ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #3871
CT DUAL-SPORT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Laugh

Nice recap gooch... I had a great time with you guys! I will post video asap.
CT DUAL-SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #3872
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,507
same from me! I think Gooch should be a travel writer; you always have a great recap after a ride.. I started a little video editing last night but I didn't get far.. I just threw a lasagna in the oven and have some free time now so perhaps I'll get something up tonight..

in the meantime I have these:

A dead fall we didn't really need to clear since a good rider could go over it and the rest of us could have found a way around it.. It's a fun fast section of trail though so we decided to get rid of it in order to keep that section fun and fast...
We (meaning "they") cut through 2/3 of the petrified log before it was decided that matt's saw wasn't getting the job done on this ancient piece of oak and instead we cut down a sapling and rotated the tree out of the way of the trail.

Gooch and the KLR. As he stated he got past the rough part and lost it on the follow up! The next photo shows his position from down below..

Gooch is on the right there but after all the ledge the trail turns left and he must have slid out on the outside of the turn. It was a cool surface to ride on though, I'm not at the bottom of it when I took the photo. And as always it looks less intense in the photos/videos...

The angle of the power lines indicate the incline from the top better than anything else..

It was a fun ride. We found at least two new trails (to me at least) and we cleared some downed trees as intended. There's still a lot of trail that hasn't been checked though....

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #3873
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Be careful on Rocky hill road, there is a douche living in the house across from the chain link fence at the south end of the street, he heard me coming on the bike and walked out in to the road in front of me trying to get me to hit him, typical jack-off with a tribal tattoo, I stopped to ask what his problem was and he kept telling me how he is gonna pound my head in for going too fast on his street, then threatened to call the cops... I told him that I'll be glad to wait for the cops if he needs them to wipe his tears... I get the feeling he might not like the bikes or something, form now on extra careful around that first turn, never know if he is gonna throw nails or whatever...
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #3874
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,136
Typical retard. Threatens you with battery then to call the cops? Go right ahead. He literally just committed a crime.

I have my own person fucking psycho living near me. In his defense, he does live up the road about 6 - 10 houses from a trail that a lot of dirtbikes and quads go in. This guy is pissed because kids fairly regularly rip past his house WFO.

Anyway, I'm coming out of this trail one day, and turn left up towards his house. Again, it's a bit up the road. As I literally PUTT up the road and come upon his house, slow as any minivan. He proceeds to stand up, grab some small stones, and throw them as hard as he can directly at me, as hard as he can. I couldn't believe it and just gave my look of WTF. I considered stopping, next time I may call the cops on him. As far as the cops are concerned for me, I wouldn't admit to anything less than legal.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #3875
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I wouldn't admit to anything less than legal.
A wise policy.

Nice photos, al. Looking forward to the vids.
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #3876
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Plenty of psychos around, one asshole on a bike will ruin it for many people, still some are just nut jobs that will find any excuse to mess with you.

This past summer I loaned my LC4 to a friend, he was commuting to work on it in CT. One day I get a call from Smithfield PD:
"Do you know So and So?"
"yes"
"Does he have your permission to use the bike?"
"Yes, he takes it to work in CT"
"I guess he got lost, never mind..."

Later my friend told me how he took some dirt road on the way home, just exploring, no signs, rolling down the road when some woman comes screaming from the house, so he pulls over thinking there is an emergency, she comes up, yanks the key from the bike and runs away, disappears in the house. Later when the cops came she came out insisting that it's a private road and he should be arrested for trespassing, cops were less than thrilled and told him to go home (after verifying with me that bike was not stolen) while they told the old hag not to do this again... Apparently there is a private road with bunch of crazies living on it, tempted to go back and tear up some lawns!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #3877
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

On a positive note, TWICE now in few month I got stranded and got a ride (and tow) home form a perfect stranger.

First time my NSR ate a crank on I-95 in Warwick and some guy pulled over with a truck and gave me and the bike a ride home, he was not even going in the same direction, brought me back to Pawtucket while he was headed to Newport. This past Sunday guy named George brought me home after I got a flat in Freetown, he was going home to Johnston and gave me and Katoom a lift home, refused to take any money. While there are still people out there who are willing to help others there is still hope...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #3878
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
Plenty of psychos around, Apparently there is a private road with bunch of crazies living on it
I have gone to the town highway dept and asked about the town "road inventory". If the road is on that inventory, (at least in CT) it receives money from the state and has to be open to registered motor vehicles. NO gates or chains, etc. Might be worth a look.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #3879
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

There was no gate or chain, just some crazy woman who yanked the key from the bike and her crazy neighbors who showed up later, only stopped cause she flagged him down, he was pretty happy when cops showed up and he was finally able to leave. My buddy is not easily scared, he spent couple years in Iraq, but he certainly does not want to go back there since they might just open fire next time, he thinks they are either nuts or cooking meth or both...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #3880
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,800
It might be wort asking. A lot of these "private" roads are really open to traffic, but because no one ever uses them and they start to grow in a little, the locals defend them like they own them. If it goes on long enough, unchallenged, it ends up being believed. Do you know if the road has a name? What town? It sometimes can be found with Google. I have checked out several in the Berkshires for my clubs' ADV Ride and verified that they were in fact open.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3881
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
check and see if the town/city plows them. if they do, you are paying for it with your taxes, and its public.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3882
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Weather is looking good for the weekend.. plan on being out at Pachaug on the Husaberg Friday,,and maybe over the weekend as well. Chance of rain is diminishing every day.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #3883
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

I should have Terrorflex mounted today, ready for adventure!!

Friday forecast 58F
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #3884
Berjon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
It might be wort asking. A lot of these "private" roads are really open to traffic, but because no one ever uses them and they start to grow in a little, the locals defend them like they own them. If it goes on long enough, unchallenged, it ends up being believed. Do you know if the road has a name? What town? It sometimes can be found with Google. I have checked out several in the Berkshires for my clubs' ADV Ride and verified that they were in fact open.
In Cava, almost every year at Town Meeting, the DPW asks us to accept private roads as "public ways". Other than the town now having to maintain and repair the roads, I don't know what the significance of this is or if there is some official list of public ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg View Post
check and see if the town/city plows them. if they do, you are paying for it with your taxes, and its public.
Also in Cava, the town plows private ways that school buses travel on, and one road that is private (dirt, no houses, has name and street sign) so they can loop around to another road.

I have heard of something called a "County Layout" which has some significance on a roads status but I don't know anything more.
Berjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #3885
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I should have Terrorflex mounted today, ready for adventure!!

Friday forecast 58F
I may use that as my next rear tire on my 990.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote