ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #4501
ridesdirt
Ya, it's a bimmer
 
ridesdirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: North Central, CT
Oddometer: 143
It might have been me on my GSA wearing a rallye jacket and my white Shoei neotec. I was exploring up by RT 23 via Beech hill road, Gibbs road and North. I saw a lot of riders out Sunday around the TMT routes packed for
overnights heading South.
__________________
You can always spot a motorcycle racer in a restaurant. He's the one gripping his fork with the first two fingers of his left hand. Kenny Roberts (1973)
ridesdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #4502
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Something about this sport where you buy something and you soon decide you don't like it and you want something else...and you end up with multiples of everything.


So far I have:
1 bike (like a lot, but need a big bike)
4 jackets (still need a new one)
1 pant (need another pair)
2 helmets (need a ds one)
2 gloves (ok here)
0 racks (guess this is my next purchase)
1 boots
1 tent/pad/sleeping bag (pad is good, rest I would like to upgrade)

and I probably have the lest stuff of everyone...
Everyone here knows that I suffer from a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).. I also have the other version of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) along with BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) and FAS (Fishing Acquisition Syndrome) which is a subset of GAS Off the top of my head I believe I have 8 tents in the gear locker. Now a couple of those are 15-20 year old REI tents that I only break out when the nephews want to go back packing with me, or other friends need gear.. and I also have lightweight backpacking tents, 4 season tents for snow camping, and a recently aquired 6 man tent like Rob's for car camping.

So my thoughts on gear.. just make sure you aren't allowing GAS to drive your decisions.. I often buy gear just because I want to try something new, or because it looks cool, or because it will knock a 1/2 lb off my pack weight... Jerry you dont strike me as one who will fall victim to my disease

I will also say that it is cheaper in the end to buy topline gear right at the start, then to try and make "deal" gear work. I tried several jackets before I finally bought my Aerostich.. I could have saved hundreds just buying the Stich first. Of course now I wear a KLIM jacket, but honestly that was just GAS at work.. the Stich and a water bladder would work just as well. But I truly believe Gore-Tex is generally better than the knock off barriers, I believe the no questions warranty policy of a company like Marmot or Mountain Hardwear is worth the extra $2-300. I have a Mountain Hardwear 15 degree down bag that I bought 18 years ago,,, they replaced it seven or eight years ago because a zipper failed with no questions asked... I don’t think ALPS or Coleman are going to do that.. OTOH you could buy 4 ALPS tents for the price of one Mountain Hardwear tent and when one breaks just break out a new one

I am an advertisers wet dream..no question about it.. but it is part of the fun to me, and keeps me interested. Probably my Orange County CA upbringing.

Edit: OBTW tomorrow morning is the "Basement" sale at the REI in Cranston.. this is where they sell off rental gear and returned gear... some blow out bargains can be found.
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

mrt10x screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 07:58 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #4503
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,776
...... Funny shit Matt!!
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #4504
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Of course now I wear a KLIM jacket, but honestly that was just GAS at work.. the Stich and a water bladder would work just as well. But I truly believe Gore-Tex is generally better than the knock off barriers
Be nice if there was a good Gore-Tex m/c jacket for around $300...
I can't seem to find one...
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #4505
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
...
Edit: OBTW tomorrow morning is the "Basement" sale at the REI in Cranston.. this is where they sell off rental gear and returned gear... some blow out bargains can be found.
ORLY? I smell a trip to Cranston.

No. Really. Cranston has a unique aroma - harispray, goldish chain polish and desperation.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #4506
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Be nice if there was a good Gore-Tex m/c jacket for around $300...
I can't seem to find one...
You won't find one new, keep your eyes on the flea market, ebay and Craigslist, they pop up now and again.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #4507
lilolita
fahr mit mir
 
lilolita's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Probbydense, RI
Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Be nice if there was a good Gore-Tex m/c jacket for around $300...
I can't seem to find one...
There are ... Rukka. You think I'd drop a grand on a jacket?!

  • www.biker-land.de (create an account, log in, see lowest price -- currently the Quartz and Pablo jackets are around $325)
  • used on eBay and craiglist (we've gotten 5 jackets and 3 pairs of pants that way)
  • flea market on ADV
Decide on what you want, look for it, be patient.


If you like your current jacket, get a Gore-Tex shell. LL Bean has a good sale section on their website and guarantee their products for life. I've been shopping at Beans when they still had taxidermy all over the tiny shop in Freeport.
__________________
Founding Member, OPB [Other People's Bikes]

Scoot Commute: Getting to and from work on 10 inch wheels
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4508
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
go2cnavy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Be nice if there was a good Gore-Tex m/c jacket for around $300...
I can't seem to find one...
I wear this all year in NE
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+klimate+parka

It's a great jacket that is comfortable from 20* to 70*. It has no armor (just cordura reinforced shoulders and elbows) so you'll have to wear elbow pads underneath for dirt oriented riding. By far the best jacket I have found for the price. I have the bibs too, but they are super hot over 50*.

I will be wearing this jacket and dakar pants to the RR13 in Canada this year.

This one has shoulder and elbow pad pockets.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...raverse-Jacket
__________________
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #4509
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: CT
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
I wear this all year in NE
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+klimate+parka

It's a great jacket that is comfortable from 20* to 70*. It has no armor (just cordura reinforced shoulders and elbows) so you'll have to wear elbow pads underneath for dirt oriented riding. By far the best jacket I have found for the price. I have the bibs too, but they are super hot over 50*.

I will be wearing this jacket and dakar pants to the RR13 in Canada this year.

This one has shoulder and elbow pad pockets.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...raverse-Jacket

I was going to suggest the traverse. Guys out in the PNW swear by the traverse jacket/pants combo for their wet/moist/everything climate.

I will also second the recommendation of getting a gore-tex (or comparable alternative) shell to layer over whatever your current protective jacket. IMHO, a gore-tex riding jacket in 90+ heat is likely to be uncomfortable in the NE, the mugginess is pretty horrid. If you just want rain protection to layer over your mesh jacket, a lightweight read: gore-tec active layer, this is a specific highly breathable, lightweight packable shell.
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #4510
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
There are ... Rukka. You think I'd drop a grand on a jacket?!

  • www.biker-land.de (create an account, log in, see lowest price -- currently the Quartz and Pablo jackets are around $325)
  • used on eBay and craiglist (we've gotten 5 jackets and 3 pairs of pants that way)
  • flea market on ADV
Decide on what you want, look for it, be patient.


If you like your current jacket, get a Gore-Tex shell. LL Bean has a good sale section on their website and guarantee their products for life. I've been shopping at Beans when they still had taxidermy all over the tiny shop in Freeport.
And there I go, being wrong again.

Not that I mind, if someone has a better idea or knows more, lets hear it!


As far as the LLBean idea goes, its a good one. They offer sizes that go high enough to fit over your protective jacket and they really do stand behind their stuff. The trip up to Freeport is also a bit of fun, there are far better ways to get there than I95...
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #4511
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 693
I just took my Columbia Titanium Gore Tex jacket for a beer run in this rain... This jacket is a Gore Tex shell over a fleece liner....

So I just wore the shell in this rain over a sweater.. but the jacket seemed to be soaking up the water and not shedding it... so it may be ok for a shower but not so good for a downpour.

I would assume that the Klim Traverse or Klimate would hold up in a downpour..
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #4512
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
I just took my Columbia Titanium Gore Tex jacket for a beer run in this rain... This jacket is a Gore Tex shell over a fleece liner....

So I just wore the shell in this rain over a sweater.. but the jacket seemed to be soaking up the water and not shedding it... so it may be ok for a shower but not so good for a downpour.

I would assume that the Klim Traverse or Klimate would hold up in a downpour..
Jerry I can get you a Klim Traverse in black or grey for $245. .. no armor in that jacket though.. so you need to move the stuff from your current jacket...or buy a some armor to put in it... the KLIM D30 armor is out of stock everywhere as they switch to new stuff.. but I would buy Forcefield Armor anyway.. better than D30. The Klim will hold up in a downpour... you Columbia jacket just wasnt designed for motorcycle use.. and it sounds like it probably needs a refresh of the DWR coating..
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #4513
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
I just took my Columbia Titanium Gore Tex jacket for a beer run in this rain... This jacket is a Gore Tex shell over a fleece liner....

So I just wore the shell in this rain over a sweater.. but the jacket seemed to be soaking up the water and not shedding it... so it may be ok for a shower but not so good for a downpour.

I would assume that the Klim Traverse or Klimate would hold up in a downpour..
How new is the Columbia jacket? The Gore-Tex is a membrane on the inside of the jacket, it won't stop the outer fabric from getting soaked. For that, you need to treat it with a water repellent product. I prefer the wash-in Nikwax stuff, it seems to work the best. To treat my (unhealthy large) collection of Gore-Tex stuff, I first wash with the Nikwax Techwash, then while thats in the machine, I fill a large rubbermaid bucket with warm water and a bottle of Nikwax water repellent, then let the jacket/pants setup soak overnight. They air dry the next day and are good for a couple months after that.

Gore-Tex relies on two things to work: A clear path for moisture to escape and a temperature/humidity differential. If the outer shell is soaked, it won't be as effective. If the ambient temp/humidity is high, it won't be as effective. Gore-Tex (and its analogues) work best in cold, dry environments with a dry outer fabric.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #4514
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Jerry I can get you a Klim Traverse in black or grey for $245. .. no armor in that jacket though.. so you need to move the stuff from your current jacket...or buy a some armor to put in it... the KLIM D30 armor is out of stock everywhere as they switch to new stuff.. but I would buy Forcefield Armor anyway.. better than D30. The Klim will hold up in a downpour... you Columbia jacket just wasnt designed for motorcycle use.. and it sounds like it probably needs a refresh of the DWR coating..
Pullin the trigger...pm sent....
Thanks Matt...
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #4515
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 288
Little street ride starting in Windham, CT at 1 pm

up to Mass if big dirt side trip to Yale Forest
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014