Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #136
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny4744 View Post
These bring back memories thank you for the pictures... Used to work in west va and md that is a nice area. That pic of the gator at the gas station cracked me up, I've seen a ton of dilapidated vehicles in WVA with 'farm use' spray painted on the rear, lol.

Yeah Danny - The day I saw that Gator at the gas station I knew immediately it was a "Kodak" moment! It was one of the locals and "SHE" was very proud of her ride, and I was somewhat envious. I greeted her and told her I admired her ride. She loaded her groceries and took off down the road. I Love our lifestyle in these hills. And by the way good folk are always welcome back to enjoy our mountains! Let me know if you ever come by.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #137
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Excellent job Riff.
Thanks JAX - I love your location tag! How are every soakey thing down your way. I know what I hear on the news, but I know they never do it justice. I Don't want the drought we had at the end of last summer, but I believe if it stopped raining today and not rain again till late September our rivers and streams would still be running high at this point!

Hopping the Monsoon season is over soon.
Riff
Old 05-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #138
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

The weather ... you can say a lot of things about this spring season we've had this year, but that would be just whining about something we have no control over. You just have to take advantage when you get a break of any kind. Last Monday I went in search of an elusive, legendary piece of slab around twenty miles in length with some of the most spectacular views, and sweetest twisty road that can be found anywhere! I found it, and I was not disappointed! Smoke Hole Road!
From Cumberland you take 220 south to Keyser WV. Continue out of Keyser on 220 continue on the 972 bypass and pickup 50 west. Just past Claysville at the bottom of the mountain you pick up rt 93 to Scherr, Connecting with rt 42 south to Petersburg WV just west of town. Here I pick up rt 28/55/48 South. At around 7 you find the turn off; a bridge crossing the North Branch just a couple of miles south of Cabins, and the journey begins!

The first view you get from the other end of the bridge.

The turn off.

Looking North

Down stream looking south

The road of possibilities that lie ahead. I think the sign is the suggested speed ahead.

This is the road that lies ahead. Look carefully at the road surface itself! It is like this the whole way! Really! No Kidding! It looks like it may have been completely repaved over the last several years.

Let the JOY commence!
Since we've had all this rain around here everything is very green and the wild flowers abound everywhere you look.

You start climbing up in the Seneca Rocks Recreation area, passing through green tunnels lined with moss, green shrubs and trees. Pictures speak louder than words.

Close to the top and old farms begin to line the road .

Paintings by God! You start thinking to yourself, maybe just maybe this is what the Garden of Eden must have looked like.

Yeah that is a horse in the center of the pic

Probably the Home Farm!

The Summit!

With everything so green and growing some of the views have overgrown.

There are still some good views.

Ok Let's head down the mountain.

On the bottom, enjoyed coming down the road, I didn't take time to stop and smell the roses.

We are riding along side of the the South Branch.

Words like nice, beautiful, gorgeous... not good enough.

Is that My new cabin?

it has a nice view.

Catch and Release part of the stream. People fishing everywhere, and I caught a Keeper. this is definitely a trophy Mount!

further down the road

and around the bend

Eagle Rock

The End of All Things! Rt 220 just outside Upper Tract!

Highly Recommend Day Trip Time to head back

To Cumberland

Riff screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 09:03 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #139
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,966
I've got a few more roads like that for you next time you are in these parts.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #140
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I've got a few more roads like that for you next time you are in these parts.

Can't Wait Hillbilly! I've "Binged, and Googled" mapping of your area via the Sat images. I am looking forward to it. Think I'd go down to Seneca take 33 to 32 north to pick up 72 to "Red Creek" and run 72 all the way to Rowelsburg. Soon!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #141
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,291

Lovely roads
Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #142
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

Lovely roads

Hey Sig Does this inspire you to go [East] Green Yet? . I know I have been motivated into looking for the opportunities for me to come check out your sage brush!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #143
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Hey Sig Does this inspire you to go [East] Green Yet? . I know I have been motivated into looking for the opportunities for me to come check out your sage brush!
I'd love to get east/green. Time is everything, isn't it.

Would really like to do a civil war tour thing....
A tour through the New ENgland area/Maine is also a dream.

Oddly we're pretty green in general right now- one of the coldest/rainiest "springs" on record. Some of teh mountains still have 300% of normal snowpack. SOme of the best mountain roads may not open until mid June
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #144
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Would really like to do a civil war tour thing....
A tour through the New ENgland area/Maine is also a dream.

Oddly we're pretty green in general right now- one of the coldest/rainiest "springs" on record. Some of teh mountains still have 300% of normal snowpack. SOme of the best mountain roads may not open until mid June[/QUOTE]

The Civil War tour would be fantastic great idea actually. Places like Gettysburg, and Manassas [Bull Run] are gearing for the 150th year celebration programs and battle reenactments.

this spring has to be one of the wettest on record for the whole nation. I am calling it the monsoon season now. I am still having fun with WVHillBilly about the snow pack out where he lives in WV.

Hey Sig don't know where you live in that great state, but think of it this way if .... no, When that snow pack melts you may have beach front property! If you down in the low lands.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #145
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

A Honda CBR, a Harley, A Yamaha Virago, and a K1200R BMW ... Sounds like the beginning of a real funny story! But it is a good one. I was taking a group of the locals back to the "Smoke Hole Road". Just like every other time you come out of Romney WV west bound on rt 50. Go over the bridge just outside of town, and about three miles out side of town we come on the pawn shop and Sporting Goods Gun shop. This time we stop. Terry has been there quite a bit and Jim has been there a couple of times and John [the older gentleman] says he is related to them.

This is my first time there. I have ridden passed this store at least a hundred times, but not today. We go right into the "Pawn Shop" side and strike up conversation with a very nice lady! Noticning we had on all the offical "Poser" wear she said her husband and son just got back from Califonia on their bikes. There over in the gun store talking about the trip. That was all I needed to hear. { I have a real bad case of MAAMMS" Motorcycl Addiction And Motor Mouth Syndrome} . I took off for the other side of the store literally almost running. How much better can this be! You're in WV Appalachia heaven, at a gun store on motorcycles talking to guys who just got back from CA on their bikes. Oh Yeah here are the lovely ladies!

Here are the guys talking about their trip, and I'm listening and step into the conversation with a whole flood of questions, and they seemed to be able to tolerate my prattling pretty well. When Buck's wife walks over and says go head and show them. She could see the drool coming down the corner of my mouth. Buck graciously acquiesced to her prodding and told me and the boys to come over to the show room to see the other bikes, because the bikes they where riding where still in the back of the trailer.
This is what we walked into!

http://www.bucksindian.com/

Buck’s Indian Motocycle is home to the family restoration team of Buck, Steve, Justin, and Jared Rinker and their collection of vintage Indian motorcycles. Located off scenic Route 50 in Romney, West Virginia, Buck’s Indian Motocycle is less than 30 miles from Cumberland, Maryland and near the southbranch of the Potomac River.
Spreading across 3 generations, the Rinker team of Indian enthusiasts continue to build upon their collection and encourage you to check back often as we continue to update and grow the site!

Buck & Steve and NO this is not a Moto Guzzi !

Buck is an incredible man with a lot of great memories of rides and races and people he has met!

I caught my self acting like a teen age groupie listening to his favorite rock star he just accidentally bumped into in the middle of nowhere. If I could learn to keep my mouth shut long enough I could have been there a while listening to some great stories! Speaking of keeping my mouth shut ... pictures speak louder than words.

Of course I have to have my Picture taken with the boys!

Long day ... tired ... will edit and add more later. Did I say this was what we refer to around these parts as "Almost Heaven"?

more later ...

Riff screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 07:40 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #146
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I'd love to get east/green. Time is everything, isn't it.
Cool stuff. Old bike and firearms

FOUND SOME GREEN

Negro Bill Canyon just outside Moab last week (little creek at the bottom was full and fast)
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #147
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Cool stuff. Old bike and firearms

FOUND SOME GREEN

Negro Bill Canyon just outside Moab last week (little creek at the bottom was full and fast)

I am going to have to overcome my fear of heights and cross that Mississippi {at a low crossing } . All the scenes from the west, and stories are legendary. And "GREEN" even; who knew? All us east coasters ever here is the west and midwest is always sunny dry and brown!

The Gun show room was just a impressive as the bikes show room, old and new, large and small. How about a revolver that chambers a 45lc and a 410 with what looked like a 12 inch barrel?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #148
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,133
I wish you hadn't told everyone about my favorite road by the Smoke Hole Riff.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #149
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,966
Going to be in my hood this weekend Riff?
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #150
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I wish you hadn't told everyone about my favorite road by the Smoke Hole Riff.

My sincerest apologies "Goat", but I could not help myself the the devil made me do it. Having ridden it at least twice now, it was too much for me to resist the overwhelming pressure of the dark side of the force. the boys loved it to. We where a little confused about the road that lead back to the campground? Who paves the campground like a super slab, and makes the 6 mile stretch getting back to it a dirt Path? REally? Kira found it to be less than suitable. Again Sorry about outing it, but it was necessary! I haven't ridden the "Dragon's Tail" yet, but it can't be much better than this!