ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #4291
MalayznSenzashn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
lil' help

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the off road game having bought RhodeHazard's KLR last fall.

I is now sick of doing donuts and figure 8's in my back yard and would like to find some real life dirt. When I bought the KLR, RhodeHazard that youse guys were the people to talk to, so here I am.

I'd love to hop in on any rides with you guys, or if you could point me towards any trails appropriate for a newb on a not so svelte bike, I would greatly appreciate it.

...thanks ahead of time...
MalayznSenzashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #4292
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
if you bought the bike set up the way Ernie (Rhode Hazard) had it you can EASILY haul enough gear to camp for a night or more.. If that's something you'd be into or even if it's not there's going to be a group camp-out this weekend with at least one group ride going on Saturday that sounds like something you'd be into..

check out this thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871944

essentially 20-30 people will be camping between friday and sunday and there's at least that one organized ride planned for Saturday with GPS tracks already supplied in that first post of the thread. If that group ride ends up being to tame for you (not likely) there is plenty of other totally legal but more trail oriented riding in the area that we could show you..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #4293
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,586
He can come by, but I wouldn't recommend a new rider on a big bike follow the route unless you have other people you can count on to help you pick the bike back up. The worst thing would be to try to go it alone. It's a long route with challenging parts fairly often.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #4294
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Rob is right.. I may have focused too much on your claims of doing figure 8's in your backyard (I don't think I could do figure 8's in my yard) and assumed you had some off road experience but if you are new to off-road riding it could indeed be quite challenging at times..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #4295
MalayznSenzashn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
He can come by, but I wouldn't recommend a new rider on a big bike follow the route unless you have other people you can count on to help you pick the bike back up. The worst thing would be to try to go it alone. It's a long route with challenging parts fairly often.
Thanks for the invite, but on your advice I should probably take a pass. So far I've been able to pick my bike up easily on such varied surfaces such as my driveway, the gas station and my back yard. Although I know piking a bike up gets pretty challenging on trail...for the 18th time. That and my assistant bike lifter has some family things to take care of Saturday and the boss-lady has me tied up with chores all day.

My bud and I went to Uxbridge late last fall without knowing really what we were in for and were less than successful at maintaining constant motion. There were, however, some really hilarious slow motion fall and I discovered I bounce of trees not well. I'd hate to repeat that for a whole day, much less the couple hours we were out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Rob is right.. I may have focused too much on your claims of doing figure 8's in your backyard (I don't think I could do figure 8's in my yard) and assumed you had some off road experience but if you are new to off-road riding it could indeed be quite challenging at times..
Alcontrast, to be completely honest my only dirt experience has been mountain biking of various sorts. So if I just scale up the body language for increased weight and horsepower of bike...that's basically it, right?

As for the figure 8's, they seemed to make my KLR quite tired. It would take a nap every couple of feet. Weird.

Any suggestions for a milder place to go this Sunday? I wanted to go to explore Freetown but then found out that it doesn't open till next week.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #4296
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalayznSenzashn View Post

I am new to the off road game having bought RhodeHazard's KLR last fall.

Have you checked out rhodehazard's videos of the KLR at Pachaug.......to see what you'd be getting yourself into.......

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #4297
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Recommend some dual sport rides for me!

I was recently putting a few summer riding events into the calendar on my phone and I was wondering what I was missing And what do I not yet know about that I should consider??

I suppose most of what I am curious about would include a night or more of camping as well or at least be that sort of event..

Durty Dabbers Dualsport and Adventure Ride. June 1 & 2

I'm going again this year.

here's 2011's thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=durty

and this one was good too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=durty

I imagine they are having it again. Beautiful spot to camp.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 03:09 PM
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #4298
MalayznSenzashn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Have you checked out rhodehazard's videos of the KLR at Pachaug.......to see what you'd be getting yourself into.......

That kind a makes me wann duck out and join up with the crew. Maybe the missus won't notice my absence from household chores...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #4299
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Thanks Rusty. That Lawton ride sounds like a good time. Camping available and lots of hero sections. I may have to add that to my schedule but I searched around and don't see a 2013 ride scheduled as of yet.
The Dabbers ride is simply too close to when I take off for a week and a half on the bike with AkaRob and others (for the Rednek Rendevous in VT, Roaming Rally in Can and hopefully exploring some snowmobile trails in the middle) and I wouldn't want to risk some last minute bike damage so I'll probably spend that weekend checking over the bike and playing it safe.

Malayzn.. I like your enthusiasm! I'll still be down there at Pachaug Sunday morning with my F650gs.. As far as I know the only big bike ride plans are for Saturday.. If you want to come down and explore a bit with the KLR on Sunday I'd be happy to show you around a little at a pace your comfortable with.. I will probably have to head home by 2-3pm though..

Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #4300
MalayznSenzashn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Rusty. That Lawton ride sounds like a good time. Camping available and lots of hero sections. I may have to add that to my schedule but I searched around and don't see a 2013 ride scheduled as of yet.
The Dabbers ride is simply too close to when I take off for a week and a half on the bike with AkaRob and others (for the Rednek Rendevous in VT, Roaming Rally in Can and hopefully exploring some snowmobile trails in the middle) and I wouldn't want to risk some last minute bike damage so I'll probably spend that weekend checking over the bike and playing it safe.

Malayzn.. I like your enthusiasm! I'll still be down there at Pachaug Sunday morning with my F650gs.. As far as I know the only big bike ride plans are for Saturday.. If you want to come down and explore a bit with the KLR on Sunday I'd be happy to show you around a little at a pace your comfortable with.. I will probably have to head home by 2-3pm though..
Yah, if you don't mind, and that would be awesome. I'll om you my contact info... Thanks much
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #4301
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
That Lawton ride sounds like a good time. Camping available and lots of hero sections. I may have to add that to my schedule but I searched around and don't see a 2013 ride scheduled as of yet.
I didn't see it either. It has always been in May. I emailed the club and got a reply that it's Sept, 8th this year. I was afraid they bailed on it.

It really is one of the nicest spots I have ever camped in at an event and it was free.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #4302
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
MalayznSenzashn, a bunch of us big bike/slow pokes will be around Sunday, so come on down! I've also got a couple of easy dirt road and backroad tarmac routes that I'd be happy to share. PM me your email.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #4303
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalayznSenzashn View Post
That kind a makes me wann duck out and join up with the crew. Maybe the missus won't notice my absence from household chores...
Sorry I missed you! How's the old girl treating you?
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4304
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post
Sorry I missed you! How's the old girl treating you?
I think she's providing a good time!
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #4305
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,586
Lolita, you were surprised to hear I had PINK. It's decent fabric, it just needs some Scotch Guard to keep it from getting dirty. I was cutting some black panels and thought of you.

...and I just wanted to say, this was a great shot you got of the group at the end of Blitzkrieg Trail.

akarob is online now   Reply With Quote