Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
What's the difference between DRZ 400 S,E,SE?

I've been reading alto about the DRZ 400 as a great all around dual sport bike,but I'm am confused about the different models. I'm interested in a dirt oriented dual sport,I've got a 1200 GSA,now I want something lighter. It sounds like the E is the more dirt oriented one. When was the E last made? Is the newer SE real good as well?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
DR-Z400 is kick start only off road bike. DR-Z400E is electric start off road bike. DR-Z400S is dual sport (street legal) and the DR-Z400SM is the street legal supermotard. No such thing as a DR-Z400SE.

The off road models are lighter and make more power but they're not street legal out of the box. I have an S and it does great off-road. It's heavier and slower than a KTM EXC but gets the job done!

'06 DR-Z400S

ptgarcia screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 07:37 PM
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Are there specific kits to make the DRZ E street leagl,or do you just need to put parts together yourself? Any idea who might sell those?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Several dual sport kits available or you can make your own. Baja Designs makes good stuff.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
The biggest difference is probably the Carb and subframe. The S has a mild CV carb, while the E had a Pumper Carb, and a lighter subframe and no key if I remember correctly. This stuff was a long time ago.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
E has keihin FCR39 pumper carb, higher compression, less rear subframe, no speedometer, but does have odometer, no radiator fan, no turn signals, no brake lite, no horn, E gearing 14/47.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
E has keihin FCR39 pumper carb, higher compression, less rear subframe, no speedometer, but does have odometer, no radiator fan, no turn signals, no brake lite, no horn, E gearing 14/47.
Does "less rear subframe" mean a frame that is less robust compared to the S? I don't mind converting the E to street legal if in the long run it will make a better dual sport "dirt" bike. I also don't know anything about carbs-is one more desireable for off road use,or changes in altitude? Thanks
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
I have the E, but I've seen the S rear subframe and it seems that it has a little more bracing over the tail section than the E model. I've crashed my E (actually a KLX400R) numerous times and bent the rear subframe seriously bad once; I busted off the seat posts on the subframe in that accident. I put a crow bar in the frame to bend it back and welded on some new tabs for the seat.

Initially I would take 70 lbs of gear on dual sport rides, but it was just too much hassle keeping all of that crap on the bike much less dealing with the headache of trying to ride the bike offroad like that. Nowadays, I've managed to keep the gear weight down to about 30lbs and I ride wherever I want for up to a week at a time.

If you are the type of rider who likes to take a lot of gear, I would suggest a different bike, I know you can find ride reports of DRZ's all loaded up, but the bike really handles poorly like that unless you are just riding down a paved road in a straight line.

EDIT: About the carb, that was the reason I bought the E. I didn't mind putting the BD dual sport kit on as long as the bike had some punch in it. You need to wire the accelerator pump linkage together to get the full benefit of the carb, see TT "eddies mod."
Old 10-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
For the average non-racer, I question how big a deal the slightly less HP of the S really is. Very few people would actually ride an actual trail section significantly faster if only they had more HP. Usually the problem is putting the HP on the ground. Even the S easily spins the back tire in dirt.

I had an S and had the 3x3 airbox mod and a DynoJet needle, which makes the bike snappier (the main advantage of the pumper carb IMHO). I never thought any slowness in the woods was due to a lack of HP. Age and lack of skill, but not lack of HP.

Maybe for open terrain high altitude desert racing you need every HP you can get, but in that case you might not be on a DRZ in the first place. In woods trails I question what the difference in rated HP is worth.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote