Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #436
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,045
Went roaming again today.

Snake Rd to Location Rd.
First stop to stretch our legs, the LC4 ain't no Goldwng

I'll usually stop at a church for a break, as it's the only place around to pull over on these roads that isn't someone's driveway.

Around home here I can usually find some kin buried here. And some very old graves.
The inscription on this one is nice.

Dropped down into St George and then onto Parsons for gas.
We went on down the skinny part of Rt 72 South, and turned onto Jenningston Rd.
I was thru here last year and it is a nice ride, comes out near Laurel Fork on Rt 33.

This guy needs to mow his...uh roof.

After quite a few miles and no picture stops we had ridden thru Harmon, Canaan Valley, Davis and Thomas.
The high ground was very windy, windy enough to toss you around in the lane a lot.

After passing thru Thomas and being tailgated a few times on the two lane roads I dropped into Leadmine Run, that leads down into Horseshoe.
I've driven by this place for years, don't ever remember a house being on it so it has been gone a while.
Looks like it was a nice place, concrete stairs and basement, a few other poured concrete walks around the foundation.
Someone put a lot of work into it for sure.

They had a great view, and I'm betting a lot of quiet here 70-80 years ago.
We were there about 15 minutes and no cars went by at all.

Did I mention how awful the road is?

Looks terrible eh?

Recent additions to the scenery, it's a lot farther off than it looks.

The driveway is a little rough, but I could live with it.

The flowers are doing fine tho.

I don't think this fridge works now, but the plating sure is good on the nameplate.

From there we traveled down the creek to home.
I need to remember to mount the GoPro and let it do some picture taking for me.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #437
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Some one has to work today and finally it is not me. Riff the trip fell through in the last few day of use heading out. So bummed, 6 weeks of planning and I think the nice gentlemen sold the truck from under me. Anyway if you are interest in handing on some day trippin or you and shelly want to take a trip in the regional mts. I am in.

good day to ride Monday/ Tues?
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #438
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Some one has to work today and finally it is not me. Riff the trip fell through in the last few day of use heading out. So bummed, 6 weeks of planning and I think the nice gentlemen sold the truck from under me. Anyway if you are interest in handing on some day trippin or you and shelly want to take a trip in the regional mts. I am in.

good day to ride Monday/ Tues?

Hmmmm let me check my schedule, I know opportunity is in there somewhere!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #439
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Ok so it's taken a little [two weeks] to finish "A Tale of Two Churches". So let see if I can get this done. These pics all come from the same day and ride as I took from two weeks ago. I turn off 522 south to pick up 127 West and or North, and up in an area I always thought was Omps I found out is actually called "Bloomery" I passed by this church hundreds of times. A very pretty little church in a gorgeous country setting and never stoped to see.... Until now.

The sign alone alludes to it's history.

The setting is of course down right picturesque.

Obviously the congregation has meticulously taken care of and renovated the little church over the years. But it definitely has history!

The placard speaks of a "Civil War" engagement up and through this valley, and how members of this church fought and supported the Confederacy. If you need more evidence. :

and

From what I was told, after the War it cost the church dearly as the Union did not act kindly towards their preferences.

There are other markers that indicate the historical heritage of this church as members of this congregation participated in WWI that's right WW - One!

thanks to the photographer's mediocre skills the image is a little out of focus, but you can make out the solder was born in Feb 4, 1891 and died on March 5th 1918.
There a collection of other markers that spoke of a epidemic that swept through the community in the early thirties. Some of the most remarkable markers place the beginnings of the church back to the founding of our Country, and some ... well we can only speculate.

date unknown

I was told by two very nice young men [about my age ]
that there is an estimated 13 - 15 unmarked graves behind the church of Confederate soldiers.
These guys where very proud of their church. They where there the day doing some maitenance work around the guys and keeping a close eye on the motorcycle bum who had invaded their sacred grounds [me ].
Once I was able to earn their trust and convince them I came in peace, they wanted to make sure I got the full tour of their beloved church.

[gotta get my eyes check - lousy auto focus ]
But I was very excited, and happy. What I though was going to be a thirty min. stop and shoot turned into an hour and a half guide tour and fellowship. But it was worth it.

Beings as I am getting ancient and believe I have either gone cenile, or got "Some-timers" I am not a hundred percent sure about their names. Probably a good thing for them. But any way I conclude with these shots of this wonderful stop.

I was told the base on the bottom of the pulpit was added because of size differential of the Ministers back in the day as compared to today! About six inches higher I think.

The guys told me this was some of the original lighting!

This wall ran all the way around the perimeter of the church. My imagination runs wild with how it may have been used and for what purposes over the life of this frontier church.

Well this was the tale of two churches

Like I said earlier been through here hundreds of times and this is the first time I took a few moments to stop and catch something truly spectacular that we often taken for granted here in the Mountains of the East! The day is growing short and others are riding through. this is the view right in front of the church

Time to get back to Cumberland.

Riff screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:05 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #440
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I gots a smart camera, helps with the focus.
Because I don't have those skills.

What are you guys doing over this weekend?
I'll be in Grafton at some point.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #441
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I gots a smart camera, helps with the focus.
Because I don't have those skills.

What are you guys doing over this weekend?
I'll be in Grafton at some point.

That's what this thing is supposed to be, but as always the equipment is only as good as the person using it! As you notice in the pics you will see where the camera thought it would be a good idea to focus on! HOY!

Schedule tight! Very tight! Wiggle room may not be applicable here!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #442
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

My camera don't always focus on what I want it to either.
Still trying to figure out how to make it listen.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #443
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,297
enjoyed the gravestone stuff

, but interesting
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #444
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
enjoyed the gravestone stuff

, but interesting
Great to hear from ya Sig!

Yeah in some respects it seemed a little morbid, but from another perspective, it was a historical microcosm of a specific local in our neck of the world. So for me I found it extremely fascinating! [the funny part about this is some of my congregants refer to me as the "Grimm Preacher"; since I have done what by the evidence indicates is that per-capita I have done a lot of funerals over the last couple of years! yeah I got one weird sense of humor] Just cal me a "Moto-Anthropologist"!

We got history up in these har hills, that most of us home folk take for granted.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #445
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Great to hear from ya Sig! Co

We got history up in these har hills, that most of us home folk take for granted.
I don't see it as morbid- Much more as history. That is one thing I do love about the east. Utah has its share, but 200 yrs max
Old 05-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #446
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

I don't know about you, but I can easily take for granted and think the grass is so much greener ....... out your way ..... ! [maybe a little pun intended there]. We both have something special! I would love to come out your way. A lot of your images got me droooling! I lack two very important things; Time and Money!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #447
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
I don't see it as morbid- Much more as history. That is one thing I do love about the east. Utah has its share, but 200 yrs max
I was in Utah from September until the end of April, guess my employer wanted me gone before the high roads opened above Provo.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #448
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I've done a bit of riding, but nowhere new.
Have a few pictures from my phone, which doesn't have nearly the camera in it that my old phone had.

The Phillipi covered bridge.

From Rich Mtn road (I think)

And yesterday a meet up with this motley crew at Rella's

Raining pretty good here right now, so any miles I get in today will be dirt only.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #449
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,347
Nice Hillbilly. I recognize most of those bikes. Bunch of ungrateful bastards, off riding without me.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #450
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

We would have saved you pie, but it didn't survive.