User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
artman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Klr650 What Windshield?

Just got my new 03 KLR650 with 300 miles on it. Has stock windshield , I"m 6'2" and all legs. What do you tall guys have? Artman!
http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...uments&.view=l
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,032
I'm 6'2" and the stocker works for me. You might remove the OEM handguards to reduce buffeting.

Many have reported that a taller windshield not only does not reduce buffeting, but makes it worse.

Others say remove the entire fairing assembly.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,650
I'm the short guy here, only 6'1". The windshield is just the right size to keep the wind off my chest and still not obstruct my line of sight. If ya think it isn't helping stand up on the pegs at about 75 mph and see how that feels!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:39 AM   #4
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
I'm 6'0" and didn't like the buffeting of the +9" shield. Went back to the stocker (they both came with the bike -- I've only had it for about six weeks), still had some buffeting. So I took the windshield OFF, and this produces no buffeting. Unfortunately now that we're into the cold weather I'm going to put up with the buffeting of the +9" shield in exchange for some protection. I don't think I could do long trips like this though.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
buffeting?

Stop whinning, it's a motorcycle.
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:04 AM   #6
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
Stop whinning, it's a motorcycle.

Now, where did I put that can of Troll-Be-Gone ...

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 12-15-2004, 07:30 AM   #7
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I've been looking around on the net for windscreen solutions. I'm 6'-1" with average legs. I've only put 0.4 miles on my "almost" new 04' - unloaded in a snow storm - but enjoyed every tenth so far.

Several companies make shields in the +4 - +10 inch range - but only clearview, rifle and cee bailey make them larger. I can't remember which, but 1 of them cuts to any custom height and at least 1 of them goes to 20" in stock. Now a high windshield may be of benefit to me because - in my wildest dreams - I'll never do over 10% offroad and could easily just remove and stow the windscreen if I needed to.

Anybody had experience with the larger shields - say 20" plus - and is it an asset or liability?
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:33 AM   #8
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Also heard of an add-on called a laminar lip which is supposed to lift the buffeting 3 - 6 inches for a little relief - any experience?
Old 12-15-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
I used the factory touring shield. I too disliked the buffetting. I finally swapped back to the factory. I did find that removing it entirely actually produces a nice clean bit of air, and still keeps the wind off your chest. I only put it back on just to make the bike look more 'finished'. If I wind up not selling it I'll do something to 'finish' the fairing. Either that or maybe heat and rebend the tall shield.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
artman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Artman Again!

Does anyone like a taller windshield? Artman!
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:26 AM   #11
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
I got the Rifle +11. I think it is about 16" tall. Great on the highway because I can look over the top but the slipstream goes over my head. When I head into rough stuff, I just take it off and don't use a shield. The benefit of the Rifle is that they have a doubler that reinforces the plastic fairing which really helps, especially with a tall shield. I attach it with three thumb screws so it is easy to take off. Protection is outstanding
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:44 AM   #12
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Johnlt - how tall are you - leg length, etc. Just want to compare with myself to estimate a +11" windshields effect on me. Have a rifle on my other bike - a kawi concours as well - and really like it.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,277
I tried a +4" (clearview?) a few years ago and the buffeting hurt soooo much, didn't make it past 5 miles. Ended up cutting the stock shield down to about 2" and was happy. I have another KLR and only put 1k miles on it last summer. Left the shield stock, but will prolly cut it down before next summer. However, I do not tour with this bike. Mostly commutting and back road puttering -- 250 miles is a long day for me on a KLR.

I am 6'1" with a longer torso.

I've remember from the past that some guys had good luck with handlebar mounted shields.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 AM   #14
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
I've got the +9" Clearview on my KLR and love it. Makes it possible to ride on the highway and doesn't cause me any problems off road. I'm 6' even.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:47 AM   #15
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Also heard of an add-on called a laminar lip which is supposed to lift the buffeting 3 - 6 inches for a little relief - any experience?
Saeng makes them. Haven't tried it yet but I think I'm going to.

I don't know anyone who has tried it.