Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,857
I have a few pictures I could add to this when I get back to my computer.
If you don't mind.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabee
Awesome pics ! And that is my nieghborhood ! I camp around raystown and Ohiopyle every year , do some fishing , some riding , mostly getting out and about !

Yeah I've enjoyed tooling around up there. The scenery combine with the roads to make it one good ride. One of my trips I plan to take later this year is the PA "Grand Canyon" just north of you? I believe.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly
I have a few pictures I could add to this when I get back to my computer.
If you don't mind.
Sounds good Hill Billy. Put em up! It's all about the ride! BTW like I posted earlier the PC crowd says no more "Red Necks, Stump Jumper, Hill Billy" references it's "Appalachian Americans" now. The only thing I ask is keep em some what clean. I know how us Hill.... I mean Appalachian Americans r!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Those are Rt 72 in WV.
This is at a church near Shanksville, PA

And the Flight 93 memorial last year.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Great run HillBilly. Love that Bike. I mean this as a compliment , it resembles the new Ducati Multistrada. I did a quick google map on Rt 72 looks like it would be a great ride. I could tear up some turns out there!? Hey give some good places to ride out there and where the good stops would be where all the locals go. restaurants and the like. Any special must see places most folks don't know about? Drop some good pics and lines anytime.

Thanks
Riff
Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Outstanding all the way

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
LumpTheBeezu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Your photos are just beautiful! Really enjoyed the tour!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff
Great run HillBilly. Love that Bike. I mean this as a compliment , it resembles the new Ducati Multistrada. I did a quick google map on Rt 72 looks like it would be a great ride. I could tear up some turns out there!? Hey give some good places to ride out there and where the good stops would be where all the locals go. restaurants and the like. Any special must see places most folks don't know about? Drop some good pics and lines anytime.

Thanks
Riff
The south end is very slow, twisty just a little wider than one lane for most of the ride. This is the section from Parsons south. Beautiful area, but you are going to average about 25 mph due to the road.
If you are OK with that it is a great ride.
North of Parsons to where the road meets Rt7 near Kingwood is faster, just as scenic and most of it runs next to the Cheat River.
Also goes right by my house in Rowlesburg

Best eats? Hmmm, South end would be to stop in Davis at Hellbender Burritos, Sirianni's or Hanna Lee Station in Thomas.
There is a WWII museum in the old school in Rowlesburg if you are interested.
North end of 72 is near the regular fast food places in Kingwood or Monroe's http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe...72560511461207 for real food.

Rt 72 also crosses US 50 right between Laurel and Cheat mountains, both of those are very twisty and fun. The section of 72 from Parsons to Rowlesburg is patrolled by the Tucker Co sheriff and WV state police, Trust me on this

At the bottom of Laurel Mtn on US 50 is Cool Springs park, a gas stop/ tourist trap/so-so food selling establishment that is very popular in the summer.
Rt38 going from Rt72 to 250 is a nice chunk of road too, be cautious of the dairy farm and cow crossing. Poop on pavement is slippery.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #24
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Hi-jack continues.
I could start my own ride thread, but don't have enough pictures or trip report to warrant it. So I'll just add to this one.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #25
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

This is Limestone Mountain Road, going from US 50 to St George, WV.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Close Mountain Road, going from Horseshoe Run to the top of Sugarlands, near Rt 219.

And the overlook from Rt 219.

Not a bad little trip, the dirt section is fun. Would have been more fun if my tires were not worn out.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #27
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus rising
Outstanding all the way

Thanks Promethus I told the thread monitor, our web site is ..... plug in any accolade and it fits. I am contracting for the full program
Old 10-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #28
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpTheBeezu
Your photos are just beautiful! Really enjoyed the tour!

Thanks I Appreciate that. I have been inspired by a lot of the other threads and everyone's love of the ride. Jumped in with both feet with the thought of improving. I have been especially inspired by the Girls, the Ladies, the Ride Foxes that are a great group of contributors as well.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #29
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

[quote=WVhillbilly]Hi-jack continues.
I could start my own ride thread, but don't have enough pictures or trip report to warrant it. So I'll just add to this one.

Great Stuff Man. I posed the idea to the tread monitor, and well here is the quote he gave me.

"if it's in Ride Reports, it would be a violation of the rules.. we don't like others piling on to the original poster's thread as this always ends in a thread hijack, but you could ask inmates add a few pics to your thread, glad you enjoy the site "

To me this qualifies a s a few pics since I still have a boat load more and plan on taking more. I was thinking this would be a great idea for the thread. I thought it would seriously even make a great book for riders of all flavors. Short trip reports with pictures on from a motorcycle and all from the Appalachia's.

Anywho Keep them coming.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #30
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Housekeeping! I got a lot of pics from this years rides [so far]. The ride I took to Ohio Pyle [the second time this year] takes you past the Youghiogheny [the Yough locals make it sound like Youck!]. as we know it has been a dry summer..... well the pictures say it all.

Some one else proud of their ride.

This is up at "Ohio Pyle". Check the water lines on the rocks this gives more perspective when you consider what the guy in the middle of the falls is doing!

Still eye candy. God knows how to paint them!

Man knows how to capitalize on it!

But there are some things even man can't mess with like a mother and daughter Kodak Moment that too beautiful for words.

To get there we had to drive past the Yough! and It was a lot less damp than normal!

checking out the trees on the side of the bank and you see the normal water line. That's Rt 40 bridge looking west bound. Check out this next pic

My Riding partner. An Appalachian Fox! This area is not supposed to be beach front. She should be about fifteen feet under water normally.

This is the same view from the other direction me at the water looking back up at her.

That's not slowing some people down!

Time to head back to Cumberland for now!

More Later.

Riff

Riff screwed with this post 10-24-2010 at 01:09 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote