ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #4276
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
I've ridden with "Twisted Shawn" a few times and he certainly can ride his KLR on the road (who does stoppies on a KLR???) and on the dirt but I would guess his dual sport ride would be airhead friendly. However I'm just guessing and he may have a more trail oriented ride planned since I think he upgraded from his KLR late last year... Just so you know...

I'm not sure if I'll haul out my DRZ or ride out on the F650. I'll figure that out later in the week.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #4277
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Glad to hear that MrT! If you are planning to go out for a ride this weekend I''ll probably head over to Twisted Throttle for a while on Saturday....

Maybe I'll see you there. VROOOM
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #4278
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
I've ridden with "Twisted Shawn" a few times and he certainly can ride his KLR on the road (who does stoppies on a KLR???) and on the dirt but I would guess his dual sport ride would be airhead friendly. However I'm just guessing and he may have a more trail oriented ride planned since I think he upgraded from his KLR late last year... Just so you know...

I'm not sure if I'll haul out my DRZ or ride out on the F650. I'll figure that out later in the week.
I think the plan is to evaluate the crowd that shows up for the ride an depending on the size of the group it could possibly be broken up into two groups.
  1. Gentlemanly stroll down some dirt roads
  2. Intermediate to advanced
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #4279
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
it was a good ride, best part of it was New London Turnpike

I didn't film on the way home or you would see how slow I am comparing to my new best fren on the orange KTM, can't recall his name, he was the guy doing monster wheelies.

This is me being slow on my own

http://contour.com/videos/watch/file0197--18

MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #4280
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Cool video! Where is that road? I live in eastern CT (Lebanon) and can't really find anywhere to ride that isn't posted. Just put some Dunlop 606's on my XR650L and am trying to find someplace to go.
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #4281
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
I think that road is off or near Rt101 in RI..Are you looking for tough single track or dualsport dirt roads..Pachaug is just around the corner from you..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #4282
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
I think that road is off or near Rt101 in RI..Are you looking for tough single track or dualsport dirt roads..Pachaug is just around the corner from you..

Both actually; I'd like to have a place to just bomb around and spend some time w/out beating myself up too bad. And, if there is a highly "technical" trail that would be good to build my skills on.
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #4283
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket View Post
Where is that road?
New London Turnpike, passes just behind Twisted Throttle, off road sections stretch all the way to EXIT 7 on I 95, some sections of it are "off limits" but only if you get caught. The part I filmed is legal and less than a mile from TT
Old 04-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #4284
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

this is somewhere in Mass, near Freetown, Maat knows how to get there, I just follow him

Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #4285
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,332
Looks fun, you could spend all day back there.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #4286
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

I could spend all day... but the reality sets in and I remember there are chores at home. We left early on Sunday because I had some work to catch up on.

This time we came up on 2 Jeeps, 2 quads and 2 equestrians, got a feeling that when it gets warm it will be a bit crowded and that will make it much more dangerous: too many blind crests and crossings
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #4287
maat
meh.

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
This time we came up on 2 Jeeps, 2 quads and 2 equestrians, got a feeling that when it gets warm it will be a bit crowded and that will make it much more dangerous: too many blind crests and crossings
The two main drags through there will have a few more quads in the warm weather and I have never seen more than 2 or 3 Jeeps.

For some reason I have never seen any motorcycles out there; maybe because the trails through Freetown are so close.
maat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #4288
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
Summer Riding Plans...

Recommend some dual sport rides for me!

I was recently putting a few summer riding events into the calendar on my phone and I was wondering what I was missing that I should consider adding.. I only have a few I'm definitely planning to do so far such as next weekends Pachaug "Dual Spork" Camp-n-Ride, The Berkshire Big Adventure weekend, Canuman's Rednek Rendevous, The Roaming Rally, and there are others such as Cro-Mag, Twisted Throttle open house, additional Pachaug camp-n-rides etc that are extremely likely..

I've talked with some of the people that watch this thread about things like the Pine Barrens 300, the SkiBum Soiree, etc and was wondering what you all had planned? What I am forgetting? And what do I not yet know about that I should consider??

I suppose most of what I am curious about would include a night or more of camping as well or at least be that sort of event.. I don't need to do much advance planning for a Sunday day ride in the southern new england area.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #4289
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Well there is my Adirondack mostly VSTROM adventure <<< all welcome

8-2 see link below

so far over 30 attendees reserved
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #4290
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,394
Quote:
Recommend some dual sport rides for me!

I was recently putting a few summer riding events into the calendar on my phone and I was wondering what I was missing that I should consider adding.. I only have a few I'm definitely planning to do so far such as next weekends Pachaug "Dual Spork" Camp-n-Ride, The Berkshire Big Adventure weekend, Canuman's Rednek Rendevous, The Roaming Rally, and there are others such as Cro-Mag, Twisted Throttle open house, additional Pachaug camp-n-rides etc that are extremely likely..

I've talked with some of the people that watch this thread about things like the Pine Barrens 300, the SkiBum Soiree, etc and was wondering what you all had planned? What I am forgetting? And what do I not yet know about that I should consider??

I suppose most of what I am curious about would include a night or more of camping as well or at least be that sort of event.. I don't need to do much advance planning for a Sunday day ride in the southern new england area.

I hope some of the DARC rides get posted up, I rode DARC VI last fall and had a blast. Good route and people.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote