Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
jlpred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Software for making maps

For those making maps, what are you using? I used mapedit & cgpsmapper, but I hate the "road types" assigned. I want to be able to define the line thickness/color for each track section (used for difficulty). In the future, I would like to do routable maps with multiple POI's. Most of these would be created with tracks. To me, this is basic stuff.

My 1st attempt, I took google kml and converted to gpx. Then transferred to mapedit and defined road types. Then complied with cgps. I spent more time switching road types to get it to display how I wanted and I STILL am not happy. I would like them to all be similar line thickness to "primary road" but have the ability to change the color/font for different sections.
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,712
That's pretty much it, at least so far. Mapedit and cGPSMapper are the primary tools people use.

2Trakr (vvmapping.com) has done a lot of work creating maps for the ORV trails in Michigan. And it seems like it is just that - a LOT of work - to get the result you want.

If you google "cgpsmapper site www.advrider.com" (without the quotes) you can find more references

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 04:36 AM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
jlpred OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Shoulda added, I don't mind paying for something that will do what I need.

OR...if someone could share their mapedit road assignments they use. I need to easily see and decipher between: gravel road, easy, intermediate, advanced, expert. Thanks.
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Pardus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I use ArcGIS and ArcInfo workstation. I use ArcPad in the field but will be using DNRGarmin to convert shapefiles to GPX format for use on my 60CSx and/or Nuvi 500.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus
I use ArcGIS and ArcInfo workstation. I use ArcPad in the field but will be using DNRGarmin to convert shapefiles to GPX format for use on my 60CSx and/or Nuvi 500.
I and the BLM tried DNRGarmin to convert gpx to AcrView but it couldn't handle multipul tracks in one file. It put straight lines between the ends of the tracks.

I ended up using ExperrGPS and it converted every file exactly.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Pardus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I and the BLM tried DNRGarmin to convert gpx to AcrView but it couldn't handle multipul tracks in one file. It put straight lines between the ends of the tracks.

Damn! Good to know. Thanks for the heads up...I would have spend time fighting with it.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post

ArcView is a software program. Not a file format as .gpx is. Presumably, what you meant to refer to is shapefiles which is the most common file format used in ArcView.

ExpertGPS may or may not be the easier solution, but natural resources ministries all over the world use DNR Garmin - which was created pretty much for this purpose. Something they wouldn't be doing if it was unable to handle multiple tracks in one file - no field work would ever get done if that were the case.

Apparently, some of the people in some BLM offices haven't figured it out and are reluctant to ask what they are doing wrong (or search) the DNR Garmin Wiki. Embarrassment, I suppose. I think it is fairly likely that if they bothered to ask their GIS people, they could have straightened them out as well.

Individual track segments from an Active Track log will indeed download as separate line features using DNR Garmin as a tool within ArcGIS. This is indicated by the blue-tinted record and the value "True" in the "new_seg" field of the attribute table.

If you are doing this after the fact, once you have saved an Active Track or are going directly from an existing shapefile, then they will indeed appear to be all one file in DNR Garmin - because now they are, as the attribute table usually gets stripped down by choice.

DNR Garmin can still be used to break a shapefile out into separate .gpx files if you so choose. If there is a name attribute or other identifier in the attribute table, separate tracks/trails can be broken out on that value. The simplest way for those not comfortable with using attribute tables is indeed to simply load the whole thing into Mapsource and then break up the resulting long .gpx track into separate ones using the Track Divide tool. The long straight lines between each track are usually a pretty good indicator of where you should use the Track Divide tool.

There is nothing wrong with preferring EasyGPS, and for those who find it easier or more intuitive, then that is the way to go. There is also nothing wrong with DNR Garmin, and I have been using it in my work on a weekly basis going back to 2005. It does exactly what it is supposed to and is in far more widespread use among GIS professionals than EasyGPS for managing and manipulating data. However, it does require that those using it understand how to use it - just like any other software.

The DNR Garmin user forum, wiki, and archives can be found here:
http://listserv.dnr.state.mn.us/mail...nrgarmin-users
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote