User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Willwilkins OP
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Snowy Mountain in Oz summer

It was a pretty promising start after a week of bad weather. At the crack of 10am Saturday morning Ben and I met under the golden arches in Mittagong. Him on a standard 1200GS and me on my farkled DR650.

We headed out on every Sydney ADVer’s favourite road down toward Wombeyan Caves

After crossing the river we headed on straight past the caves towards Taralga

As we headed west towards Crookwell the wind really picked up with some powerful gusts. The Bimmer sat solid on the road as I got blown all over the place on the DR. We got a bit lost heading on (does anyone make a decent map in Australia!!!!!) which resulted in a 40Km run on the Hume Highway into Yass.
The weather turned bad as we pushed on through Wee Jasper down to Tumut. We missed all the great country through there as it was covered in cloud, drizzle and fog. We slithered around on the greasy mud but were doing better than a bloke coming the other way on another DR – He had a rear wheel slow puncture but had to keep on going.
The Royal Hotel in Tumut was the chosen rest for the night and after settling in to our delightful (?) $30 rooms we headed off for a bit of a pub crawl.
In the morning our heads were as thick & cloudy as the weather. After a late start and a big fry up we headed south in the drizzle for the first stop at Blowering Dam.

The plan was to go south to Kiandra then turn west and go round Elliott Way through Khancoban to Jindabyne. As we rode, we saw dirt track that according to the map would cut the corner off and add a bit of fun. Ben prepared himself for the challenge and off we went.

I powered off down the track as Ben slithered around on his road tyres in the slime

Once he adjusted the pre-load to make the rear softer the big GS soaked up the bumps rather than bucking him off. His confidence grew and he did a pretty good job of keeping up. We stopped off to admire the scenery

and then met the river we’d been admiring along the way where we discovered a bit of a snag

The only possible way to cross was to ride or push the bikes through. Before I could say “Ewan and Charlie” Ben had stripped off to his jocks to check out the depth and surface of the river bottom.

Due to the recent rain, the level was high, the current reasonable and the surface was soccer ball size rocks. We thought about waiting for a 6 wheel drive Russian truck to come through but then back in the real world, turn the bikes round and rode back out again.
This side trip had used up a fair amount of time so we changed our plan and headed straight to Jindabyne on the main road. Those fast sweeping bend through there are real GS country and the DR huffed and puffed to keep up. At 1590 metres altitude in the drizzle wearing summer gloves, I decided that the Ballards heated grips I fitted last year were the best $50 I’ve ever spent!
The next morning the weather looked a little more cheerful but it was still pretty bloody cold for summer. As we headed west towards Thredbo ski resort

(we did Elliotts Way in clockwise direction) I glanced up at the pockets of snow that still remained on the mountains and thought fondly of my winter gloves and jacket liner sitting on the shelf at home. I had to wear my wets all day regardless of the rain or not just to try and keep warm.
The road dried out and we began to crank up the speed a bit. I felt like a hero here but it would appear that I am more like a postie doing an express delivery

Then we took a detour up to a lookout but again had to turn back

As we headed on, the scenery and riding were simply fantastic

We stopped at one of the big dams

Checking our tyres I could see why that GS just kept getting away from me. I thought my 3mm wide "chicken strips" were pretty good but the GS was a "chicken strip" free zone!!

We had a surreal moment when we suddenly came across this huge carpark in the middle of nowhere but Ben worked out it was for the Selwyn Ski fields where he’d brought the kids 6 months before to learn to ski!

Now back round at Adaminaby (if you want to meet the most miserable person in the world, fill up with petrol on the northern end of town) it was time to head home.
We turned towards Canberra via Shannons Flat and Boboyan Raod (a great shortcut). Up past Queanbeyan, Bungendore, Tarago and through to Nerriga via Oallen Ford which we couldn’t resist riding through. Ben kind of paddled through and apart from very wet feet did a good job of it

I however went a bit more gung-ho and very nearly lost it as I was bounced between the rocks that lay beneath the water

This 600km day finished at Ben’s weekender out the back of Nowra. He pushed off early the next morning for work and I had a more leisurely start to the day. Over breakfast I read about Nick Sanders doing his record breaking round the world trip. I glanced over at the dusty DR all loaded up and ready to go and thought “this is just the beginning......”

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk

Willwilkins screwed with this post 12-16-2008 at 03:21 AM
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Nice start

Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
jussimh
n00b

Oddometer: 5
And nice road.. More picture please and raport please.
jussimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
andrew x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thumb

pretty , but small pictures
andrew x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
rowdy_im
KTM 625 Snowy Mountains

Oddometer: 378
done well guys looks great

makes me remember why I like living down here so much

Rowdy
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
BilBLAT
Pom on a bomb ...

Oddometer: 39
Thumb Will and water ...

I however went a bit more gung-ho and very nearly lost it as I was bounced between the rocks that lay beneath the water

[/QUOTE]

Great ride report, amigo. Finally.

No maps/route then ?

And what is it with you and water ... ?

[IMG][/IMG]

"Faaaaaaar-kin Hell, Man"
BilBLAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Wow, great ride report! Thanks!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
gms5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Well done

Great report guys, thanks.

Yes, beware all of that miserable so & so at the BP at Adaminaby, I had a run in with him last xmas. He is a trouble maker to be avoided.
gms5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 AM   #9
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,385
your gonna get wet
Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Great RR. Yes I am late but I go through the RR every now and then.
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #11
Willwilkins OP
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy60 View Post
Great RR. Yes I am late but I go through the RR every now and then.
Thanks!

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote