User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Somber OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Trip to Mt. Scott and a stop in Meers

Hello fellow Advriders, this is my first attempt at a ride report, so I thought I would keep it simple and short. I enjoy visiting other places through all of your shared photos and descriptions, hopefully this might spur some other folks to ride out to Mt. Scott and take a look around.

I rode down from Oklahoma City on Sunday morning, quiet drive, some fresh cooler air finally after the long summer.

My first shot is on the way up Mt. Scott (just North of Lawton and Ft. Sill). The mountain overlooks a lake, a wildlife area, and a fairly sizeable wind farm of the new giant sized units you can see far in the distance. Here is a quick couple shots over the side toward the lake on the way up.

A bit farther along I noticed a spot with an interesting mix of colors and shapes and snapped these, the pictures don't do the bright yellow moss/lichen justice sadly, it was pretty vibrant for what is often a fairly muted color range in parts of Oklahoma:

Around the other side on the way up there were some nice views of the adjacent hills and rock faces:

and a bit farther around a view out into the wilderness area, no Bison in view in the pictures, but I spied some way off the road a few times while riding:

and a quick shot up toward the top:

And here are a few shots from up top:

The ride isn't at all challenging, but the weather was great, the traffic was nil, and the scenery was worth the trip I felt... There are some twisty back roads in the area if you search them out, so I had some fun on the way back home.

Thanks for looking...
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,680
Looks good, thanks for posting
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,669
I was stationed at Sheppard AFB from 1980-1984 and spent many weekends riding my motorcycle in that area. Did you stop in Meers for one of their giant hamburgers...?
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Somber OP
Gnarly Adventurer

sadly my trip to Meers was for not, it was jammed full of people so I decided to keep enjoying the day riding and catch a burger there some other day... I was going to post a pic from there until I realized they didn't turn out worth posting, but forgot to change the title before I submitted
Old 10-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I did the same ride a couple months ago. Couldn't get in the restaurant in Meers either, line all the way out the door. I've lived in OKC for 25 years and never knew we had a mountain in Oklahoma till work took me to Altus this summer an a couple people told me about it. I ate at a restaurant in Medicine Park. That is an interesting little town, did you see it? It was a nice ride!
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Somber OP
Gnarly Adventurer

if I've been to Medicine Park, I didn't know it... I'm pretty sure I didn't go through it on this trip, I'll make a point of going that way next time I'm down in the area