ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #4321
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Thanks to everyone for the Ride today..
I hope everyone had a good time...

Lynn...thanks for riding on... even with wet feet!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #4322
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,255
FANTASTIC ride today...jgormley, thank you for putting it together. I had almost too much fun!

all the pics (unedited)

Meet-up at the DD on Routes 6/102 (this IS Rhode Island!)

tmlee on VStrom, my DR350SE, Rhode trip on TW200, Mrs Rhode trip on TW200, jgormley on WR250R, Turtledub on TW200 ... to think my 350 would have been the biggest bike if tmlee hadn't shown up!

Forsythia are still in bloom...what a rotten spring!

lots of animal sightings on this ride...sheep, goats, llama!, horses, and roosters (heard)

Barden Reservoir...some of these folks ride "the loop" on DRZs, but none are pink

after the reservoir, we turned onto King Road...as I was riding sweep, I noticed a headlight behind me....hmm, wtf? I slowed, then stopped. Guy pulls up next me, and I see an ADV sticker. Um, hello? Guy yells over, "Is that you [insert my real name here]?" Wha? It's a history prof from school on his Buell! He joined us for part of the ride. And that lid? "$35, Job Lot."

I can only imagine how miserable Elbow Rock Road must be...there was STILL a water section despite how dry it's been. That second "puddle" has a cement "log" in the middle of it...makes for a pleasant experience.

Mother Nature offers up a kickstand

loving the sand!

I absolutely love this pic of Mrs Rhode trip ... did someone mention nails for breakfast?

Not to be outdone, here's Rhode trip!

We ran into a lot of ATV and Jeep folks, all who were super-nice and friendly. One guy couldn't believe tmlee was riding the fat pig VStrom on some of the same trails he was riding his TURQUOISE Jeep on. He did agree me with when I complained "no mud, no fun!"

art shot! Fiddleheads and motorbikes at a dirtroad crossroads. I love these random 4-ways when the GPS is just showing an arrow pointing forward into yellow blankness.

Turtledub on Willie Woodhead

While waiting at the end of Willie Woodhead...couple of sweet boyz getting ready for some fun. Gotta love a man comfortable riding a purple & yellow bike! This is where the Trips broke off :(

fearless leader, jgormley

Turtledub being a complete idiot in the woods, and in true form, we did have a drop on the BBDoR! In all fairness, I want to be like Turtledub when I'm his age. This is a man who just has fun!

I didn't know what jgormley had planned, and I went crazy when I realized we were going on Old Diamond Hill Road. I've been wanting to ride this for TWO years when me and the cheesebot turned back due to horrendous mud that the TA was not liking. Look how sweet!

Turtledub!

BEAVER ACTION!

The same prof who met up with us out of the blue has often said, after I show him pics after our rides, "well, that looks tame," and I always respond, "I need both hands on the bars in the interesting stuff." I decided to try to get some pics where it was slightly more interesting than a dirt road. I'm LOVING the DR...I can squeeze the tank and ride it with one hand on easier rock stuff.

jgormley!

At the end of the ride, me and jgormley headed east after Turtledub and tmlee broke off to head south. We did a couple more nice roads before enduring the hell that is Route 6. People, slow the feck down.

All in all, a GREAT ride. Thanks to everyone who came out and enjoyed this beautiful weather.

And special thank you to cheesebot, who stayed home working on bikes (the Buddy has his new rear tire!).

Scoot Commute: Getting to and from work on 10 inch wheels
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #4323
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
FANTASTIC ride today...jgormley, thank you for putting it together. I had almost too much fun!

all the pics (unedited)

Excellent Post!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #4324
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 651
Thanks, JGormley. Great ride over some challenging terrain.

We figured out the mysterious "tapping" sound that started after Mrs Trip launched herself into the trees: she broke the visor on her helmet! Good day, thanks to all for letting us tag along!

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #4325
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 510
Thanks to jgormley for instigating and leading a great ride yesterday and to everyone else for making it fun and keeping it interesting.

The ride was billed as a BBDOR so I showed up on my V-Strom 1000, having nearly as many CC's as the other 5 bikes - combined!

Note to self - when jgormley says that there "is a little patch ahead", he means I brought the wrong bike. I did manage to make it through the "little patches" upright and mostly unscathed (I think I need to replace the skid plate - again) and even managed to keep up with the pack of "little" bikes.

I had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next one!
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #4326
SKJ
The Canary

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee View Post
Thanks to jgormley for instigating and leading a great ride yesterday and to everyone else for making it fun and keeping it interesting.

The ride was billed as a BBDOR so I showed up on my V-Strom 1000, having nearly as many CC's as the other 5 bikes - combined!

Note to self - when jgormley says that there "is a little patch ahead", he means I brought the wrong bike. I did manage to make it through the "little patches" upright and mostly unscathed (I think I need to replace the skid plate - again) and even managed to keep up with the pack of "little" bikes.

We still have it on file, just have to hit go on the CNC lol
SKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #4327
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:

what's the status of the husky? is it running like crap because it is not powered up (running lean), or is there another issue?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #4328
tmlee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg View Post
what's the status of the husky? is it running like crap because it is not powered up (running lean), or is there another issue?
I dropped it at Roost Powersports today for them to fix. Their first thoughts are a way-off throttle position sensor, so they are going to check that and also re-flash the ECU to correct the mixture, then do whatever it takes to get it right (warranty), then do the power-up.

I also have them changing out the 40 tooth rear sprocket for a 51 tooth sprocket like on the TXC310. The stock sprocket on the TE310R is more street orientated.

Hopefully it will be all better soon.
- Robert Frost
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #4329
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
I also have them changing out the 40 tooth rear sprocket for a 51 tooth sprocket like on the TXC310. The stock sprocket on the TE310R is more street orientated.
I assume there's a typo on one of those numbers?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #4330
tmlee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
I assume there's a typo on one of those numbers?
Nope, going from 40 tooth to 51 tooth rear sprocket + new chain to fit. Does that look wrong? I thought the TXC310 had a 50 tooth rear sprocket, but 51 is what he has.
- Robert Frost
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #4331
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,533
you'll definitely gain some power at the wheel and lose some mph's at max speed but I don't know anything about the bike so perhaps 40 vs 51 is normal.. It just seems like a huge difference compared to what I'm used to seeing.

Aside from the surging the bike seemed strong and it didn't appear to lack power... Perhaps put the 51 sprocket on but order a mid-range sprocket (45 tooth +/-1) as well so you can try different ratios??.. Is the front sprocket the same for both versions you mentioned or are those different as well? Different front sprockets would help to close that gap between a 40 and 51 tooth rear sprocket!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #4332
tmlee
Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
you'll definitely gain some power at the wheel and lose some mph's at max speed but I don't know anything about the bike so perhaps 40 vs 51 is normal.. It just seems like a huge difference compared to what I'm used to seeing.

Aside from the surging the bike seemed strong and it didn't appear to lack power... Perhaps put the 51 sprocket on but order a mid-range sprocket (45 tooth +/-1) as well so you can try different ratios??.. Is the front sprocket the same for both versions you mentioned or are those different as well? Different front sprockets would help to close that gap between a 40 and 51 tooth rear sprocket!
The Husqvarna owners manual I got with the bike covers covers both the TE310 and the TXC310 and lists the sprockets for the TE as 13/40 and for the TXC 13/50. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what's up with the 51 tooth sprocket. Perhaps something in between would work better in the end, but I guess I'll see how the 13/50 gearing works out first. It seems like many on Cafe Husky and TT switch to the 50 tooth.
- Robert Frost
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #4333
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
It's typical for a street-legal bike (off the showroom floor street-legal) to come with a small rear sprocket.
They gear the bike overly tall in order to pass EPA-type drive-by sound tests.
The theory is that a bike geared way tall will be at a lower engine RPM while being ridden past the sound test equipment at the specified speed with the transmission in the specified gear.
Lower engine RPM = lower noise output.

The trade-off is that 13/40 sprockets are too tall in gearing for staying on the street, never mind the Pachaug loop.
They (the motorcycle manufacturer) won't tell you that, though.
You figure that out on your own.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #4334
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
The Husqvarna owners manual I got with the bike covers covers both the TE310 and the TXC310 and lists the sprockets for the TE as 13/40 and for the TXC 13/50. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what's up with the 51 tooth sprocket. Perhaps something in between would work better in the end, but I guess I'll see how the 13/50 gearing works out first. It seems like many on Cafe Husky and TT switch to the 50 tooth.
it really depends on how much you plan on riding it on the road. i bought my 250 used and the PO geared it with a 12/51 combo. It sucks on the road, but i love it on the trail. only road riding i do though is the connectors at pachaug. i think the 13/51 will be fine,
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #4335
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

VStrom approved puddle:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">