ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #61
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,462
I'll be there as well. It's close to Arcadia.

Middle Of Nowhere Diner 8:00-9:30 AM
http://themiddleofnowherediner.com/

222 Nooseneck Hill Road
Exeter RI 02282

akarob screwed with this post 10-22-2010 at 07:54 PM
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #62
Cobia235
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Looks like sunday's weather is only going to be cloudy precip 20% with lows in the low 40's high of 61 better than 35 degrees this morning at 7 am. Will see you as well.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #63
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Thumb

Yup, I will be there. Rain or shine.
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #64
CTyankee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I just found this thread a couple days ago but I thought I would be tied up on Sun. It now looks like I'm free so I might show up for this. Not sure if I can make it for breakfast at 8:00 though. Is there a pit stop in Voluntown?
'11 Tiger 800
'11 Police Electraglide. Go figure
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #65
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee
I just found this thread a couple days ago but I thought I would be tied up on Sun. It now looks like I'm free so I might show up for this. Not sure if I can make it for breakfast at 8:00 though. Is there a pit stop in Voluntown?
I'd say this is our tentative schedule from akarob's post above.
8:00 - 9:30 am: breakfast at Middle of Nowhere Diner (Exeter, RI)
9:30 - 11:00 am: riding in Arcadia led by tmlee
11:00 to 11:30 am: Voluntown Dunkin' Donuts / Mobil station (fuel / coffee / latecomers): Map
11:30 am: riding in Pachaug led by akarob
then HeyDoc takes us up to Natchaug

Another food/drink/pee stop at some point?
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #66
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 516
THE plan (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
I'd say this is our tentative schedule from akarob's post above.
8:00 - 9:30 am: breakfast at Middle of Nowhere Diner (Exeter, RI)
9:30 - 11:00 am: riding in Arcadia led by tmlee
11:00 to 11:30 am: Voluntown Dunkin' Donuts / Mobil station (fuel / coffee / latecomers): Map
11:30 am: riding in Pachaug led by akarob
then HeyDoc takes us up to Natchaug

Another food/drink/pee stop at some point?
I just got home from surveying a route through Arcadia. The "official" RI DEM motorcycle loop has a few parts that are unsuitable or unusable for this ride. The unsuitable section has a gate that I had a real hard time getting my V-Strom around, almost got stuck there, as well as some deep sand sections beyond the gate. I was able to eventually get through, but almost dropped the Strom a few times thorough the sandy stuff. The unusable part is where a bridge on the loop has been closed in the last week or so. The barricades blocking the bridge from traffic are so tight together a starving chipmunk would have difficulty squeezing through.

So I rode and found what I think will be a nice ride. The ride, including the paved roads from the diner and to the Mobile gas station/Dunkin Doughnuts, is 33.7 miles, 12.9 miles paved/20.8 miles dirt. I rode them all tonight on the V-Strom with street tires, so it should be suitable for most.(?) If that is too long there is a loop of all dirt that can be bypassed. This reduces the ride distance to 26.8 miles and about 1:00 - 1:15 in duration.

I estimate the full ride time from the Diner to the Mobile station in Voluntown to be 1:15 to 1:30. So kickstands up at as suggested at 9:30 AM at the diner and arrive at the Mobile station around 11:00 AM for fuel, break, and meet up with anyone joining there. I guess akarob takes it from there about 11:30 AM?

There is no fuel available along the route, but plenty at the end.

I will arrive at the diner between 8 and 8:30 for breakfast and look forward to seeing you all there.

Let me know if the plan is not what we had in mind. I'm flexible

-Terry
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #67
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
I will be there tomorrow at some point as well..

I was goign to head out tonight to stealth camp in Arcadia until I remembered it was hunting season and I don't want to get shot at while brushing my teeth in the morning.

As of now the temperatures don't look THAT bad for the morning and I already dug out my snowboarding gloves... I'm hoping to leave the homestead by 7am to get to the diner around 8:30.. However if I pussy out or just get lazy (I'm NOT a morning person) I may roll into the DD/Mobil in Voluntown early (around 10:30-11:00) and hang out till some ADV bikers arrive..

How about this idea for potential late comers?... If anyone is going to try to meet up with the pack at the gas station in Voluntown post a message here in this thread before 11am... Then, assuming at least ONE person in the group has an internet capable phone, someone in the group can check the thread when they get to Voluntown, CT and hang around a little later if they get there early... Although nothing ever gets done early on a group ride.. That person could also potentially post a reply to this thread earlier in the morning saying the group was running behind schedule if that's the case..

EDIT: tmlee posted literally while I was typing. His post sounds perfect.. If he can get the big wide V-Strom (1000cc, not the smaller 650cc) through the "unsuitable" section with street tires it should be doable for ANY dual sport oriented bike.. Or any bike that you don't mind riding in an area it could get a little dirty... Ride what you have! I'm trying to get my sisters husband to come out on his new to him 1989 FJ1200 sport bike.. He might lag a little in the loose stuff but he would love it..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)

alcontrast screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 05:16 PM
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #68
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks for the scouting efforts and report tm! Sounds like a good ride. I will be at the diner for coffee and a bite @ 8-8:30. I hate to disappoint anyone, but if the Pachaug leg of the ride runs too late, I may have to head back home. I have a 3:00pm meeting. If I do need to bail on the Natchaug leg, I have detailed notes and a map anyone can follow. Or we can do a separate ride of the Northeast corner in coming weeks! See you in the AM
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #69
CTyankee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Heading out now. See ya in Voluntown around 10:30
'11 Tiger 800
'11 Police Electraglide. Go figure
CTyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #70
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 516
I had a great time today and look forward to next time!

Click the link for a Google map of the Arcadia ride, from the diner to the Mobile gas station - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...44fdbf0960074c

-Terry
- Robert Frost

tmlee screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 03:51 PM
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #71
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
it was definitely a fun ride today and great to see a good size group in the end of October! Thanks to tmlee and rob for leading the way! I have a short video with a moderate amount of vibration (hand held camera on dirt road) uploading now.. I'll add that in a little while..

here's a gas stop pic of most of the attendees...

and much like tmlee's image above here's the track from my GPS.. The gpx file of the track is below it if anyone wants it..

http://www.albarkley.com/temp/adv/Ar...de%20track.gpx

video up in a couple of hours..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #72
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
try to edit out the katana and 30 year old R75/5 so we look like we are actually riding off road
Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #73
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x
try to edit out the katana and 30 year old R75/5 so we look like we are actually riding off road
More like 40 year old R75/5.
cheesebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #74
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Great fun and nice meeting up with everyone! Just about perfect mix of roads/terrain for the group of bikes involved. And some of it was legitimate off roading.........certainly no place a normal rider would take a street bike Say like, a Katana or a classic R75 . Great going everyone, lets do it again before the snow flies.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #75
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebot
More like 40 year old R75/5.
I guess I failed math for Marines once again.