User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Mackinac76 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Power supply for Nuvi 550

I have a 2001 R1150GS that I plan to ride on the Lake Superior Circle Tour. I have a Nuvi 550 mounted on the bike that runs on its internal battery, but not the bike's electrical system. That needs to change as I plan on some long days and the Nuvi's battery is good for a few hours only. I'd like a source of 12VDC power that switches on and off with the bike's electrical system.

I've searched ADVrider for "gps power supply" that resulted in 17 hits. Most, however, either are too generic or just don't apply to my situation at all. There is reference to the "elusive power socket" on the front of the bike and I've searched but to no avail. For all I know, it's not even on the 2001 GS. Because the current draw is assumed to be small, I've been wondering about tapping into the bike's front parking light.

Any comments or direction will be appreciated!

Mackinac76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Army scope jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Here is all you need.

http://www.powerlet.com/

They can make a custom cord for the Nuvi with the BMW powerlet plug.
Army scope jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
goto ebay search hardwire nuvi 550.less than $20 to your door 15 minutes to run it to the bars/instruments. I have both the iphone and the nuvi done this way. The added advantage is I can also charge my bluetooth overnight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Nuvi-2200...item53e6a29843
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Randog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
There is a factroy plug directly under the the speedo with a cap on it thats straped to the sub frame with a tie strap. This is 12v switched but be careful its only about 5 amps because its on the Can Bus system. I think its for the addtion of the accessory outlet up on the dash. You probubly could buy the pigtail from BMW for about $50 bucks or you could just cut off the end and connect your new wires to it. I used it to power a Fuze Block I added or accessories. Note the power stays on for about 60 seconds after you turn off the ignithion.
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Mackinac76 OP
Adventurer

To Army scope jockey and Plane dr: Please accept my apologies for not being more clear. I ordered the power adapter cord with the Nuvi 550. What I need is a SOURCE of 12VDC power for the adapter. What physical location on the bike did you obtain power?

Randog: Thanks. I'll look more diligently for the factory plug under the speedo unit.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
I don't know where the powerlet plus is on earlier models. I like the hard wire myself fewer fiddly cords
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Randog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac76 View Post
To Army scope jockey and Plane dr: Please accept my apologies for not being more clear. I ordered the power adapter cord with the Nuvi 550. What I need is a SOURCE of 12VDC power for the adapter. What physical location on the bike did you obtain power?

Randog: Thanks. I'll look more diligently for the factory plug under the speedo unit.
Sorry did't see the year of your bike before, yours may be differant from my 2011. Dose yours even have CANBUS?
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Army scope jockey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Mine is wired straight to the battery.
Army scope jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,628
There are a few places to take power from.

You can wire an accessory socket straight from your battery.

You can run live wire from your accessory socket next to the starter motor up to your handle bars, you can ground it anywhere.

You can tap in to the parking light wire live and ground it any where.

You can get a Powerlet lead that goes in BMW socket next to starter motor that ends in a cigarette lighter recepticle. You can get a cigarette lighter male that ends in a mini USB (one penny on Amazon) then use your computer cord to charge.

On Colleen's 2001 I put two cigarette lighter females. One on the handlebar and one on the left frame up almost under the seat.

I wanted them on all the time, so I took then both from the OEM socket with a live wire and grounded them close by.

If you want it switched with the ignition you can test wires up by the headlight and see which ones come on.

Ideally you will want the GPS to stay on when you turn off the bike, otherwise it gives a false reading on various info like stop times and etc.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Jac-O
Nice place to visit...

Oddometer: 27
Garmin power adapter

My GARMIN POWDER ADAPTER died this year, after 2 years, for no reason. Also, its mini USB started plug to rust. And nobody carries spare 1 amp fuses (including Garmin...). You might be better off trying to use the Garmin cigarette lighter adapter instead of the hard wired GARMIN POWDER ADAPTER. If anything, it would be easier to replace /carry a spare for a long trip...YMMV
Jac-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinac76 View Post
I have a 2001 R1150GS that I plan to ride on the Lake Superior Circle Tour. I have a Nuvi 550 mounted on the bike that runs on its internal battery, but not the bike's electrical system. That needs to change as I plan on some long days and the Nuvi's battery is good for a few hours only. I'd like a source of 12VDC power that switches on and off with the bike's electrical system.

I've searched ADVrider for "gps power supply" that resulted in 17 hits. Most, however, either are too generic or just don't apply to my situation at all. There is reference to the "elusive power socket" on the front of the bike and I've searched but to no avail. For all I know, it's not even on the 2001 GS. Because the current draw is assumed to be small, I've been wondering about tapping into the bike's front parking light.

Any comments or direction will be appreciated!
Tuckers advice is sound.

However, your idea of using the parking light as a power source is simple and easy. The Nuvi power draw is minimal, so the extra amperage running through the parking light power wire is negligible. Since that wire is relatively lightweight, I would not recommend a splice unless you're really really good and experienced at doing splices. But if you're planning to use a Posi-Tap, well then that would be a quick and easy solution. Be aware that the ground wire for the Nuvi can be grounded anywhere. It doesn't have to be grounded to the lights.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Mackinac76 OP
Adventurer

I gave up looking for the elusive power plug that may not even have existed on my bike and connected the Garmin power supply directly to the parking light. Seems to be working fine and the parking light bulb was broken anyway.

Every day I'm getting a few steps closer to the Lake Superior Circle Tour......
Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,579
Yay!