Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 AM   #31
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Easy Tami, easy.

My only question is WILL THEY GET MUNNED???????

Probably!

WoodsChick

Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #32
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportakus
Great trip

Great friends

And Great pics

Thanks...
Hope you enjoy. Thanks for following along in spite of my marginal (and SLOW) RR skills!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #33
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Easy Tami, easy.

My only question is WILL THEY GET MUNNED???????
Hey Stuart...just wait until the next RR installment!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #34
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

From here we are about 25 miles from meeting the chase truck for lunch but the pace slows a lot as we move from 5th gear flowing roads in the Lost Forest to tighter two track with rock outcropping rim bending surprises around every corner. Almost every time we stopped the conversation was about the “one I barely missed.”

Chris and Lee.

The Orange Super Hero.

Pat

Christian

RTR

Rob Y

Big G

This is where Lono learned how to soften his front clickers!

Bad Cowboy

This is officially the middle of nowhere. Last time I was here a couple F-15 were practicing just off the deck. They were so close I could see the pilots!

And we come up on our only water crossing. I was actually surprised there was water this late in the year. Enjoy the photo dump. Lots of pics. There’s just something about boys and mud puddles.

Water felt goooood. We blaze on to Gap Ranch. A couple pics coming down into Gap Ranch.

Lunch break.

Up Next: I get a radio call, “Greg, you might want to come back here. Both of Mike’s feet are not pointing in the same direction.”
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #35
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

The sun felt good and we had time to dry out our jerseys…but it was time to roll. Still had 100 plus miles to cover before the end of the day. We arrived for lunch at about 11:30 and had plenty of time to make the run to Diamond well before dinner, at least that was the PLAN…after all, I’ve done the same stretch with teenage boys in 4.5 hours.

But every good plan has to have contingencies.

The roads south out of Gap Ranch are pretty smooth and fast, for the most part. This sometimes can lure you into a false sense of security, especially when making those high speed corners. I rounded one such a corner first that followed a long fast straight away. Contingency #1. Radio blips a few minutes later, “Mike is down, went wide and blew out a fast corner. He’s okay but will be a few minutes to shake it off.”

Then a few miles later. Use of contingency #2. First flat of the trip on Chris’ bike. Emphasis on first!

We couldn’t quite figure out what caused it. Looked like some sort of heavy abrasion or excess torque. Couldn’t tell. So we threw another one in and called it good.

Shot of Lee and the direction we are heading.

From here the route gets a bit rocky. Nothing difficult but enough to keep you paying attention.

I’m the first to roll up onto a watering hole in the middle of nowhere (which is not unusual) except there was a guy parked there in a Jeep Liberty. I putt past him and wave and wonder what he is doing out here (I’m sure he was thinking the same) and wait at the corner for the next guy to wave me on.

We proceed to meander a few miles down the trail and I hear this on the radio, “Greg, Mike is down. You might want to come back.” So we head back.

Apparently, right where we passed Jeep guy there was a large rock hidden by a sage bush. When Mike passed the Jeep (in 1st or second gear) he glanced off the rock at the same time he looked to acknowledge Jeep guy. This pitched the front of the bike to the left and the right side hit the ground. With very little momentum this normally would have been nothing more than a slow moving tip over. But, as best we can determine, the front of Mike’s right foot dug into the ground and the forward momentum simply turned his foot to the right, out and around. Just describing it makes me want to

When I arrived he was standing next to his bike, with his right foot pointed at about a 45 degree angle outward. Yikes!

Contingency #3.

We have several options, including just leaving Mike in the bush for the coyotes but he decides he can carefully ride out to the highway which is about 6 miles. We get Jim on the horn and he doubles back in the chase truck to meet us where the route crosses the highway.

Here are a few pics of the posse riding Mike out. Notice his right foot on the second pic!

Arrived at the highway we wait for Jim and the truck. Mike, as usual, is in good spirits. This is NOT his first rodeo!

Jim and Mike are off to Burns to have his leg looked at and if everything goes well will meet us in Diamond tonight.

All of a sudden we’ve lost a fair amount of time with use of contingencies 1-3. Time to get scootin’!

Up next, MORE contingencies, beautiful scenery and wild horses…

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #36
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

The first time I had been through this area was last summer. Looking at the maps I had assumed the area was relatively flat (and boring) but was I wrong. The terrain varied from deep canyon washes to high plains. Just spectacular. Especially in September.

The road/track/trail itself varied from high speed desert two track swapping back and forth to puckering up the seat and grab the binders quickly because of the huge outcropping that magically appeared just feet ahead…and everything in between.

Here’s one of those areas. I’m standing at the top of a hill looking down. Doesn’t look like much from here but is very chunky and has a few big boulders that if taken too fast (like I did) it will throw you around like a rag doll (which it did). Forward momentum bounced me to the top and laid me out fortunately with no damage other than a tweaked barkbuster. Note to self: go slower through there next time.

Here comes Christian. He took the opposite tactic – go faster! Why get bogged down in the troughs. He just sort of skimmed his way over the top of the mess.

Think Lono flamed out his scoot here but eventually got er going.

Gordon gittin er done.

And Bad Cowboy soaking of the mess on the big XR.

In the meantime, back at the ranch, we are well into Contingency #4. Chris’ bike has another rear flat. What? On closer inspection we find some of the sidewall exposed on the inside of the tire causing the tube to fail. They come up with a great idea to split an old tube down the middle and use it as liner of sorts to protect the tube. Great idea and it worked!

Posers?

In the distance.

Continuing on we ride this very cool and fun canyon cut by drainage thousands of years prior. Here we are coming out of it.

I arrive on top of the ridge that overlooks Harney Lake and wait for the next rider to flag me on. Looking back to the west at the dust entrails. It’s getting late in the day…

The first riders arrive and we take some pics of the view. This is some big country!

After the dynamic duo show up I continue to head east down off the top of this ridge. We’ll eventually bend to the south a bit on the way to Diamond. We drop 1,000 feet in elevation in a little over a mile! Still 30 miles to go. I’m watching the clock and thinking we are doing okay time wise to make it for our dinner reservation. You don’t want to miss the dinner feast at the Diamond.

Until Contingency #5.

I roll up on a small herd of wild horses. Kill the motor quickly and snap a few pics. Hoping everyone else gets a chance to see them also.

Looking back on the route waiting for the next rider to arrive.

Then Rob rolls up with a flat on the front. We are all getting tired but Rob, Pat and Chris dive in.

Meanwhile the horses are keeping an eye on us.

We get Rob rolling again and we head into Diamond. Faithful chase truck Jim is there already waiting for us with cold beers. Never tasted so good. Nice!

Dinner was soon thereafter. What a meal!

The Diamond Hotel has this cool back room. Great place to hang out after dinner.

Most of us were pretty beat from the long day and called it a night.

Up next tomorrow…old homesteads and rusty relics like this:

Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #37
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
I'd like to ride that stretch someday-looks awesome!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #38
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
I'd like to ride that stretch someday-looks awesome!
You will love it. That big 650 of yours will gobble up all the trail nastiness!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #39
taco250
wannabe adventurer

So where's the rest of the story Greg?

www.benddualsport.com

Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #40
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
So where's the rest of the story Greg?
My RR timeliness skills are a bit lacking. Working on it...
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #41
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Sunday morning we are up early for breakfast and getting prepped. Long day today, 190 total!

Great place to stay. They make you feel right at home.

Yard sale.

About 15 miles from the hotel we start up through this shallow canyon which looks like it is all (or was) dry land farming.

Pit stop at a gate.

This was a cool area. A hundred years ago you can imagine the same scene, except on horse back.

We exit the field and are back on an old Jeep road meandering through the pucker brush, in and out of canyons and washes, then a long stretch of flat land and talcum powder dust when we stumble across an old homestead.

This was a popular photo opp.

Homies on the range.

Now let’s see if you can get out of it.

Old gas powered motor that ran the well pump.

Walked around this heap a couple times until we realized it was the remnant of a windmill, the predecessor to the gas motor!

If these walls could talk!

Life would have been very hard out here.

Group shot and then we are back on the trail.

More canyons and valleys. Spectacular views and the riding is just perfect.

We drop down into the Warm Springs valley just west of Harney Lake. This is the St. Clair canal. It always amazes me how we go from dry arid dry rocky dry high desert terrain to this lush marsh land in a matter of a few miles.

This road basically cuts right down the middle of this huge marsh. There was water up to the edge on both sides.

A few miles down the road we arrive here. Obviously there was a lot of water here once, and likely still is in the spring.

We horsed around here a bit and waited for the others to arrive.

MORE…
Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #42
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Man, I hope I don't die of old age before this ride report is finished.

I'm already 47 so you better get a move on!!

WoodsChick

Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 AM   #43
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
Man, I hope I don't die of old age before this ride report is finished.

I'm already 47 so you better get a move on!!

WoodsChick
Ditto, even on W.C.'s age.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #44
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Ditto, even on W.C.'s age.
You guys are a tough crowd!

Good thing I'm holding on to 29...tightly!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #45
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
You guys are a tough crowd!

Good thing I'm holding on to 29...tightly!
29?

Riiiiight.....

Hey, quit talkin' and start postin' photos, dammit!!

WoodsChick