Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #166
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Calling it "the Dragon" would imply that it is a really challenging road to ride. It may be fun but there are much twistier and more challenging roads roads in the area. Those roads don't have the traffic, LEOs or silly names.... Except for one: 28 is a great road but the competing T shirt vendors can't decide whether to call it "moonshiner 28" or "Hellbender 28" I guess it will confuse the tourists
I've done the US 129 3 different times dating back to '95. Could you do a list of the other roads you're liking. I need a stash of them for the area so I don't have to hunt about on my next trip out there.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #167
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
!@#$@ $%^* (* Crud! I even went to bed early last night 1:00am.
Wish I would have know this sooner! .... I got a job thingy happening this morning! How long you gonna be in the area?
Wait a minute... tomorrow is SAT! YOU should be able to wing it ----

All the great teachers do.
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #168
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
Wait a minute... tomorrow is SAT! YOU should be able to wing it ----

All the great teachers do.

Thanks Wolf for guarding my back! Someday maybe ... ....
Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #169
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,493
OK, lets see pictures of the new bike. You didn't take the truck there for nothing.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #170
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
OK, lets see pictures of the new bike. You didn't take the truck there for nothing.

...Wolf almost had me there Hillbilly. I was looking at the GS 650, but decided against it right as I was about to pull the trigger, because of him. I thought he would be all up on my face about that! That bike was all tricked out with all the mods necessary for a screaming ride on the dirt roads.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #171
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

An LC4 makes a pretty good dual sport I hear.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #172
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
An LC4 makes a pretty good dual sport I hear.

SOLD ! Is this an offer? Name Your Price! Hopefully an offer I can't refuse? From the first time I saw a pic of The LC4 I was impressed. I've got several different models I've been drooling er I mean dreaming about!

Maybe You or the Wolf would be willing to make a tax free donation to the "Riff foundation for better Adventure Riding"! ?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #173
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Get offers on it every once in a while, but the $4K price tag seems too high for them I guess.
I would just need the money to replace it with another one anyway.

I thought about trading it when I got the SD, but the $1500 trade in offer was a bit of a joke.
I know what book value is, but I know how much I would miss the bike if I sold it.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #174
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,969
Nice reports!

Riff,

Nice photos & writeups! Feel free to contribute any WV reports to me at www.RidingWV.com I would be glad to include them.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #175
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Riff,

Nice photos & writeups! Feel free to contribute any WV reports to me at www.RidingWV.com I would be glad to include them.

Thanks PNOMAN I would be honored. Will send you some series along.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #176
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
:
Maybe You or the Wolf would be willing to make a tax free donation to the "Riff foundation for better Adventure Riding"! ?
Donations! I'm the only thrillybilly that rides a bmw and collects welfare checks. I decided to uses the goverment checks on something better than baby formula, cigs,& beer.

To Funny- Riff!
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #177
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
Donations! I'm the only thrillybilly that rides a bmw and collects welfare checks. I decided to uses the goverment checks on something better than baby formula, cigs,& beer.

To Funny- Riff!

Love it! Can't blame a man for trying! That makes Wolf a smarter than average billy, when he can use the Gov to get something good! SHHHHHH We won't tell no body that will be our secret! D'oh Someone was listening!? I think that WVHillbilly heeeeerd us!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #178
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I didn't hear a thing.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #179
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I've done the US 129 3 different times dating back to '95. Could you do a list of the other roads you're liking. I need a stash of them for the area so I don't have to hunt about on my next trip out there.
I've ridden Deals Gap a few hundred times starting in 1990. It used to be one of my favorite roads. It's still a great road but all the traffic and LEO presence has taken much of the fun out of it. I used to ride the area on a sport bike. I have since converted to dual sport bikes and I have grown to prefer the really tight, twisty, and often steep roads. Most street bike riders probably wouldn't like my new favorites. Many are best accessed by dirt roads and some are dirt roads. There are dozens of great roads and many more I have yet to find. I just discovered several new ones this past week. My latest ride report is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698669

I'm not going to post a list of my favorites but if you have specific questions I'll reply via PM

There's too many roads already named on T shirts.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #180
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Hey Klav... been following your post [haven't posted there yet] and love it. I will have a dual sport in the stable somewhere in the future. We have quite a few roads similar to those in your pics around here. A couple I would have sworn where a couple miles outside of Cumberland. WVHillbilly had me on one a couple of weeks back. I will do the BRP and the T-Shirt roads just so I can say I did them, but I am beginning to discover the vast resource we have in WV, Western MD, and North West - VA. Many of our roads are incredible. Check out some the threads from "PNOMAN" http://www.ridingwv.com/ . I would be very much interested in some of your fav's.
A couple Bikes I am drooling about are the KTM's, Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, BMW gs650 and I have had a strange affection for the Triumph Tiger ever since I've first started riding in 1972 in Italy on a 500 Triumph Trophy!

Honestly I'm happiest when I'm on two wheels heading down any road!