Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
....I have a little time to work on this.....It has been said over and over again already, but there is really no price you can hang on a Riding And Camping Event like this....
Nice work Tim.......bring on the next installment of the story (please)
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #32
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Another excellent RR. I think those knobbies belonged to Henrikbuus .

I remember on Day 2 he had to go into Mesquyite for a new tire because he was missing some knobs.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #33
henrikbuus
'10 Baja 1000 Podium

Oddometer: 97
Keepin' it real!

Tim and RevK etc. etc. You guys are the real deal! If I had a bunch of pictures and bountyful observations of the terrain and fauna, I would have come in last everyday, but you guys somehow manages to do it all and stay out in front. -Baffeling!
It's all a big blur to me, and maybe it's because I was never there.

Did a little 'research' Monday night. -While Tim was organizing 600+ pictures he took along the way, I was checkin' him out on the googlejuice machine, and he IS the real deal. I wish I had know more about you before hand, I would have milked you for your wisdom and stories all 5 days. I would most likely have overstayed my welcome so propably better I didn't. -But your resume is awesome in my book and your just a 'hoot' to watch riding that beast.
I would love to learn your technique transissioning frm the brake to the throttle as seamless as you do it in those monster slides.

It is almost just as much fun to come back and sit quitely, for once, in front of the screen and take it all in thru your great photo's and captivating vocabulary.
As you might have gathered by now, I do NOT have a whole lot of photo's to contribute. But there's always 'next-Year'.....

So in the meantime, -huge Thanks to everyone who sits down and takes their valuable time to write up these great RR's for us less fortunate to enjoy and relive the whole enselada again and again!! -Thanks you FF's.
henrikbuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #34
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron
Uh-huh...no diapers, but nearly the same thing:

Can you say "Polish condom?" I know for sure that you'dn't have passed us up on several pee-breaks if we didn't need to take them...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrikbuus
Tim and RevK etc. etc. You guys are the real deal! If I had a bunch of pictures and bountyful observations of the terrain and fauna, I would have come in last everyday, but you guys somehow manages to do it all and stay out in front. -Baffeling!
It will come to you...we're all at different places in skills like riding and photography and even just looking around while you are riding/driving, etc. You find time for another to overlap when one gets strong enough...on the other hand, I have crashed more times tryying to ride and take a picture than I care to recollect, so it is a balance to be sure...LOL

Quote:
Did a little 'research' Monday night. -While Tim was organizing 600+ pictures he took along the way, I was checkin' him out on the googlejuice machine, and he IS the real deal. I wish I had know more about you before hand, I would have milked you for your wisdom and stories all 5 days. I would most likely have overstayed my welcome so propably better I didn't. -But your resume is awesome in my book and your just a 'hoot' to watch riding that beast.
I would love to learn your technique transissioning frm the brake to the throttle as seamless as you do it in those monster slides.
You got a LOT faster in flat, open turns following me on the last day, to be sure...I will write something about this in the following day's reports...EVERYONE gets better by orders of magnitude on trips like this, where you are riding all day for consecutive days...it's so cool to see and to feel in yourself too. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I believe that most people are at their best when they are really enjoying themselves, and riding bikes is one of my all-time favorite passions. I've been lucky to have had the chance to do it in a lot of ways and this rally stuff has me really captivated.

Rev K got infinitely better too, especially in sand and whoops...very cool to see happen, to see a person refine skills in such an apparent manner.

Don't be afraid to ask questions...I like for all riders to be "open-source;" it's how I learned a lot of my skills. And I can show you all day long, but in the end you always are the true teacher when it comes to timing or coordination type skills. Like you said, "next time..." - in the mean time it just all takes practice.

Quote:
It is almost just as much fun to come back and sit quitely, for once, in front of the screen and take it all in thru your great photo's and captivating vocabulary.
I think it's almost as fun writing about it too, and telling the stories, as reading others, and also doing just that - taking it all in. We live in an age where a person can understand so much about what another person sees, and at the same time relate their viewpoints as well - through all these ways we have to capture the other's experience so precisely. LOL living vicariously has never been easier...just as having someone live vicariously through you has not, either.

hilslamer screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 03:46 PM Reason: posted accidentally the first time
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,026
Hilslamer, I will admit that that is NOT my emergency inflate hose...

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Hilslamer, I will admit that that is NOT my emergency inflate hose...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #38
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
Great RR! Yall have some great riding over there! Dang it.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #39
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Hey that pool looks like it needs Spafxer's (& POOLS) care... We could set it up for the ADV'rs use while in Death Valley !

I'm sure RiverRat will make weekly service calls too

I learned later that it's the former "Warm Springs Ranch", previously a mine that a moviestar bought and made into a resort of sorts. The spring was still running in the stand of bushes, I could hear it but the foliage was so think I couldn't get to it...and I wasn't about to splash around in the pool...
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #40
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
+1, hard act to follow....
You're doing awesome!!!! Can't wait for days 2-4
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #41
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378

All I can say is Wow.
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #42
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
Hey that pool looks like it needs Spafxer's (& POOLS) care... We could set it up for the ADV'rs use while in Death Valley !

I'm sure RiverRat will make weekly service calls too

I learned later that it's the former "Warm Springs Ranch", previously a mine that a moviestar bought and made into a resort of sorts. The spring was still running in the stand of bushes, I could hear it but the foliage was so think I couldn't get to it...and I wasn't about to splash around in the pool...
Ah... the Warm Springs slag mud spa. It was used as an exfoliant for the minors looking for smoother skin... just don't go into the cabin.

Hanta Virus awaits...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #43
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Uh-huh...no diapers, but nearly the same thing:

Can you say "Polish condom?" I know for sure that you'dn't have passed us up on several pee-breaks if we didn't need to take them...
When we needed to find Ron, we just followed the pee trail through the dirt. It was more accurate than his SPOT.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #44
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
When we needed to find Ron, we just followed the pee trail through the dirt. It was more accurate than his SPOT.

You could always tell a technical section was coming when the flow would stop.

I can't figure why the SPOT wasn't working the first part of day 1. I used the same batteries the whole time through and I didn't stop enough to fudge with it.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #45
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
You could always tell a technical section was coming when the flow would stop.

I can't figure why the SPOT wasn't working the first part of day 1. I used the same batteries the whole time through and I didn't stop enough to fudge with it.
You might've sent a "manual" OK signal to someone and then not reset the tracking mode.