User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Prairie Dog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
GPS vs KLR Odometer

I know there is a difference between the speedometer on the KLR650 and my ETrex GPS - almost 10%.

Has anyone ever gone on a ride of say 100 miles with a GPS and checked the odometer against that GPS? Wonder if there is a 10% error there also?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #2
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,302
Seeing how they run off the same cable I'd sure expect that to be the case. Same thing happens on my blackbird, even tho it has an electronic speedo & odo. After 100 miles there's a 4 mile difference between the odo and the GPS.
matey peeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
One of my recent rides showed 205 miles on the odometer and 190-something (196?) on the GPS. I remember the Odometer reading because I ran out of gas just as I pulled into the drive way. Thats what started my gas milage questions. I do remember a few times during this ride noticing that 65 MPH on the speedo was 62.? (62.3?) on the GPS.

I am no math wizard, but I think my speedo & odometer are both off around 4-5%
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
On my DRZ-S the speedo is WAY off, 10%+, but the odo was only out by .1 after 40 miles.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
My GSXR is off about 4-6 mph at 50-80, but the odo is alomst right. My wifes DR650 is off 4-6 mph as well, but I have not checkd to ODO
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #6
sandersr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
odometer, speedometer accuracy

On Japanese bike, the odometer & speedometer (mechanical versions) typically have different accuracies. The speedometers tend to be optimistic by up to +10% usually at least +5%. (My KLR640 A14 is +8% speedometer but seems right on with the odometer) On the other hand, the odometers are generally not off much. Given that it is so common, it accepted that it is intentional. Optimistic speedometers are no brainers for the manufacturer; the customer thinks he’s going faster than he actually is, the lawyers are happy because the OEM is discouraging speeding. Accurate odometers are not a liability risk & benefits keeping maintenance schedules.

I have not read if this trend is going to carry on with the new digital instruments but I suspect so.
sandersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,950
Put new tires on and notice the difference from an old worn out pair. My Road tires on the KLR are relatively accurate and the Knobbie is way off. I think it is obvious, there is quite a difference in Diameter. as much as 1/2 ".

Bart
Old 12-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
On my DRZ-S the speedo is WAY off, 10%+, but the odo was only out by .1 after 40 miles.
hey tbirdsp, did you know you can adjust the speedo on the DRZ computer? They recommend it especially if your running knobbie tires. It's a pretty cool feature.. check your manual for how to make the adjustment.. I played with setting mine one way, then the other, checking it against the GPS and got it dialed in pretty good that way.
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:48 PM   #9
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmanr19
hey tbirdsp, did you know you can adjust the speedo on the DRZ computer? They recommend it especially if your running knobbie tires. It's a pretty cool feature.. check your manual for how to make the adjustment.. I played with setting mine one way, then the other, checking it against the GPS and got it dialed in pretty good that way.
That only works for the trip odometers, not the speedo or the main odometer.
No way US government nazis would let you mess with the speedo and total mileage readings on a street legal machine.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
One of my recent rides showed 205 miles on the odometer and 190-something (196?) on the GPS. I remember the Odometer reading because I ran out of gas just as I pulled into the drive way. Thats what started my gas milage questions. I do remember a few times during this ride noticing that 65 MPH on the speedo was 62.? (62.3?) on the GPS.

I am no math wizard, but I think my speedo & odometer are both off around 4-5%
The reason that your odometer showed more miles than your GPS is because the GPS doesn't measure your vertical mileage.

If you rode up the silope of a right triangle with a base of 4 miles, a height of 3 miles, and a hypoteneuse of 5 miles (the distance you would have ridden) your GPS would show a distance of 4 miles, because that is the horizontal distance you traveled.

Or some such stuff.

The KLR speedo's are about 8-10% optimistic, the odometers are pretty darn accurate.

Thanks
CA Stu
CA Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
The reason that your odometer showed more miles than your GPS is because the GPS doesn't measure your vertical mileage.
GPS calculates altitude / elevation - are you saying this dimension is ignored by GPS for distance calcs? For most riding, the vertical component is much less than the differences noted - and those differences are apparent even on flat ground. As some people have noted, their odometers and speedometers do not indicate the same. Speedos way off, but odos right on. Sorry, that's not the "vertical mileage".

Its a calibration thing thats all. For my V-Strom, I have a correction unit spliced in to the line between the sender (off the countershaft) and the speedo unit. (Two well known brands are Yellow Box and Speedometer Healer.) I have never tried to find a place to splice one inside the "panel" of my DRZ.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:55 PM   #12
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
I dont think that was it. I'm in Florida we have no elevation. However, I have lost the GPS signal if under heavy tree cover. I dont recall seeing the "lost coverage" warning during this ride, but then again when in dense tree areas I am not exactly looking at the GPS either.

Oger
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
Fat Toney
Up Yours PoopSicle

Oddometer: 7,423
My 04 KLR650 was totally off

The Speedo Cable rattled loose (twice)
Fat Toney is offline   Reply With Quote