Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #211
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,295
AdvWolf and I got in a short ride today. Lots of dirt tho.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #212
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Hey WVHillBilly, and ADVWolf This here is the story of one of those days I was planing to make it out your way, and for what ever reason ..... . Well obviously I didn't make it. But I did have my cameras with me. It was one of those overcast days [like the so many we have had lately. Does anyone know when the Monsoon season ends? ].

I could not stand "Cabin Fever" anymore. I had my "Frog Togs" [BTW anyone recommend a good rain suit?], and I was going to make the trip no matter what, and WHAT is exactly what happened! Oh well I got some good shots. Mind you I do not even consider myself to be in the same league as PNOman, Prometheous, the Peach, or Signal; I just see something I like and try to capture the images that inspires me. I am a self taught student of Photography. I have read, researched, and talked to real photographers who almost all without exception love to share there expertise and the love for the Art of Photography. Many times I get fortunate enough to capture something nice, and it is a very gratifying to share, and see folks like and appreciate them. When you get to combine that with something else that is very meaningful to you; It becomes something profoundly ... spiritual to me. So enough of the rambling. Just want to say thanks to everyone who is enjoying my rides and enjoying my pics in and of The Mountains of the East. [I need to make some father trips though, there is a world of sights out there waiting for me.]

I start by stopping at another well known sight around the Cumberland area ... another restaurant: "Penn Alps". A very nice locally owned place moderate pricing, and pretty good food. No Chain place this, but a very comfortable casual dinning in what could be viewed as a semi formal ambiance. Appalachian - Nice Place

As the sign indicates there is an "Artisan's Village" next to the reataurant. A series of buildings built to represent period structures of the early 1800s. housing the fares of ... "Local Artisians".

I have a picture coming up that has some detail I did not catch until after I got home, but in this one I saw something that caught my mind and eyesight I thought described Irony.
Dan·de·li·on a weedy composite plant, Taraxacum officinale, having edible, deeply toothed or notched leaves, golden-yellow flowers, and rounded clusters of white, hairy seeds.
The scourge of most lawn lovers everywhere. Here in this picture and perhaps in history this display of the dreaded weed to me really brought some beauty into this picture and the pathway that lead to some pretty drab looking buildings. I'm just saying .... !

You can decide for youself! "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"! One man's weed is another man's rose garden!

In the midst of recovery the ghost of last years growth,Red pops up! She is Purddy!

When you get the close up you notice she is a real looker!

Parking Lot, Old Route 40, New Route 68!

The Cassellman Bridge I highlighted in one of my earlier posts is just on the west side of the village. The remnant of the original National Pkke the road west that passed through here in the early 1800s.

The overcast weather brought a lot of contrasts into the pictures! Route 495 out of Grantsville heading towards Deep Creek Lake also known as Bittinger Road.

Never ceases to amaze me that here in these mountains you have the surprisingly long straight aways, and the twisties [some very sharp] as well. Rider's paradise.

Hey Camo this anin't too far from "Coney". Remember?

This may not be the "Bible Belt", but you don't have to go very far down the road and not find the local little country Church. in a beautiful setting.

This is one of those pics I spoke of that I missed some detail until I saw it on the computer. Something indicative of the Appalachias.

Notice in the background the Family Grave Yard. With out closer investigation had to say how many generations back this family owned this farm land.

18.8 miles down the road and ...

Deep Creek Lake, MD

Like so many wonderful places like this, in MHO on the verge of over development; With sprawling LITTLe Lodges like these.

You see from the "date stamp" these are taken in early May. Although the landscape clearly indicates it was not that long ago it was the heart of WWWWWW Winter almost could not say it. But folks around here are getting ready for the onset of the Summer season. Boats back in the water. Rescued from their winter storage, where they were being protected from the previously Frozen Lake.

No ice now.

Some One is getting Antsy. She wants to get back out on the road again.

Back out Bittinger Road [495] towards Grantsville, Cross over 68.

East bound on Rt 40

heading back down the mountains to the low lands. Frostburg, MD in the distance.

Frostburg State University, with Maplehurst Country Club / Golf course in the back ground [very forgiving course. With my game I can play from two fareways on the same hole.]

It might have been a gloomy overcast day [ and yest it did rain ] but if you have the right perspective you can see the image of hope of better things ahead breaking in the skies.

Seven Days later just south in "Cabins WV" [ don't worry I won't say where roadgoat ]

For now it is time to get back to

CUMBERLAND!

Riff screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 10:06 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #213
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 465
Looks like some great riding up that way. I'm used to riding in the more southerly appalachians. My fiancee is from Frostburg, and is always trying to get me to go with her to visit her family. Maybe next time I'll have to consult with you guys first, and bring one of my bikes with me!
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #214
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplandscaping View Post
Looks like some great riding up that way. I'm used to riding in the more southerly appalachians. My fiancee is from Frostburg, and is always trying to get me to go with her to visit her family. Maybe next time I'll have to consult with you guys first, and bring one of my bikes with me!
Apland...
You will definitely need to bring at least one of your bikes. There are a lot of good rides, different and yet the same in some ways to what you're used to, but I believe you will find it enjoyable. You'll need to show you're fiance' these pictures. Yeah give me a shout when you come up this way and I'll map you out some places to hit, and or give you a tour. there are several ADVers within a fifty mile radius of me. So we might be able to do a mini run. Give us a shout

Riff
Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #215
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Wink

Riff,
I am working down in Frostburgh on M-T-W. I am planning on shuttling back and forth for three days unless someone has a better idea. May need some new tires by the time I am done. New ones are hopefully on there way.
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #216
CAMODUDE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
New Germany state park, nice shower house , tent or cabin .
CAMODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #217
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
Riff,
I am working down in Frostburgh on M-T-W. I am planning on shuttling back and forth for three days unless someone has a better idea. May need some new tires by the time I am done. New ones are hopefully on there way.

How tied up will you be on M,T, or W? Monday is the day I try to take off! As you know I do have some contacts!? Tires? Let me know.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #218
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMODUDE View Post
New Germany state park, nice shower house , tent or cabin .

Camo .... ! REALLY ? Coming out of Coney?! .... My wife prefers a Cabin! personally I still enjoy tents. Both their camp sites, and Cabins are a win. If you don't have or don't want to pack a lot of equipment The cabins are sweet, and compared to resorts are not that expensive.

I ride by there quite a good bit, but have not actually been there in quite a few years. But the last time there was a very nice park.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #219
CAMODUDE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
riff
did you make it to altoona today?
CAMODUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #220
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMODUDE View Post
riff
did you make it to altoona today?

12:05 am Monday! Long day, good day! another busier than usual weekend. Love what I do, but sacrifice my desires for other people a lot, especially family. Wanted to go to Rowlesburg, did go to Altoona, and did not get to go where I wanted, and was In the SUV! Kind of like the book "Tale of Two Cities". "It was the best of times it was the worst of times.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #221
edsollen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Honeymooned at Deep Creek lake 34 years ago. My wife and I stop at Penn Alps every chance we get! Yeah the same one I honeymooned with 34 years ago.
Castleman Hotel is good eatin' also.
edsollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #222
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsollen View Post
Honeymooned at Deep Creek lake 34 years ago. My wife and I stop at Penn Alps every chance we get! Yeah the same one I honeymooned with 34 years ago.
Castleman Hotel is good eatin' also.

You know it Ed. Penn Alps and the Castleman still as good as ever was, changed hands a couple of times, but still good. The wife and I make a date night and go to UNO's up at the lake and if a good movie showing go over to the Garrett 8 Cinemas .... and .... . It is a nice place. Sounds like you married above your head as well! Congratulations!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #223
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,788
As always, nice writeups and photos.

And thank you for the compliment.
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #224
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
ok, yawl convinced me. instead of riding the ga, nc,tenn mountains for the 4th week, i'm coming to WEST VA. actually turn around point will be fair haven state park, NY. i've high lighted my map roads in west va but i've not found anything yet in penn. i need a non interstate route between cumberland and elmira-binnghamton area. i pmed riff :)
Old 06-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #225
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
ok, yawl convinced me. instead of riding the ga, nc,tenn mountains for the 4th week, i'm coming to WEST VA. actually turn around point will be fair haven state park, NY. i've high lighted my map roads in west va but i've not found anything yet in penn. i need a non interstate route between cumberland and elmira-binnghamton area. i pmed riff :)

Hey Kite
Working on an iPad here while my desktop is going through a spy bot scan will be right with you got some suggestions for you