Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #16
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
I just love this talk about what a tank our 640 Adventures are. For me it is as light as can be and turns on a dime. It could be that I've been fight'n my 1150GS with a 21" front wheel and TKC 80's on very nasty off road stuff so long the 640 feels like a 250 MX bike
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #17
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper

Trying to steer an Adventure with the front wheel... this only results in looking at the apex... while riding straight thru and perpendicular to the outer radius, as if drawn by giant hidden magnets. The end result of which is laughter from anyone within viewing distance... if your lucky.

Any time I've forgotten what I was riding, and tried to steer in the more conventional way... I've gone off at a tangent to the desired direction of travel, the angle of which was determined by the tightness of my sphincter, the number of people watching from behind me (with cameras), and the distance of the drop-off beyond the outside of the corner to the inevitable... bottom.

The only reliable, consistant steering device on an Adventure, at any speed above 10 mph, is the right grip... turned sharply counter-clockwise.

Ahh... the old school technique. We used to call that steering with your Ass. shift ass, plant ass, Throttle WFO. A must know skill learned in extremememm Cases of XT500 no brakes no steering no suspension but plenty enough grunt to get it turned.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote