Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #31
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Fall is special in the Appalachia's in so many ways. Not only the fall colors, but a lot of the towns around have some form of Autumn Celebration; like Bedford PA Autumn Glory festival. Bedford is according to Google maps 31.6 miles taking 45 min. [yeah right!] . The color, the events and the people! Check this out.

Even though some folk look a little sedentary they have a lot of personality you can't help but Love.

Some of the rides where so ole skool the horse power was very limited.

The streets where full. Who is that gorgeous woman out of focus in the foregroud?

Even the river that runs through town had traffic.

vendor booths

The Appalachain Fox thought she had found some long lost Family. She does not like helmet hair stylin!

Historic county Court House

Local Musicians

Don't ask couldn't tell ya!

Well back to Cumberland for now.

Till Later. Got some interesting Pics from Deep Creek Lake In McHenry MD

Riff screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 09:40 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #32
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly
Close Mountain Road, going from Horseshoe Run to the top of Sugarlands, near Rt 219.Not a bad little trip, the dirt section is fun. Would have been more fun if my tires were not worn out.

Daaannnng Man between your bikes and the roads you get to ride on. No Wonder they call WV Almost Heaven, Cause if you are riding a motorycycle in the Great State of WV you are in heaven. LSHICB . You have some great machines there in your stable. Yeah looking at the rubber on the one bike could make things interesting! LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #33
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,899
Like to do some multi day rides, my LC4 is a little uncomfortable for longer rides. Not sure how to get luggage mounted on the SuperDuke.
Want a 990 Adventure sometime, not sure my wife is going to go for that soon after getting the SD.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #34
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly
Like to do some multi day rides, my LC4 is a little uncomfortable for longer rides. Not sure how to get luggage mounted on the SuperDuke.
Want a 990 Adventure sometime, not sure my wife is going to go for that soon after getting the SD.

I feel your pain. I just finished looking at "Motorcycle USA's" Adventure ride 2010 shootout. That would be a kind of ride that would benefit the both of us. I would love to have another bike personally; one especially that I could take off road if I want, but would still go tarmac as well. You need a bike that could do both as well. Here is our shared problem. Our wives probably won't see it as and esential item on our home budget . MS USA 2010 shootout was between DUC Multistrada, Triumph Tiger, and the BMW 1200
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #35
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,899
Want an Adventure, a BMW GS, and a KTM RC8. Then just need time to ride
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #36
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

I hear ya. They are definitely one of the top rides in there class. I've had a thing for Triumph since the second bike I ever had was a 500 Triumph Trophy some 38 years ago [yes I am OAD]. Even though I have an incredible ride, I'd love to have a Tiger 1050 SE as a second ride. Go figure. Yeah throw in a time machine and we've got something going here!

Riff screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 10:06 PM
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #37
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

As promised "Deep Creek Lake" in McHenry, MD.

The Lake is located on RT 219 about 13 miles from RT 68 near Grantsvlle, MD

Yes it is a very picturesque place

Again this is only about a one hour drive from downtown Cumberland and there are several ways to get there. There always seems to be a time where freeway riding is necessary. Not so in this case. From Cumberland there are at least three different secondary road trips you can take that are made for the great two wheeled machine! It is almost due west from Cumberland, but elevation is the key issue. In the winter it could be raining in Cumberland, but by the time you get to Keyser's Ridge it could be a white out and a foot of snow on the ground! I am editing this as I post. I am uploading some pics even as I post so I have to post and edit. More in a min.

Ok the fist thing we notice is that by the color of the trees it was at different times.

Despite the sun and the warmth of the picture colors it was a cool day.

there is a lot of beauty to be found everywhere this is an old stump just out of frame to the right from the last picture.

Again in the midst of death there is new life a blooming right in the middle of this old dying stump.

Finally back to the lake gorgeous

I'm thinking to myself I am da man. I'm not one of those sisy warm weather riders. I....... what's that sound out on the lake?

John McEnroe says it best "YOU ARE NOT SERIOUS"! Believe me when I say it was a chill day out there and here he comes on his jet ski on the lake! Wow now there is someone who takes his sport seriously. I got to take it up a notch.

Ok I'm heading back to Cumberland Now! Big bad motorcycle man...... Legend in my own mind !

Riff screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 11:30 PM
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #38
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,858
Great pics I did some riding in that area when I lived in Maryland in the mid 90's, but I don't think I fully appreciated the beauty of the area. Your pics make me want to go back. It's on my waaay too looooong bucket list!

Oh yeah, congrats on the 29 years

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #39
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Great pics I did some riding in that area when I lived in Maryland in the mid 90's, but I don't think I fully appreciated the beauty of the area. Your pics make me want to go back. It's on my waaay too looooong bucket list!

Oh yeah, congrats on the 29 years
Thanks Klaviator. It's only been the last couple years and my current bike that I've begun taking trips I use to only take in the car. It didn't take long for me to remember and realize again it really is not where we live geographically, but how we get there. The Great Two Wheeled Machine gives us a perspective other vehicles don't. I'm sure as a pilot you understand this as well as anyone. The sounds, smells, sights, people no wonder people who don't ride motorcycles don't understand.

Oh Yeah like most guys on this site I married way over my head. The Appalachian Fox is as smart as she is beautiful. Thank God for that to! LOL
The mountains will still be here when you get to that part of the Bucket . Let me know if you ever plan on coming through. I hook you up on the good stuff around the area.

Riff
Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #40
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
The mountains here on the East Coast are called the Appalachias and are actually older than the Rockies, and that is largley why they are smaller. Having said all that there are still some significantly beautiful vistas. If we couple that with the LOVE OF THE RIDE it creates a gestalt experience every time I take a ride.

+1 on that!

I grew up in the Rockies, living for the first 50 years of my life in various places in New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, and the past 34 years in Wyoming. When I first moved to Virginia I was in a serious funk about the loss of all the fabulous off-road riding that the West has to offer. I sold all the dirt bikes and kept my BMW GS and RT. After living here in central-west Virginia the past three years I haven't forgotten the thrill of dirt riding, but all these incredible roads around this region have certainly taken the sting out of it! We live in a rural area that is served by infinite miles of twisty roads that vary from asphalt to dirt and back, so the GS is the weapon of choice for me now and the RT has been sold. We're only about 15 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway, an awesome ride, but there are many many more highways to choose from in all directions. West Virginia is incredible... I still miss the dirt and sometimes lament not getting to ride the huge wide open spaces, but there is no doubt this region offers some of the finest roads I've ever been on.

If you ever decide to head West PM me and I'll return the favor and offer some ride ideas! Here's a teaser:

My wife and I were riding slowly through the Sunlight Basin north of Cody, Wyoming one day (she was a n00b and so we were taking it easy) when a guy on a K12GT came flying past us in the opposite direction, full lean through a fast right-hand sweeper, giving us the thumbs-up. We continued on and pretty soon he caught up to us again from behind, so we moved over and let him by. He gave us another big thumbs up as he wheelied past. Once we got past the view point and switch-backs above and were back on the sweepers on the way to the Beartooths, here came the guy on the K12GT again and this time he sat up and gave us the two-arm victory salute ! We laughed about that later and wondered how long he had been "trapped" going back and forth on that section of incredible road, maybe for days! I've done it myself a few times.

Thanks for the great report, ride ideas, and photos!

Doug

manfromthestix screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 09:48 AM
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #41
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,297
Great pictures Riff.
We did the Railroad tour a few years ago out of Cumberland, MD.
Very cool.
Iffin u make it up to Pittsburgh, hit me up, love to ride with some other inmates
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #42
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Thanks Doug

I feel more like a Cycle Junkie with every ride I take these days. The more I ride the more I want to, and I don't want to know if there a cure?! This is why I have become a junkie to this COMMUNITY. It is like I'm riding on the WWW if all but vicariously living in some one else thread. Threads like yours, the Peach, Banjo others especially those from the West Coast. The rides are phenomenal, and the pictures are from Ansel Adams portfolio. Don't get me wrong I could not have posted this thread in pretense, but I do hear the call of the wind! Go West OLE MAN Go West. I might have to call on you someday to guide me out west, but until then these here mountains have endless adventures, incredible places, grand historical heritage, and the People. It's always comes down to the people especially the folks I have been meeting on this ride down this thread. I have a friend up this way I will have to hook you up with. He was a pro dirt track man who one time held the national title in his class [not sure of the details], who now has his own shop here in Cumberland. I have no doubt the man on the K12GT you saw on that gorgeous mountain road was above my pay grade . I am not a pro "GoFaster"! I just like a good fun ride not holding up traffic. RE my pics!? Self taught and still learning every day, an old mountain [of the East ] man once told me no matter how old you get "As long as your still green your going to grow but start thinking your ripe and your going to start rotting"! Ya gotta love that ole mountain wisdom.

Later Gene
Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #43
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Thanks E-Man. There are several Rail tour groups around the Cumberland area that are even more extensive and ride further than the one in Cumberland, not saying the Cumberland run is not as good, but if Railroading is a hobby this area is chock full of a rail railroaders dreams. Don't be surprised if you get the call [no pun intended ] the riders here on ADVRider are a different class of riders that I would enjoy joining up with. May call you soon. I understand there is something know as the "Grand Canyon of Pa just north of you? I'd like to make that run in the Spring.

Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man
Great pictures Riff.
We did the Railroad tour a few years ago out of Cumberland, MD.
Very cool.
Iffin u make it up to Pittsburgh, hit me up, love to ride with some other inmates

Riff screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 11:22 PM
Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #44
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

If all works out I am taking Kira out for a good run tomorrow. Not sure which way yet, but I do know I am not going near the State Park Nature museum at Deep Creek Lake McHenry MD. There was a guy there who was getting a little to cozy with the Appalachian Fox for my comfort. I let you be the judge.

You know I don't see myself as being the possessive overly jealous type, but I think this might be over the top! She seems to be enjoying this way to much!

LSHICB

Actually the museum is a pretty nice display with a lot of good mounts, and information on the locals. As follows: Pictures self explanatory

One of Santa's retirees

This guy is know to be the forest smart guy and you might question that given his current status, but think about it. Eternal Youth?

I don't think I want to question the old adage "bark worse that his bite"!

Art! might make a good photo!

Not sure if he did not like his picture taken or what?

more art?

Hey! Indoor Snow Cool!

The Gorgeous Appalachian Fox

The Denim Covered Tree Leaning Bore DORK! [purt near extinct!]

Time to head back to Cumberland

Later.
I have got a few more pics from the rides from this past year, and then I am going to have to ride a lot more to get some more pictures. I know it's tough. But I got to do what I got to do! Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me on my first thread. I am not done with this thread yet. I've made a lot of good friends who like me loves the Great Two Wheeled Machine we call Motorcycle. 98.8% percent of all these pics come from a motorcycle ride with Kira. The Fox came a long on and ever increasing frequency and I love that! We are planing an over nighter soon. Has to be soon, or the snow will be a hindrance.
Thanks Again To All
Riff
Old 10-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #45
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff
Thanks Doug

I feel more like a Cycle Junkie with every ride I take these days. The more I ride the more I want to, and I don't want to know if there a cure?! .................................................. ............................. Don't get me wrong I could not have posted this thread in pretense, but I do hear the call of the wind! Go West OLE MAN Go West. I might have to call on you someday to guide me out west, but until then these here mountains have endless adventures, incredible places, grand historical heritage, and the People. It's always comes down to the people especially the folks I have been meeting on this ride down this thread.
Looks like you have the gene which makes you highly susceptable to being a motorcycle addict I've got the gene too. And you are right, the more you ride, the more addicted you become.

Like you, I've got a burning desire to ride out west. I lived in San Diego for a few years and have taken a few trips back out west but every time I read another western ride report, I wanna go back!

The only problem is that with limited time off, going west burns lots of time. I just did a few days of riding in the "mountains of the East" ...actually southeast, and it reminded me of how lucky I am to live near some great riding. That ride, as well as your RRs like yours, remind me of how much I haven't seen yet. It also reminded me that although we don't have the same majestic views of the west, there's plenty of beautiful scenery in the east.

My RR if you're interested is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630570

And last but not least, you mentioned people. I have found that motorcyclists are unmatched in their friendliness and zest for life. This forum has really helped me meet many of them.

Hope we have the chance to meet and ride some day. In the meantime, there's only one cure for our addiction.....lets

klaviator screwed with this post 10-29-2010 at 04:57 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote