Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #16
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBruyet
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm trying to stay away from the DOT knobbies because of my commuting. I guess I could do a knobby and drive my Subaru more. But then again I prefer riding the bike. But then again, if I went with knobbies, I'd be better off in the dirt. But then again, but then again, but then again. Sigh.

I will say this, the Karoo Traveler T looks interesting...

tmex, any issues with the 130 on the 606? Any of you others have any problems putting a narrower tire on the rear?

Thanks,

Joe B
No issues at all with the 130 size. The D606 is a very wide 130, and actually looks about the same on the bike as a 150.

BTW I am getting 3-4K miles out of a TKC80 when I use it 80/20 road/dirt and much less when 20/80 road/dirt.

Besides the F8, I own a GS12, an HP2, and a 650 Dakar, so I am always experimenting with tires. I have had very poor luck with the Karoo (all flavors). I had pretty much settled on the Mitas E09 rear and Pirelli MT21 up front, but I put a set of D606's on GF's Honda. She likes them so much I thought I would give them a try. We shall see.

tmex screwed with this post 10-07-2010 at 06:10 AM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
I ride TKC's and Commute everyday. My last set I got 10K out of the rear and about 16K out of the front. I'm curious to see when people are tossing their tires.
Here's a pic from my video on changing a rear tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZnqzLKfso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozpLOqbO2U
I've chewed through three rear TKCs in less than that. I'm getting about 4-5000 Kms out of each one. The fronts holding up OK though.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #18
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
18000 + KM on K60

If you ride both pavement and some off road...no other choice for us other than the Heidenau K60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over 18000 KM and we are just mounting our new sets this Saturday because our bikes are at the shop....convenient but they could go another couple of thousand if we really wanted to too!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,856
All I hear about the K60's is how long they last. I'm really not interested in riding on a rock on a motorcycle. I'd prefer something a little softer for grip/traction. I'll sacrifice getting a new tire a little more often...

That-said, I've never ridden them so I'm basically talking out of my ass.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
soph9
Bike Addict

you get mileage if you treat the tires well...you can air down off road and on road and have your "softer" ride...but all I can say from now experience...is they are not like riding on rocks even with the pressure up...all about what your priorities are....we want a DS tire that we do not have to change every 10000 km or less....we need tire that can also take us to work everyday...so...the K60 for us is the perfect match and we feel very confident with them on our bikes.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #21
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little
All I hear about the K60's is how long they last. I'm really not interested in riding on a rock on a motorcycle. I'd prefer something a little softer for grip/traction. I'll sacrifice getting a new tire a little more often...

That-said, I've never ridden them so I'm basically talking out of my ass.
In my opinion only the rear Heidenau is superior in grip to the TKC80 under nearly all conditions. I also think that the front and rear Heidenau are superior in grip on bitumen to the TKC80, including in the wet. The K60's last a long time (to be honest I don't think they will go that much longer than the Continentals for me ... YMMV) but they aren't all that "hard".

The rear is a great tyre, the front is a bit like a cross between a battlewing and a TKC80 or Dunlop 606. The front isn't that aggressive offroad and I would prefer a TKC80, but it is good on road and is very stable at high speeds. Its just a matter of priorities.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
In my opinion only the rear Heidenau is superior in grip to the TKC80 under nearly all conditions. I also think that the front and rear Heidenau are superior in grip on bitumen to the TKC80, including in the wet. The K60's last a long time (to be honest I don't think they will go that much longer than the Continentals for me ... YMMV) but they aren't all that "hard".

The rear is a great tyre, the front is a bit like a cross between a battlewing and a TKC80 or Dunlop 606. The front isn't that aggressive offroad and I would prefer a TKC80, but it is good on road and is very stable at high speeds. Its just a matter of priorities.
+1
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Thank you Griz ... and now the words of the famous (perhaps infamous, with his photos of Russian tottie ) Walter Colebatch of Siberia extreme fame ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602168 when asked about the K60's

"I can tell you now, Heidenau K60s or Mefo Super Explorers are very very good adventure tyres in my opinion ... the best all round tyres. They will give you 12,000- 15,000 km (tho I have heard of up to 25,000 km) of life, they are very good on bad asphalt and gravel roads. The combination of good wear and good performance on gravel is hard to beat.

For a more concentrated off road experience like Mongolia or proper off road riding when on a long trip, that's when I reckon the Michelin Desert is the business. For everything else, I am a fan of the Heidenau / Mefo stuff."
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
soph9
Bike Addict

Easily more than 18000KM

We just mounted new K60's and the dealer asked why we were changing them when there was so much tread left....mine had 18570 KM. We did it because the bikes were there but the service manager as well as others said on my bike I had at least another 4000KM left. Now that is a good investment!
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #25
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 640
I did like the TKC rear because I found it slid a lot but predictably on gravel. The Mitas E-09 is definitely more planted under the same circumstance. The Mitas is not as good on aspahlt, but I never really had a problem other than wet painted surfaces like crosswalks. I really like the Pirelli MT21 up front.

I went different this time and got a MCE Karoo in the rear. Quite the rock chucker, but it seems to be melting away fairly quick. About 2000 Km and about halfway gone.

zaner32 screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 06:43 PM
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #26
zanardi
zanardi

Oddometer: 15
TKC 80's

I have TKC 80's on my F800gs, and I've ridden about 5000km ( 3100miles )on 60/40 pavement/dirt, and the tires are holding up fine, with plenty of tread on them.. i'd recommend them for any type riding, they are stable on dirt, and on pavement at highway speeds even in pouring rain, felt safe and stable.

I have a friend with Heidenau K60's, and they are good tires too. IMO I would pick between these two, bases on availability and personal taste..

safe riding !

zanardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #27
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
+1 for the 140 Heidi. I was a little worried about not getting the 150, but I haven't had any problems with the ride on or off road. It's also cheaper, which is a bonus! The generally low reported mileage for the TKC put it off my list, though they look like they'd be great off road.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #28
JBruyet OP
Mountain chaser

Oddometer: 64
I just ordered the Heidenaus (140 rear) from John at Moto Amore. I was thinking about the TKCs but I've heard so many good things about the Heidies I decided to give them a shot. I'll let everyone know how they work for me back in the boonies.

Thanks,

Joe B
JBruyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #29
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,152
I'm seem to be a little late to the party, but Michelin T63's seem pretty well regarded - and are quite inexpensive. They look a lot like TKC80's tread wise, but are slightly more street oriented. However, I see you're about to experience the Heidenau mystique - hope you like 'em.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #30
soph9
Bike Addict

I have about 2000 KM on my new K60's and they look brand new...no mystique just awesome tires that enough of us have been able to trial and learn very quickly these tires last and are a great fit for the dual roadster...commuters, day trippers, cross country adventures....I think we will always have these on our bikes...for as long as we own a DS.