ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #31
Dachary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
FYI, I'm in Boston and have done both the TMT and half of the PDR on my F650 recently. The TMT was a bit more hairy than the PDR (mostly where we missed a turn and cut across an unofficial bit of track that it turns out was actually kinda technical) but both are easy and big bike friendly. I'd love to get some other dirt under my belt, as that's literally all the dirt I've done so far and we're heading out to SA/CA in December - I'd like to have a bit more dirt experience before then. I'd love to see what you guys have planned, and if it's not too far (read: early) for us to get there from Boston in the AM, we'd love to come along on the 650s!
BOS -> CO - 2 dogs in a Ural - 2012
Find us on SPOT
Dachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #32
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
Hey Dach,

If you're interested, we (cheesebot and I) can put you up on the Saturday evening as we have access to an empty apartment. We can even move some bikes around in the garage so your bikes would be cosy, too. The ride down to Arcadia (where I think this ride is starting) is about 40 minutes if we take back roads.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll set you up with the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachary
FYI, I'm in Boston and have done both the TMT and half of the PDR on my F650 recently. The TMT was a bit more hairy than the PDR (mostly where we missed a turn and cut across an unofficial bit of track that it turns out was actually kinda technical) but both are easy and big bike friendly. I'd love to get some other dirt under my belt, as that's literally all the dirt I've done so far and we're heading out to SA/CA in December - I'd like to have a bit more dirt experience before then. I'd love to see what you guys have planned, and if it's not too far (read: early) for us to get there from Boston in the AM, we'd love to come along on the 650s!
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #33
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
I'd be up for a nice ride through Arcadia and into CT on the sumo (which is my "big" bike). I'll be in Western MA/VT this weekend, but if you guys come up with something in mid/late October, I'd love to join in if you don't mind a girl hanging around. You can still burp and fart and swear and go on about boobies; I grew up with brothers.
That's funny kid!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #34
Dachary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Hey Dach,

If you're interested, we (cheesebot and I) can put you up on the Saturday evening as we have access to an empty apartment. We can even move some bikes around in the garage so your bikes would be cosy, too. The ride down to Arcadia (where I think this ride is starting) is about 40 minutes if we take back roads.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll set you up with the details.
Depends on weather and dog-sitting, I think. Is there an official plan? This was going to be next weekend, yes? We were considering heading back out today to do the south leg of the PDR, which we missed last weekend, but the weather is crap this weekend. Definitely interested if weather cooperates.
BOS -> CO - 2 dogs in a Ural - 2012
Find us on SPOT
Dachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #35
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,199
If I have followed the route of this thread correctly it looks like we are planning a Sunday the 24th ride of the Arcadia/Pachaug/Nachaug/Mt Misery areas? I honestly dont know how much area that is.. I have ridden as many of the dirt roads I can find in Pachaug/Arcadia but I know there are tons more. I dont know how much of a haul it is from the Arcadia/Pachaug areas, which seem to be pretty close to each other, up to Nachaug.
AKAROB/HEYDOC/TMLEE seem to know the areas pretty well. I will throw out a 0800 meet at the Middle of Nowhere Diner in Exeter as a jump off point... only to get discussion rolling. For those more familiar to the area please suggest a better time and location.

Seems that we need to stick to pretty well established dirt roads as there will be a couple of street bikes? I got TKC 80's from the UPS guy yesterday and plan on having Razee mount them this week.

Please dont take any of the above as direction or set in stone, after 20 years in the Marines I have learned that a plan must have a beginning point from which to immediately deviate.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #36
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,577
I wouldn't mind leading the first leg through Pachaug and Mt Misery.

We need volunteers to lead though other areas though.

I think we should plan on leaving (kickstands up) at 10:00 AM from the Mobil Station / DnD in the center of Voluntown.

I'd imagine the first leg (my lead) would last about 1.5 to 2 hours. Primarily gravel roads and a few relaxing road miles.

Who's picking it up from there? Volunteers for Arcadia / Nachaug / other ?

akarob screwed with this post 10-18-2010 at 11:27 AM
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #37
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
I vote that we start in Rhode Island (Arcadia) and then head into CT (Mt Misery and then up to Nachaug), starting with breakfast at the Middle of Nowhere like mrt10x suggested (at 8am ). If folks don't want to join others to break bread, then we should probably have a central meeting place in Arcadia at 9:15/30-ish.

