User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Slippy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Head's up - F800gs Rad' fan vulnerable.

Just to let you know the radiator fan on my F800 GS swallowed a some grit & dirt & died. $420 & only a week later with very little dust & dirt inbetween the new one was clogging too until I intervened with some WD40.

Seems like there may not be enough protection around the fan bearings to stop the ingress of dirt.

Just so you know to invest in a can of WD.

Slippy
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
This is actually a pretty well known topic. I haven't bothered to search but it has been discussed here.

The fix is to periodically reach in and give the fan a turn to ensure it is not stuck.

Flowing some water through the radiator and fan area forward and backwards will clean it out.

I would stay away from the WD. You will attract dirt with it.

If you let your bike sit until the fan kicks in you can easily confirm its operation. If it does not kick in when it is suppose to you will get an oil light blinking on the dash.

Why did you pay? Not in warranty any more?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Thorvald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
My fan on my F650GS twin got full of road tar & rocks last fall (idiots repaving roads without warning signs). When it tried to spin and could not, it threw a check engine light (MAL).

The error code was reported by GS911 was:

10442: Fuse activated for component block 1 (O2 sensors, Fuel Evap control valve-if fitted, and additionally secondary air valve, fan motor for K- and F-series)

Basically the fan tried to draw too much current (it was stuck) and the controller shut it down (hence the fuse activated though it's not really a fuse).

Note that the error light disappeared after turning the bike off and on again, since the fan did not come on right away.

Little clue for those that have this in the future.

---

Now that being said, I wish someone would make a cage/guard for the thing to prevent pebbles from getting in there.

Cheers
Tim
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
-snip-
The fix is to periodically reach in and give the fan a turn to ensure it is not stuck.
I would stay away from the WD. You will attract dirt with it.
If you let your bike sit until the fan kicks in you can easily confirm its operation. If it does not kick in when it is suppose to you will get an oil light blinking on the dash.
Sage advice. Mine was somewhat locked up. Got the oil ight while sitting at a light after a high-speed run on a 90+ degree day. Got home and let things cool. Gave it a turn manually and it felt stuck then "gritty". Spun it around a time or two then heated up the bike. Once up to temp, the fan made an awful squeal and kicked on. Been working fine ever since.
Just be mindful of it and pay some attention.
Ride-on...

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
What everyone else said, give it a spin by hand when it gets stuck. The bearings are not lubricated near as I can tell but last just fine.

Rocks in the shroud, certain types of fine dust, and months of non use will cause them to stick however till manually rotated.

You might go back to the dealer that replaced the fan and inform them of this as they probably did not knowingly replace a good part but are simply unaware.

It's not intuitive and BMW literature does not really mention it.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Slippy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Mine is a 2008 European edition & out of warranty by a month, therefore the credit card took the strain.

Now that I know I'll keep a close eye to ensure I don't have a repeat.

The joys of motorcycle travel eh!
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
outpostbabu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I was sitting at a light today and when I looked down at the gauges the engine light was on and the oil light was flashing. Searched around here to find out what might wrong and sure enough the fan was stuck! Always great info here!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Oil light for fan!

Was stuck in traffic on the highway after a day on the trails, freezing my butt off in the cold and rain when I look down and the oil light is on. Had a vague memory of a thread on advrider talking about the light would come for more than just low oil pressure like one would assume. Pulled over on to the shoulder and switched the bike off and back on. As soon as the bike restarted the fan came on. Light never came back. I am in the habit of manually giving the fan a spin since I read they can get stuck and have found on a few occasions it has been hard to spin initially but this is the first time I've seen the warning on the dash. Thanks again advrider!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
My fan was WAY too close to the radiator and was actually rubbing it. Loosened the bottom mount screw, installed a plastic washer underneath the fan and secured it with the bolt.
Turns fine now, but at first I though the bearings we're going out on it. Might be worth a check.....
Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by flubbyhog View Post
My fan was WAY too close to the radiator and was actually rubbing it. Loosened the bottom mount screw, installed a plastic washer underneath the fan and secured it with the bolt.
Turns fine now, but at first I though the bearings we're going out on it. Might be worth a check.....
I'd want to check to see if you didn't bend or break the plastic rad mounts.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Quoll
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Same issue with the fan. Alerted by the blinking oil light after a long run followed by a long idle. A bit worrying at first but remembered something about fashing oil lights and over temp. After stopping for a few minutes and re starting everything was OK. Later checking of fan showed it appeared seized on the radior core. After manual turning and a good bow out with air the fan freed up. No obvious evidence of small rocks that may have been jamming it. Following another run on gravel roads the problem has re occurred. Think I will try the spacer solution as the sound made is more that of the fan (or gravel between blade and core ) than a dicky bearing.
Quoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32 View Post
I'd want to check to see if you didn't bend or break the plastic rad mounts.
I didn't bust anything, but I did run back outside and check them after I read your post.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
fiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
So, do I assume that if there are no warning lights showing up on the display, that my fan is working normally?. I tried to test out my fan the other day, tried to 'force' it to come on but I couldnt do it.
fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
Quoll
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Seems to take a bit to get the fan to run - a fast run in warm weather and then iding for a few minutes. I would't be suprised if many F800 fans don't work at al over winter in Aus !

Delved into the fan on the bike and removed it after removing beak and "tank" for better access. I found that it is definitely not scraping on the core (over 10mm clearance here) or gravel between the shroud - (there is about 3mm clearance here). It is the fan motor. it will turn, then stick with a gravely feel. Then spin freely ony to lock again - I will get some sparkies to look at it to see if it is salvageable.
Quoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
I had this same problem too. I dismantled the whole radiator setup to let it hang on hoses (not a big task). By that I could get easy access to loosen the fan setup. The problem was that there was dirt (tiny rocks and dust) between the join of the propeller and the fan motor frame. The join is so tight that even small amount of dirt can stuck the propeller. I suppose this might be the main target for these problems.