. Good fun. If you go in the entrance closest to Reservoir it's easy to follow around. I recall getting a bit mixed up when I went in near Decolis Farm Road as there are some offshoots of the trail that don't really go anywhere.
0:22 looks like the start of Aldrich Trail on my map... so it seems like you could use it to go up to rocky hill road and then come back via my so called Hunter's Road where you enter by the Water Tank to make a decent loop...
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #3870
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
The Three Four Five Six Ride

Organized by alcontrast, ostensibly to clean up the blowdown in the central CT river valley area, this turned into a really pleasant Sunday ride. We cleared a few trees, and a few ledges.

The day started cold -- very cold. I kept waiting for the frost to clear off my car before heading out but it didn't. We met at al's; here's the 3, 6, and 4 of CT DUAL-SPORT, me and alcontrast respectively. mrt10x was over by his truck making sweet, sweet love to the husaberg (5).

We crossed the river to the west by the Opera House and headed south. After a few twists and turns -- Matt overshot one I've overshot at least twice, but no harm -- we soon found ourselves on the narrow, rocky way:

We zigged and zagged down Ruth Hill Road, a really nice way to get the blood flowing. I don't think the sun had gotten up above 40 yet and the blast across the bridge turned us a bit blue. CT DUAL-SPORT had the freezing goddam ride from Killingworth and had probably just started to thaw when we moved out. Ruth warmed us right up. After a few turnings, we came to a spot the "camp'n'ride at Devil's Hopyard" folks might recognize. Here's mrt10x nailing the sandy, loose hillclimb, CT DUAL-SPORT got the video:

We messed around there for a bit. There was a bunch of good riding getting there that I didn't snap shots of, including some tight single track, old woods roads and a bit of tarmac. I'm going to stick to narrating the few photos I have. Rest assured, al and CT led us to some really nice spots.

Here we are in a trench above a local state by-way (to stay general). We paused here and got out the axe. You haven't had a woods ride until you've seen a man jump a DRZ with an axe strapped to his back.

Back into the woods on our way to a certain utility ROW, a brief halt for some minor tweaks: L to R: CT DUAL-SPORT, mrt10x and al; 3,5,4.

Powerline, baby. This was some sweet stuff. I know I dumped it at the top of the big gnarly climb, having cleared all the tough stuff. Later on, I looped it going the other way. The first one was harder on my body, but neither fazed the KLR -- a little tweak to the handle bars on the second (loosened the bolts and she slid right back); a slightly displaced handguard on the first. In both cases, I got past the tough stuff then slid out on the followthrough. al can tell you what the underside of a KLR looks like in the 12 o'clock position. Anyhoo, the view from the top:

That's 4, 3, 5, 6 back-to-front for those of you scoring at home. The power towers on the right are made of wood, I was surprised to see. Anyone who knows why, feel free to chime in.

This was the first powerline pause, IIRC. We watched four kids in a cherokee come up the way we did -- high-slung and slowly. After the second go-round on the other end of the powerline trail, CT DUAL-SPORT took us on a short, steep bushwhack. A pretty sweet trail with a lot of blowdown, some of which we cleared and some of which we didn't. This shot shows a steep-ish section, with CT trudging up and mrt looking down:

That's all I got. Apologies for the crappy iPhone shots, but many thanks to al and CT for finding good routes and to mrt10x for coming along. Anyone who was out on Sunday knows it was a perfect day for a ride in our part of the world. alcontrast and CT D got some vid -- I'm hoping to see it posted when they have an hour or eight to spare in editing the deal. Thanks, guys.
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."

Gooch screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 06:27 PM Reason: getcher caps right
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote