ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #91
alcontrast
at least I'm trying
 
alcontrast's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: central CT, USA
Oddometer: 1,533
the arcadia loop is all really nice dirt roads.. she's more than ready. The nice part about it that surprised me is how high of a percentage of it (at least the ride that tmlee led us on last weekend) was un-paved. It was almost all long stretches of nice dirt roads
__________________

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #92
tmlee
Enigma
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast
the arcadia loop is all really nice dirt roads.. she's more than ready. The nice part about it that surprised me is how high of a percentage of it (at least the ride that tmlee led us on last weekend) was un-paved. It was almost all long stretches of nice dirt roads
There is an RI DEM designated motorcycle loop in Arcadia. I played with Google maps yesterday and mapped it out - see the link http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4fda6ebc00f628
It is all pretty easy except for Bliven Trail, which is deeply rutted in sections due to water runoff.
Be aware that there is currently a closed bridge along the loop and I marked it on the map.

The ride I led last Sunday is mapped out here - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...44fdbf0960074c

I am off until Monday, if anyone wants to ride Arcadia or Pachaug, let me know. I just replaced the wheel bearing on my DRZ400 and will get the new tires (D606 front & rear) mounted up tonight.

-Terry
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost

tmlee screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 04:02 PM
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #93
alcontrast
at least I'm trying
 
alcontrast's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: central CT, USA
Oddometer: 1,533
you are putting 606's on the V-strom 1000? that's awesome.. you handled that bike like a champ on the DS ride. With some hardcore knobbies on there you'll be riding that bike like Redbeard rides his f650 Dakar!
__________________

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #94
tmlee
Enigma
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast
you are putting 606's on the V-strom 1000? that's awesome.. you handled that bike like a champ on the DS ride. With some hardcore knobbies on there you'll be riding that bike like Redbeard rides his f650 Dakar!
No, no - the 606s are going on the DRZ. Probably put TKC80 knobbies on the V-Strom when I ride the TransLab though.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #95
Dachary
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dachary's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Boston
Oddometer: 313
Looks like we're getting our bikes back on Friday or Saturday so we might be up for a ride, depending on how early we'd need to be there. (We kinda fail at getting up really early.) If we can get the bikes on Fri, Sat would probably work best for us. I'll keep checking in to see if anyone's doing anything this weekend.
__________________
Check out our adventures: Corporate Runaways
Motorcycle Blog: Ain't No Pillion
Boston to Ushuaia on 2 BMW F650GSs - 2010-2011
BOS -> CO - 2 dogs in a Ural - 2012
Find us on SPOT
Dachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #96
jxg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Southern RI
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast
the arcadia loop is all really nice dirt roads.. she's more than ready. The nice part about it that surprised me is how high of a percentage of it (at least the ride that tmlee led us on last weekend) was un-paved. It was almost all long stretches of nice dirt roads
great. i loaded the track into my GPS, and am hoping to get out there friday afternoon or saturday.
__________________
2010 Husqvarna TE250
jxg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #97
jxg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Southern RI
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee
There is an RI DEM designated motorcycle loop in Arcadia. I played with Google maps yesterday and mapped it out - see the link http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4fda6ebc00f628
It is all pretty easy except for Bliven Trail, which is deeply rutted in sections due to water runoff.
Be aware that there is currently a closed bridge along the loop and I marked it on the map.

The ride I led last Sunday is mapped out here - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...44fdbf0960074c

I am off until Monday, if anyone wants to ride Arcadia or Pachaug, let me know. I just replaced the wheel bearing on my DRZ400 and will get the new tires (D606 front & rear) mounted up tonight.

-Terry
i don't know if its my machine or not, but when i click the links, it only shows the overview map of google at arcadia. I don't see your track.

I am going to head out there with the track i loaded.

we still need to get together with fourty2ri and ride. unfortunately all my free time has been helping my daughter with her "learn to ride" project. its been interesting
__________________
2010 Husqvarna TE250
jxg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #98
tmlee
Enigma
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg
i don't know if its my machine or not, but when i click the links, it only shows the overview map of google at arcadia. I don't see your track.

I am going to head out there with the track i loaded.

we still need to get together with fourty2ri and ride. unfortunately all my free time has been helping my daughter with her "learn to ride" project. its been interesting
Is anyone else having a problem with the maps? The route should be highlighted on the Google map when you click on the links.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #99
Cobia235
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Cobia235's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Norwich, CT
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee
Is anyone else having a problem with the maps? The route should be highlighted on the Google map when you click on the links.
Nope it works for me although I am still trying to figure out how to draw the routes in.

I'm planning on doing the same route we did past sunday in arcadia and probably a little more miles in pachaug. probably going to trailer the bike to pachaug and ride to acardia. I will probably start around the same time 9:15 to 9:30 at the white bld on the first dirt road going to camp-e-huntee. Although the eggs benedict at the diner were good! so maybe I'll hit the diner first, decisions, decisions if anyone else wants to ride.
__________________
Honda 1999 XR650L / Suzuki 1979 TS-185
Cobia235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #100
jxg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Southern RI
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobia235
Nope it works for me although I am still trying to figure out how to draw the routes in.

I'm planning on doing the same route we did past sunday in arcadia and probably a little more miles in pachaug. probably going to trailer the bike to pachaug and ride to acardia. I will probably start around the same time 9:15 to 9:30 at the white bld on the first dirt road going to camp-e-huntee. Although the eggs benedict at the diner were good! so maybe I'll hit the diner first, decisions, decisions if anyone else wants to ride.
I am planning on riding saturday, but i will have my 17 yo daughter in tow, along with one of her friends. they are both VERY new to riding, so we would be going really slow.

I always start in the beach pond lot and ride the lower loop in pachaug when i am by myself or other "seasoned" riders (right 42...), but i go by about 3 or 4 Arcadia entries on my way there, heading west on 165. Do i enter at the church for this loop (i guess i will know when i get there with the gps track). Is there room to park a trailer there?

thanks
__________________
2010 Husqvarna TE250
jxg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #101
Cobia235
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Cobia235's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Norwich, CT
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg
I am planning on riding saturday, but i will have my 17 yo daughter in tow, along with one of her friends. they are both VERY new to riding, so we would be going really slow.

I always start in the beach pond lot and ride the lower loop in pachaug when i am by myself or other "seasoned" riders (right 42...), but i go by about 3 or 4 Arcadia entries on my way there, heading west on 165. Do i enter at the church for this loop (i guess i will know when i get there with the gps track). Is there room to park a trailer there?

thanks
Jxg
If you wanted to ride sunday I could so you the loop in arcadia we did sunday, probably omit the yagoo section for the new riders (at a slow pace) Also I believe there is a parking lot on the next right after the church. I was planning on dropping my truck and trailer in the mount misery lot because I want to ride more of the pachaug roads. but I could easily park at arcadia.
Thanks Gene.
__________________
Honda 1999 XR650L / Suzuki 1979 TS-185
Cobia235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #102
jxg
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Southern RI
Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobia235
Jxg
If you wanted to ride sunday I could so you the loop in arcadia we did sunday, probably omit the yagoo section for the new riders (at a slow pace) Also I believe there is a parking lot on the next right after the church. I was planning on dropping my truck and trailer in the mount misery lot because I want to ride more of the pachaug roads. but I could easily park at arcadia.
Thanks Gene.
gene, i will let you know. i think she has volleyball on sunday (hectic life of a senior ).

i usually park at beach pond (but then i am with the hitch hauler, not the trailer), then cut through the trails to get to misery area. the one time I took her, i went through to voluntown, took that left at the gas station, then an immediate left, then pulled into the park there, and parked the trailer on the left. then we just rode around that section (didn't feel comfortable enough for her to ride up the half mile on 165, then up that steepish hill through the pauchaug trail entrance.

i will get back to you later in the week, when plans are firm.

thanks,

John
__________________
2010 Husqvarna TE250
jxg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #103
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,164
The best parking at Arcadia is actually at the entrance just short of the church if you are coming East from Voluntown. As you travel East on Ten rod road/165 you will pass the checkstation/fishing access on your right, and then on your left is the the entrance.. I think it is called the mid or middle entrance. There is very large parking area there,,,it is where all the horse folk park their trailers.

let me know when you are going to ride, i can show either Sat or Sunday.
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #104
alcontrast
at least I'm trying
 
alcontrast's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: central CT, USA
Oddometer: 1,533
Would anyone be interested in a DS ride this Saturday closer to central CT?

I'm going to set up a Dual Sport ride either this weekend or next weekend.. This weekend I would lean towards Saturday since sunday is Halloween..

it would be about 60-80 miles and about 2-4 hours of riding time at the most.. Mostly similar to last weekend but a few short dirt sections that would be a little rougher... Any DS bike would be fine; the classic BMW and the Katana could get through but they may move a little cautiously through some spots.. There's a swing bridge, a ferry ride, a few good puddles but nothing too sketchy, and a nice pub for a late lunch afterwards.. Starting time around 10am.. The area would be East Haddam, Haddam, Colchester, Chester, Portland, etc here in CT..

If I get some interest here for this Saturday (Oct30th) I'll plan for that.. If not much I'll plan for the following sunday (November 7th)..
__________________

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #105
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat
 
Stan Dalone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Wo says ya cant get thair from hair?
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg
or other "seasoned" riders (right 42...),
Umm, HUH?
Only seasoning i like is Green-ish, red with a tint of gold
__________________
My ride report from 8 months and 18000 miles on an old C-10
(soon to be updated)

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014