Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #421
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Fun looking at your pictures and reading your remarks. I'm really happy to see people enjoy this ride. It has a lot of nice features with great riding, history, and tourism. I'm glad you got to experience it and I share your enthusiasm! I hope more people get out and give it a run.
Thanks again Cannon! Cheers

ďI havenít been everywhere, but itís on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #422
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Fun looking at your pictures and reading your remarks. I'm really happy to see people enjoy this ride. It has a lot of nice features with great riding, history, and tourism. I'm glad you got to experience it and I share your enthusiasm! I hope more people get out and give it a run.
I highly recommend it. I've been up there twice now and still have a little more left to do (south of Wakefield to Red River)! Looking forward doing the other parts again! It was some really fun riding, like nothing we have around Madison. I spent more time reading through this thread this second time so I'd be more prepared for being aware of the history. Lots of non-pavement stuff and also some really fun paved sections. Having spent so much of my earlier riding on sportbikes riding like an idiot, I really was missing out on the fun of getting off the pavement! The worst parts of my rides now are the paved sections between the dirt, gravel and sand (a little sand but I'm gaining some confidence).
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #423
PB gadget
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Just finished Cannon's custom UP

Cannon thanks again for the great route. Planning on doing your badlands trip in September.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=ftXQPTIpi7g
PB gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #424
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB gadget View Post
Cannon thanks again for the great route. Planning on doing your badlands trip in September.

Great job on the video! Makes me want to go right back and do it again!
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #425
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB gadget View Post

I'm glad that custom variation of the UPAT served you well! There is so much great riding, scenery, and interesting stuff on the UPAT. It is really great to see more people get to enjoy it.

And thanks for the nice remark at the end of the video. Appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #426
BubbaMcCranky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi Cannon.

My brother and I just got back from the four-day big bike route you put together for us. Had a fantastic time. Thanks so much for putting this together and for your help. Though the whole tip was fun, the Kewenaw Peninsula was just awesome. If anybody else needs to do a truncated route, I highly suggest that you don't miss that part.

Hope to be back next summer.
BubbaMcCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #427
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMcCranky View Post
Hi Cannon.

My brother and I just got back from the four-day big bike route you put together for us. Had a fantastic time. Thanks so much for putting this together and for your help. Though the whole tip was fun, the Kewenaw Peninsula was just awesome. If anybody else needs to do a truncated route, I highly suggest that you don't miss that part.

Hope to be back next summer.
I'm glad the custom route served you well and that you had a great ride!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #428
QueLastima
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 6
ORV License

Hi Cannonshot, I've spent the last few days immersed in your ride report and wealth of information you provide. Had to be a ton of work, but it sure looks like a lot of riders have and will benefit from it. THANK YOU!!!

I'm planning a trip to do the Western half with 2-3 buddies for the second week of October. I have a couple questions:

1. I did some digging and found the following in The Handbook of Michigan Off-Road Vehicle Laws...
An ORV license is not required for street-licensed vehicles used on the frozen surface of public waters or designated ORV routes.

Are there sections of the route that are not ORV and thus require the license?

2. I know the weather can be unpredictable up there. We all have decent riding and camping gear - any thoughts about the weather or trail conditions in early October?

Thanks again
QueLastima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #429
MIRider99
old butt new

Oddometer: 42
Q, you won't need an orv permit unless you end on a marked orv trail, but for $16 it may help keep you from being stopped and questioned by the DNR on certains sections of 2-track. As for the weather early Oct should be very nice, 50's & 60's and the colors will be peaking, trails and roads should be good, not dusty.

07 950SE
05 CRF450
06 YZ250F
03 YZ125
96 VN800, VROC Member #99
Ironbutt-SaddleSore, BunBurner, & BunBurner Gold
MIRider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #430
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueLastima View Post
Hi Cannonshot, I've spent the last few days immersed in your ride report and wealth of information you provide. Had to be a ton of work, but it sure looks like a lot of riders have and will benefit from it. THANK YOU!!!

I'm planning a trip to do the Western half with 2-3 buddies for the second week of October. I have a couple questions:

1. I did some digging and found the following in The Handbook of Michigan Off-Road Vehicle Laws...
An ORV license is not required for street-licensed vehicles used on the frozen surface of public waters or designated ORV routes.

2. I know the weather can be unpredictable up there. We all have decent riding and camping gear - any thoughts about the weather or trail conditions in early October?

Thanks again
1. I read that to say there are certain designated ORV routes that do not require an ORV license, but most do. We bought the stickers when we went in June and never encountered anyone that seemed to care whether we had them or not. Hopefully, the money goes towards keeping such great trails open!

2. One of our group (Zaboo65) went the year before in late October and had to head home early when winter came a little sooner than he had hoped...but it should be fine the second week

3. Have fun!!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #431
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:

Thanks again
On the west side there are some ORV routes that do not require a sticker. I do have some options for smaller bikes on the UPAT that run onto single track that does require a sticker. Best to order one on-line ($16.25) as it helps support the trails and eliminates any questions along the way. You'll have it in less than a week.

Sounds like the weather/climate questions have already been covered.

Hope you have a great trip!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #432
QueLastima
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 6
Thanks to everyone for the help, and we will definitely purchase the ORV licenses.

In The Muck - I see you are down here in the Madison area. Would love to hook up for a ride sometime if you are interested.
QueLastima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #433
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the help, and we will definitely purchase the ORV licenses.

In The Muck - I see you are down here in the Madison area. Would love to hook up for a ride sometime if you are interested.
PM sent

Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #434
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
License verses ORV Sticker

Guys while I have yet to find a dual sport that fits my needs and as such I have yet to attempt this route I can help with the "Plated vehicle verses ORV Sticker" question.

As many of you have already pointed out, you only need an ORV sticker when you are actually riding on a ORV trail. But as Cannon Shot has pointed out, sometimes that's hard to know. We do have trails for wide vehicles (like Jeeps & side by sides). And while it's true that in the U.P. most DNR officers won't care, if you catch one having a bad day ~ then you will have a bad day too. It's best to be safe than sorry. And "Yes", most of the $16.25 goes towards keeping and maintaining the trails, but we are talking about a government program ... so who knows for sure.

Also note that you do not have to order one in advance, an ORV sticker can be purchased at any business that sells hunting or fishing licenses. The pre-printed ones that you get when you order in advance are nicer in quality, but the "same day" printed ones are just as legal. So if you do not have the time to order in advance, stop by any sporting goods store or Meijers / Wal-Mart and you can buy one "right now".

Just for reference, if you see anyone of these little orange triangles on a post or stapled to a tree right next to the route that you are on, then you should have a ORV sticker.

zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #435
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Except and ORV route... If your street legal then you do not have to have a ORV sticker on a route. The rest are correct.
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote