User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I Need Some Stress Relief

The shop has been very busy past month, and I needed a break. Took off Friday. We left around 8:00 am. Headed North West from Cleveland, & crossed brushy fork. Usually the water here is deep and swift, so I have never crossed it before.

A short ride from there had us at the South Fork of the Little Red River.

After crossing the Little red the road goes straight up a mountain, lots of big rocks and quite technical. We rode on to Rex, and then to Rupert.

We took 16 to Witts Spring, and then down the Richland Creek area. The leaves were beginning to change, and there were wildflowers on the roadside as well to accent the colorful scenery.

We came out of the forest on hwy 123, then north on 7, and 327 through Parthenon to Jasper for lunch. Lunch wasn't that great.

We took some more forest roads and then 21 to Fallsville, At Arbaugh we took 1404 to Oark, and then set up camp.

Gathered some firewood....

Friday night was quiet, I was able to unwind and relax.

Sat morning we got a late start.

We went to Catalupa for breakfast. then rode some of the forest roads/trails on the east side of 23.

As usual Fly gap had lots of detours due to fallen trees...

And the road down into Herrods creek valley was as rocky as ever.

Time for a break.

After a good day of trail riding we went back to camp. Fixed some supper, and began to relax by the fire. The peace and tranquilty soon came to an end as a neighboring campsite had the radio cranked up loud, for a football game. Then he turned it up real loud and began shouting. I really thought people should have a bit more consideration for other campers. I yelled out my feelings that I came here to relax, and asked if he could turn it down. Turns out that it was a hog game, and over half the campground were hog fans.. The neighbors began calling me names... and turned the radio up even louder... Lesson learned... and not one to look for trouble, I thought it best to leave. So we packed up and took I-40 back home for peace and quiet.

Worst part of it is...my Daughter attends U of A in Fayetteville...Where the Razorbacks are from..... Guess I better learn to like Football.

Go Hogs! :)

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 11:29 AM
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Hey Bill... Nice images, bikes, and tale. I'm with you... in a camping environment, a little sensitivity is NORMAL and THOUGHTFUL. Especially enjoyed the semi-dry river pics, and the one of your son (I assume) on the lonely rural dirt road.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

Thanks Steve!
You have been an inspiration, and encourager for me for some time.
Yes That was my son, . He is turning into the perfect riding partner. I am becoming more comfortable, and worrying less about him as he clears most obstacles with ease. He wants an F800S... So I am looking forward to teaching him survival on the roads as well..

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 10-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
ckcarr
Desert Dweller

Oddometer: 49
It's the new world. Go out into the backcountry to listen to the radio or television full blast. Should have took out a gun and started target practice. That's what I'd do.

BMW F800GS BMW R1100S Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDX
ckcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
Thanks Steve!
You have been an inspiration, and encourager for me for some time.
Yes That was my son, . He is turning into the perfect riding partner. I am becoming more comfortable, and worrying less about him as he clears most obstacles with ease. He wants an F800S... So I am looking forward to teaching him survival on the roads as well..
Bill... You inspire and encourage as well. For sure. Your son will remember these times with dad for a lifetime. And hey, what a sweet KTM! You're not worthy. FWIW, I spent two long days on a F800S as a dealer service loaner. Ya know, the thing can scoot, it handles well, is comfortable, isn't extreme... has a lot going for it. Recorded several fine vids with it.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
wswartzwel OP
Unsafe at any speed

The 690 is the perfect balance... rides goat trails with ease, like my 450exc..
and purrs down the interstate like the dakar I had. A Guts racing seat kit made it the perfect bike... It and the R1100S keep me happy.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
Old 10-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Looks like a nice time until the end. Seems like that happens a lot camping. Best camping I have done was when Brian and I just rode out into the national forest and picked a spot, no neighbors, nice.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,208
awesome ride... even though campgrounds can be hit and miss, it seems somehow difficult to find places that feel right to wildcat it.

i see that strapping logs to motorcycles is a family thing with you guys!
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote