User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
tnbmwrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Blue Ridge Parkway

Thinking about doing a ride up the blue ridge parkway heading out of Gatlinburg and spending about three days on the road. Suggestions on places to see or stops to make?

'00 R1100R for sale $4500.00 OBO PM me for Details
In the hunt for a Dual Sport

"The only road too traveled is the one immediately behind you!"
tnbmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Shawn595
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Subscribed! I'm hoping to make a similar trip next year, but starting Afton, VA.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,171
Camping or hoteling? Riding or sightseeing? road bike or dualsport?

a little more detail and you will get some more detailed answers.
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
I recommend a stop at Maggie Valley, NC to visit the Wheels Through Time Muesum. Take a look:
http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Regards, Paul
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum
I recommend a stop at Maggie Valley, NC to visit the Wheels Through Time Muesum. Take a look:
http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Regards, Paul
+1 on Maggie Valley and they have a great little motorcycle friendly hotel there.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
tnbmwrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Guess a little more info would be helpful. will probably be hotel-ing, however the bikes not yet packed and i always enjoy a nice camping trip too so options still open on that one. taking the R1100R so we'll be sticking to the roads and want to do some fun riding within beautiful surroundings so i guess a little of both on the riding sightseeing side. basically if you've done the route or have places you would recommend in the area throw em out here. Thanks

'00 R1100R for sale $4500.00 OBO PM me for Details
In the hunt for a Dual Sport

"The only road too traveled is the one immediately behind you!"
tnbmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbmwrider
Guess a little more info would be helpful. will probably be hotel-ing, however the bikes not yet packed and i always enjoy a nice camping trip too so options still open on that one. taking the R1100R so we'll be sticking to the roads and want to do some fun riding within beautiful surroundings so i guess a little of both on the riding sightseeing side. basically if you've done the route or have places you would recommend in the area throw em out here. Thanks
Things I love on the BRP.

The pisgah inn for nearly any meal, Sunday brunch rocks and the view is unbelievable if the clouds give you a break. Chow at little Switzerland was also very good. The view from Mt. Mitchel is hard to beat. Depending on timing it could be very windy. Speeds well over 100 mph have been recorded there. Hwy 181 off the south side of the BRP is a nice high speed run if you like large sweepers. The Old store at the meadows of Dan is nice. One of them has bluegrass music that is very cool since it is just locals that wander in to play (or was in the past). Across from the old store is a great ice cream and sandwich place also. Down town Boone NC is a nice break from the bikes and some nice shopping if you are so inclined. Balsam bald is nice too. So many places depending on your inclination. If you make it far enough The inn at the peaks of otter offers great chow and the rooms are primitive but front on a great lake. It is also the location of the Eastern most range of the Cherokee nation back in that day.

You can spend days running up and down the BRP and every time it is slightly different. If you are just about the riding you can go end to end and back in 3 days but it very dependent on the amount of leaf peepers you get behind.

Sorry those are in no particular order. If you want to talk about areas on the map send me a PM and I will give you my cell number and we can look at your time frame and the map and i can suggest areas along the whole route, both on the actual BRP and items that are close and worth dropping of the BRP for.

Coop
Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,390
For some outstanding country eating stop at Louise's Rock House in Linville Falls NC. Where hwy 221 intersects the parkway.

That's also near where you can pick up hwy 421 to Lexington, KY which is another outstanding twisty highway. Just the stretch which goes through the Cherokee National forest towards Bristol, VA is amazing.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,990
We stayed at the Bluff Lodge at Doughton Park on the BRP. Nice little place and there's a restaurant within walking distance across the road. As I recall, the rooms do not have phones or televisions.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot
For some outstanding country eating stop at Louise's Rock House in Linville Falls NC. Where hwy 221 intersects the parkway.
Word. Famous Louise has some great pie too. I ride up there on day trips.
You can get off the parkway to go into the Linville Falls park and camp.
You can also ride the other way into the crossroads at Crossnore about a mile or so from the parkway.
Just near Famous Louise's is the Linville Caverns. For a few bucks you can take the tour. It's neat.
A small gas station there in Crossnore has amazing fried chicken and tater wedges, and they have a barbecue that will knock your socks off.
For a very different experience, just off the parkway there's a guy with a monster truck that has passenger seats bolted in the bed. You can buy a ride in the back of the monster truck around a course he has setup on the property. Very neat and stupid fun.
You can take hwy 105 into Boone and then catch the parkway from there if you need to make up some time. Boone has a lot of good food too.
The ride up to the entrance of Grandfather Mountain off 105 is nice and twisty.
The Mountain House in Boone serves good diner style country cooking. It's like a cracker barrel without all the corporate kitsch. It's run by locals.
The Daniel Boone Inn just beside the App State campus on King Street serves probably the best fried chicken in town.

There's a lot more mountain culture to be had and enjoyed in the higher elevations. Here in Asheville we're swamped with sushi joints and crap like that thanks to yankee interlopers.
I will say that if you're in the Asheville area and get hungry you should get off the parkway on hwy 74 and go South into Fairview. Eat at a place called Sugar Beet about 2 miles south of the parkway (w-s, 8-3). They serve organic meat grown in fairview and amish bread and such. Nice fusion country food that will make your tongue slap your mouth. Plates are about 10 bucks or so.
After that, make the trek to Acme Motorcycles about 2 more miles down 74. They're an indy shop and usually have their fleet of race prepped CB350s and the land speed racer 750 Indian around. There's a /2 BMW and a 305 dream on display along with an old cushman. Generally there are one or two classics in the lot for service. Free coffee. Scott, the owner, is a nice dude too. It's worth seeing. They are the local BMW indy shop, so that's always good to know.

There's a big Jap bike mega store just south of hwy 25 exit if you need any parts. MR Cycles.

Asheville is a good place to get a beer. We now have more craft breweries than anyone. So, you could get a hotel room and wander around downtown. There's bike parking downtown too, and no meter on it.
I recommend Jack of the Wood, Lexington Avenue Brewery (the LAB), and Barley's Taproom (all downtown). Jack and LAB have good bar food. Barley's makes great pizza and such.
For a nice quiet experience without the loud bar feel, the Thirsty Monk is a good choice.

Stuff to do?
Ride down into Pisgah Forest and check out some hiking, if you have time. The hike up looking glass is a good one if you're not out of shape. As mentioned, the balds at Black Balsam are pretty scenic due to no trees and 360* views. Mind the chiggers and ticks. They've been very bad this year and we've had no frost yet.

Be careful. It's tourist season. Lots of leaf lookers in RVs and douchbags on sportbikes going mach 3 on our public roads. It's not hard to come around a curve on the brp this time of year only to have to share your lane or a hospital room with someone not paying attention or riding at 9/10 douche ability.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbmwrider
Thinking about doing a ride up the blue ridge parkway heading out of Gatlinburg and spending about three days on the road. Suggestions on places to see or stops to make?
Chris, I see you've already had some good responses, so let me warn you about one thing. I just got back from Spruce Pine, NC last week. We traveled hundreds of miles on the BRP. Traffic is already pretty congested due to all the tourists up there to see the Fall colors. People in camper vans and motorhomes were everywhere. We were told by a motorcyclist who lives near the BRP that for the next couple of weeks, traffic up there will be so bad that he doesn't even plan to ride there. The police presence in the area also seems to be increasing, so if you do go on the BRP, keep your speed below 55 mph.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
fdawg528
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
i plan on doing the brp on nov. 13 and 14 how will traffic and weather effect my ride.
fdawg528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdawg528
i plan on doing the brp on nov. 13 and 14 how will traffic and weather effect my ride.
Leaves likely by then will be way past peak, maybe even off depending on rain and wind till then. As for weather you could have sunny days, rainy days, and on the high spots maybe even snow on the roads. When it snows they shut it down at the gates.

Coop

coop74 screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 08:45 PM
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
marcoue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Planing on leaving Montreal (Québec) on Sunday towards New Orleans or Key West (still can't make up my mind!!!) and I was thinking of riding the Skyline and the BRP.

Is weather a factor this time a year? Is it worth bringing the tent or it's just too cold at night? Is it easy to find à cheap bed if I don't camp?

Thanks in advance!
marcoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoue
Planing on leaving Montreal (Québec) on Sunday towards New Orleans or Key West (still can't make up my mind!!!) and I was thinking of riding the Skyline and the BRP.

Is weather a factor this time a year? Is it worth bringing the tent or it's just too cold at night? Is it easy to find à cheap bed if I don't camp?

Thanks in advance!
Just met a friend who came down from NC. According to him, temperatures in the mountains have already dropped into the 30's.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote