User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
48 state trip

Hello fellow adv riders. I am a long time lurker, first time poster.

I am planning to do a 48 state trip across the US, in 2 months, on my 2006 R1200GSA. I am still working on the route and was hoping you guys could give me some input on stuff to see and must ride roads.

General route - I will be starting in Seattle, WA and heading east to Washington DC. From there I plan to ride north to Boston, south to Florida and west from Florida to finish off the rest of the states. Since the weather in the northern states at this time of year is not in my favor, I am planning to spend the majority of time in the southern states.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
nicrotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
So are you doing this trip starting in 2 months (i.e., in January), or is the length of the trip 2 months? It sounds like you will be starting in January. That means you will have extremely cold and snowy weather in the northern states. Not that it can't be done, but travel through those areas in January-February would not be at the top of my fun list. Especially because the fun-to ride roads tend to be through the snowier colder mountain ranges.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut
So are you doing this trip starting in 2 months (i.e., in January), or is the length of the trip 2 months? It sounds like you will be starting in January. That means you will have extremely cold and snowy weather in the northern states. Not that it can't be done, but travel through those areas in January-February would not be at the top of my fun list. Especially because the fun-to ride roads tend to be through the snowier colder mountain ranges.
Sorry, rereading that I realized that I wasn't clear. I am planning to leave in the next 1-2 weeks. 2 months is the length of the trip.

I agree that even leaving now the northern states will be very cold and that I would probably have more fun doing the same trip during the summer. Unfortunately that is not an option for me, so I have to stick by my original mid-October departure date.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,555
Sounds like fun to me!!!....I'm in!!

You autta meet up with ShooterDave...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565350

He's heading in your direction right now...TODAY...and has been on the road for 6 months now. He'd be a great resource for traveling around the country these days. Give him a PM!!

Good Luck & GodSpeed!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Hustler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Just out of interest, from a Brit currrently living in la belle France, how many miles are we talking about here to cover all 48 ?
Is there a recognised minimum mileage that it can be done in ?
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Thanks Patrick! I sent him a PM and dropped him a note on his thread.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrotank
Sorry, rereading that I realized that I wasn't clear. I am planning to leave in the next 1-2 weeks. 2 months is the length of the trip.

I agree that even leaving now the northern states will be very cold and that I would probably have more fun doing the same trip during the summer. Unfortunately that is not an option for me, so I have to stick by my original mid-October departure date.
Okay! I assume that you'll have warm gear (electrics?) for the certain rain and snow that you'll be encountering.

My SO and I have done a couple of cross-country trips; one was mostly through the southern states and back through the mid-west; and the most recent was through the mid-west, up the Atlantic coast, into the northeast US, and then back. That trip was almost 8800 miles. I'm the trip planner, so I study maps and try to route us on the secondary roads, avoiding interstates whenever possible.

I'll just throw out some of the obvious things to see/routes to take:
-Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier -- although parts of these parks are closed starting in October/November.
-The Mount Rushmore area and Custer Park in South Dakota.
-Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, but it may be closed when you get there (high altitude).
-Blue Ridge Parkway.
-Everglades Park and the Florida Keys.

If you want a lot more detail on routes or suggestions, feel free to PM me. I don't want to yammer on and on about routes unless asked specifically about them.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Just out of interest, from a Brit currrently living in la belle France, how many miles are we talking about here to cover all 48 ?
I don't think there is a recognized minimum... various routes have been proposed.

A while back I came up with a route of a bit over 7000 miles to cover the 48 states. That was almost entirely interstate and was designed to minimize driving time, and not necessarily the shortest route. My route was also not a loop. It started near the east coast and ended in the midwest.

For a two-month trip, a much less efficient route could be planned to maximize travel enjoyment. The OP will probably travel 10,000 miles or more.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut
Okay! I assume that you'll have warm gear (electrics?) for the certain rain and snow that you'll be encountering.
No electrics, aside from heated grips. I hope that quality gear (read: waterproof/windproof) will suffice.

Quote:
If you want a lot more detail on routes or suggestions, feel free to PM me. I don't want to yammer on and on about routes unless asked specifically about them.
Yes please! PM sent.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Not sure what the minimum is... I am planning to avoid interstate whenever possible (I despise slab) and estimate that my total miles will be in the 15000-20000 range.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #11
Hustler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrotank
Not sure what the minimum is... I am planning to avoid interstate whenever possible (I despise slab) and estimate that my total miles will be in the 15000-20000 range.
So something over 2,000 miles a week (ish) which is 300 miles a day.
It's enough.
Enjoy, and thanks for your reply as well Jamie Z.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 467
Do not leave on this trip without buying at least an electric vest. A full jacket liner is even better. BTW by December the BRP could be closed for a few days at a time due to snow around the Asheville area. And except for Peaks of Otter lodge, all the services will be closed by late October. Bring your own toilet paper.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Ride reports will go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633343
Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #14
gdspdblkdemperor
Captain Bavaria

Oddometer: 590
I can give you some good routes through the southern states, depending on how far south you stay. Look me up and shoot a PM my way when you're close to AZ. I'm in Phoenix, and I've done somewhere around 14 cross-country rides here in the continental US. I'm also a BMW mechanic should you need any work done on your bike. Spare beds, a garage, and good company also available. I'm 21, so I hope you don't mind being hosted by a youngster.

EDIT: I also have a place in PA that you'd be more than welcome to stay/camp at should you need it. My family owns a farm in York, PA. Mom & her boyfriend are both BMW riders, ADV friendly. I've got a lot of contacts across the states too, so if you ever get in a bind somewhere give me a call. I'll PM you my number.

Ride safe, amigo.
-Chris
Go Fast: ZenMoto
Trans-Am Cycle Sales

gdspdblkdemperor screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 11:39 PM
gdspdblkdemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
nicrotank OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdspdblkdemperor
I can give you some good routes through the southern states, depending on how far south you stay. Look me up and shoot a PM my way when you're close to AZ. I'm in Phoenix, and I've done somewhere around 14 cross-country rides here in the continental US. I'm also a BMW mechanic should you need any work done on your bike. Spare beds, a garage, and good company also available. I'm 21, so I hope you don't mind being hosted by a youngster.

EDIT: I also have a place in PA that you'd be more than welcome to stay/camp at should you need it. My family owns a farm in York, PA. Mom & her boyfriend are both BMW riders, ADV friendly. I've got a lot of contacts across the states too, so if you ever get in a bind somewhere give me a call. I'll PM you my number.

Ride safe, amigo.
-Chris
Thanks for the info Chris! I will definitely keep you in mind as I get closer to Phoenix, AZ. :)