ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #4471
Turtledub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Stomper, check your PMs
Turtledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #4472
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,178
Today's the day ... I'm flying down to Fort Lauderdale to pick up the 2006 Husky! I'm going to try to write it up as I'm travelling and started a thread in Day Trippin'. The plan is to be back in Rhode Island next Saturday or Sunday.

I'm just hoping there's actually a bike there when I get down there

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891659

New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #4473
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Today's the day ... I'm flying down to Fort Lauderdale to pick up the 2006 Husky! I'm going to try to write it up as I'm travelling and started a thread in Day Trippin'. The plan is to be back in Rhode Island next Saturday or Sunday.

If not there is now a nice one available in TN.. a bit of a walk from FL to TN.. but you could do it.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #4474
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post

Woo-hoo!
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #4475
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,134
Good luck with the trip. Maybe you could lace up some 12" rims on it so you could say you're still riding a scooter.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #4476
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
man, i know husky's rare around here, but that was the closest one you could find ?

My daughter goes to school at U of Miami, so I have spent a lot of time in the area the last couple years. Lot of lunatic drivers down there, be careful in that area!!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #4477
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 644
I would like to apologize if this post is not on topic, I will try to include more kayaking information in my future posts.

mrt10x, alcontrast and I headed up to VT to join the VT BMW MOV group with their annual Puppy Dog Route ride. For those of you that do not know, this is the group that put the route together and have posted the gpx files on their web site (www.vtbmwmov.org) or all to enjoy. It is a great ride for big and small bikes that runs mostly gravel for about 400 miles through Vermont from Massachusetts to the Canadian border. It is not heroic by any means, hence the name, but it is a great ride through some beautiful and remote landscapes.

The plan for the event was for riders to either start from northern Vermont or Massachusetts and ride the route to the halfway point at the Silver Lake campground in Barnard. We chose to start from the north and headed up to Smugglers Notch for friday night.

mrt10x and I set up camp at Smugglers and learned that alcontrast was having some voltage issues, was in the process of unloading and disassembling his bike and would not be able to meet us that night.

We arose early (very early for mrt10x), rode some twisties north and met the northern MOVers in Troy.

The ride south was fairly blurry. After about six hours of beautiful gravel roads and pretty warm weather the skies opened up and turned our path to mud. Most wanted to cut loose to camp so we chose 10 miles of slab over the last 30 miles of slop to get to camp.

At Sliver Lake campground we set up, had some chow thanks to the MOV and ran into alcontrast on his reassembled BMW as well as jgorm on his surrogate KLR. We solved many problems around the fire that evening and had plenty of laughs.

Sunday morning came and we woke up gone. We were riding south with a new group, alcontast, jgorm, mrt10x, Keith from NY, Steve from CT, Art from NH and myself. I had squeezed all color out of my grips the day before so we decided to ride at a more leisurely pace on the gravel this day. Breakfast at the South Woodstock Country Store and lunch in Townsend.
Along the way mrt10x gave us some photography tips.

He also gave the group a demonstration about wild mushrooms.

It was a great ride with some great people. Thanks to MOV, mrt10x, jgorm, alcontrast and our new friends.
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #4478
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
It was a good ride.. the Puppy Dog route is easily doable on any bike and any skill level.. I think the Southern half is more scenic than the Northern half. Overall I think the ride should be done if you are in the area, however, it is nothing magnificent... I think a road oriented ride through all the twisty gap roads would actually be more fun. The PDR just seems like it is trying too hard to make an adventure out of an area that does not have a lot of adventure left in it,,, Then again maybe I am just grumpy because I am tired.

I managed to blow a couple of fuses whilst trying to recharge my cell phone.. my stellar wiring work at play again I am sure.. I think I am going to have to ask for some help in this area.. maybe finally install that fuse block I have been eyeing for a while... One of the retaining screws on my Rigid LED lights backed completely out somewhere over the last 4k miles and the left light decided it wanted to stay in VT and tried to escape during the ride.. luckily Keith from NY captured it for me and returned it.

I noticed while riding through the second massive thunderstorm of the trip,,, on my way down I-91 that the backlight on my instrument panel is also out.. see above for electrical issues.. I can tell you that while riding at 90mph through a Noah's Ark like deluge, on a rear tire that is losing 2-3 psi every 15-20 minutes, the clench factor is high. Thanks for Ernie to leading us through the hundreds of turns and connectors, Jerry for finally clearing up how mortgage payments actually work, and Al for contributing to my VA disability claim by furthering my hearing loss.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #4479
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Good job men

Like Green River Valley

There's a soft spot as I spent my first 16 summers in Vermont
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #4480
Turtledub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
It's my turn now.

Thanks for the reports and pictures guys. I'm heading out tomorrow for Vermont. Will spend all my miles on and around the Green Mtn. Nat. Forest, connecting all the passes with as many unpaved roads and trails as I can find. Back in a week or ten days, what ever it takes at a turtle pace.
Turtledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #4481
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,507
I had a late start but it was a good weekend of riding.. It was definitely a good shakedown ride for my travels next week.. Thanks for taking the lead gentlemen!

Jerry: I owe you a lunch or something on a future ride since I neglected to throw some dollars your way for the campsite...

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #4482
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Here are my pictures for my 4 day ride thru Vermont...

Thurs ride up to Silver Lake Campground (which is very nice..)

Friday ride the Six Gaps of the Green Mountains... (Lincoln was the best)

Saturday ride to Stowe for Auto Road to the top (Which doesn't allow MCs.. f-ers)

Sunday ride home... with Ernie, Matt, Al, and a few extra good guys...

Ate a lot of dust, got caught in the rain too, but very glad I made the trip..

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com//photos/701652...th/8942683799/

jgormley screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 07:07 PM
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #4483
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,507
T-Dub: If you are still in VT as of Friday you should swing by Brighton State Park / the RedNEK Rendevous. We'll be up there the evening of June 7th and 8th; "we" being several of the Big Bike Drop-o-Rama and Camp-n-Ride regulars along with a number of others. CanuMan who is organizing the Rendevous could be talked into giving up all sorts of off the grid free camp site info in northern NH/VT and even Maine with very little prodding. He's a wealth of info for that area...

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #4484
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,731
Jerry is that saddle bag touching the rear tire....looks close.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #4485
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
We were also on the Puppy Dog on Saturday in VT, as well as the TMT Sunday. We passed a GS rider with a white helmet somewhere in Mass on Sunday heading south on the TMT; was it anyone of your group?

This was at the campground before exiting Sunday-
75 Montesa 247
65 Norton 650ss
Bikenstitches is offline   Reply With Quote