I say start in RI because if I understand the overall route, it makes sense to go east to west.

tmlee, are you leading Arcadia? I haven't been able to get back down there since I got lost last time so I'm basically useless.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #38
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

The east to west thing is what I had in mind when I suggested the Cafe. Start in Arcadia, move to Pachaug, i dont know where Mt Misery is and then head north to Natchaug. This would require the CT riders to drive east past all the riding they are going to do for the day in the morning, but then end up closer to home? While the RI riders make out in the morning, but then have to double back at the end of the day. Lets see what the rest of the folks have to say and make a consensus type decision later in the week.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #39
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
tmlee, are you leading Arcadia? I haven't been able to get back down there since I got lost last time so I'm basically useless.
I have done the RI DEM published 18.9 mile Arcadia motorcycle loop several times and know the route well. There are a few easy gates to go around. One trail, the Bliven trail, has a few washout areas that might be a bit too technical for big bikes or beginners, and we can just avoid that or split the group to regroup down the road.

Except for Bliven, the loop is compact dirt/gravel roads, nothing technical.

Being the weekend, there may be horseback riding on the Arcadia trails also.

I'll start anywhere, but the diner sounds good (and really close) to me!

Maybe lilolita can chime in on whether the Bliven trail or the 2 gates going into Arcadia from Breakheart Hill Road would be too difficult for some riders or bigger bikes? (I can make the gates with the V-Strom with a few back-and-forths.) Breakheart would be a good way to enter Arcadia if we start at the diner. Bliven can be avoided altogether entering from Breakheart.

-Terry
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #40
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,577
Sounds good to me! Maybe Doc will offer to do Nachaug.

I think that we can do whatever gravel road there is. It won't be fast through the rough sections, but if a soccer mom in a minivan can navigate it, we should be able to.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #41
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
will a small bike (klx250) be able to keep up with this group when on the road? I have a friend who may be interested in riding his vstrom, and I'd like to ride along, but the 250 is all i got. i would probably only do the pachaug/arcadia sections. i think it all depends if my friend has to work or not.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #42
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 522
Fluorescent orange required in Arcadia area.

From RI DEM website - Management area regulations.

16.7.6 All other users of State Management areas and designated
undeveloped state parks, including but not limited to: hikers, bikers,
horseback riders, are required to wear two hundred (200) square
inches of solid daylight fluorescent orange from the third Saturday in
October to the last day of February

Not sure if it is strictly enforced or not, just thought I'd make everyone aware.
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #43
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Yeah that Sat is opening day.. i figured my bright yellow Aerostich Darien would suffice,, but it might be an issue.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #44
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Thumb

I like the idea of starting east and moving west. An early breakfast/coffee stop, during which we can both plan and deviate, is a great way to start!!!
I can lead a very nice road ride north from Pachaug up to and around Nachaug if anyone wants to extend the day. I want to do some pre riding on Weds to see exactly what type/mileage riding is available in Nachaug Forrest. It may not be worth a 30+ mile road ride to get there. Again we can plan, and deviate from any plan, over coffee. (I really like that!)
As far as the blaze orange requirement, I am almost certain it does not apply if we stay on roads that are open to vehicular traffic. It would apply on "trails" etc that pass thru hunting areas.
I will report back on the pre-ride results. Looking forward to meeting everyone
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #45
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,569
I like the Middle Of Nowhere Diner idea (that's the name of a diner in Exeter, RI for those of you not familiar) but 8am would be a little, perhaps a lot early for me. ...hmm.. partially disregard that statement..

I was going to offer up a plan/option for late-comer riders to meet up at the gas station in Voluntown, CT that AkaRob mentioned.. Instead I think I will probably stealth camp over in Exeter the night before if I intend to get there in the morning. I know a couple of good spots... If I left from Home that morning my ride to the diner would be, at the absolute minimum, an hour and a half.. a 6:30 departure on a crisp late October morning (on a DRZ400) does not entice me..

Although the late comer option might be a good idea anyway.. For me or others....

If people meet at the diner at 8am and have a light breakfast; depart by 9am, perhaps... say 9:30 to give a little leeway.. TmLee could lead a ride for an hour or so in Arcadia and get everyone over to Voluntown, CT by around 10:30-11:00am.. Have a coffee and warm up a little; late comers (riders from central CT or elsewhere) could join up, then AkaRob could take the lead and there would be another 1 - 2 hours of riding in that area, then Natchaug if someone wants to lead the group up that way. Would it be overly complicated (and unnecessary) to put in a third meet up point between Pachaug and Natchaug?

perhaps a schedule like:

8am-9:30 breakfast in Exeter
9:30-11am riding (arcadia)
11am to 11:30 - voluntown DD/Mobil (fuel / coffee / latecomers)
11:30 - 1:30pm+ Arcadia riding +...

from there I don't know.. Perhaps another option for riders to join in late or just keep riding and let the current pack peel off when they see fit.. Earlier it may be wise to add an extra half hour or more to each stage for cat herding..

PS: Not trying to set an agenda.. just throwing ideas out there!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote