Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #46
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,087
Try the Lony bike wrecker.......i had to get a CDI unit from them they might have the loom

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #47
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D
Keep an eye on German ebay, I recently picked up a 3AJ loom for 30 euro's Mezo's just bought one from there too...
Thanks Geoff. I have a quick look at German Ebay. Just not sure what fits a 34L as most parts on Ebay are 3AJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY
Try the Lony bike wrecker.......i had to get a CDI unit from them they might have the loom
Thanks. I will give them a call on Monday.
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #48
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Pulled the forks apart this morning. Glad the tubes are straight. It would be easier to pull things apart with a manual. Fingers crossed the manual arrives this week.

Forks ready for cleaning, sand blasting and painting. While at Andy's tool emporium. I borrowed a spoke cutter and spoke tool. Now to chase up some spokes to re lace the wheels.

Also got Andy to press the Triple clamps back together.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #49
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis2k
The tank's looking great! You're going to overtake me soon at this rate! (Mezo, not a bloody word from you )
Saying nothing Tom.

Have you tried to see if the OEM loom is still available? my looms (34L's) are in a pretty sorry state as well, i was going to make new ones if i couldn't source them.

Ive just started pulling mine apart & you may find the pics there helpful putting it back together, if you need any close ups just gimme a holler (like the oil cooler).

What year was yours? 83 or 84?

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #50
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Saying nothing Tom.

Have you tried to see if the OEM loom is still available? my looms (34L's) are in a pretty sorry state as well, i was going to make new ones if i couldn't source them.

Ive just started pulling mine apart & you may find the pics there helpful putting it back together, if you need any close ups just gimme a holler (like the oil cooler).

What year was yours? 83 or 84?

Mezo.
I have tried every ebay site and a few NOS Yamaha sites without any luck. Yamaha's 34L Wiring harness part number 49m-82590-00-00 went from 83 to 86 and are not made any more.

I will give you a holler for pics as the bike goes back together. It is always easier to put a bike back together when you pull it a part yourself

The compliance plate says 6/83 and frame and engine numbers are the same in 000631. An early one indeed.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #51
Mezo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan
The compliance plate says 6/83 and frame and engine numbers are the same in 000631. An early one indeed.
Are right, richeyroo's number is 595 (1983) also the engine cc.

One of mine is 610 (again 1983) almost related.

And yours is number 631, and they will be historic bikes in three years time (over 30 yrs old)

I did write a bit on my thread about fixing up your wiring, solder & heat shrink.

Mezo.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 AM   #52
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

My first thought was to that. Solder and heat shrink. The pic above has 3 brown wires soldered into one brown wire.

I am not afraid of doing a bit of wiring. Had to do a fair share of that on the BMW.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #53
Mezo
Banned

Well pass on the 34L wiring diagram when you find it.

Ive got a big color one for the 3AJ, and id love the same for the next project, its out there i just haven't located it yet.

And the color one is the one you want, it makes the job so much easier.

Mezo.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #54
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Well pass on the 34L wiring diagram when you find it.

Mezo.
My Clymer is due any day now. It should have a colour one in the back. I will scan it and send it to you.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #55
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Today, I found a way of sand blasting without making as much mess as normal. I had the bright idea of a big clear plastic bag. Like the one your dry cleaning comes in. I threw the fork leg in the bag. Pulled the rubber glove over my overalls. Put the blaster and your hand in the bag and close the entrance as much as you can. Blast away, still need to wear a mask and goggles. When finished, tip the grit back into your bucket and use again.

While doing the blasting. I put some marine clean in the tank to start the process of relining the tank.

Fork legs blasted, etched, silver and clear.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #56
metropolis2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
My Clymer is due any day now. It should have a colour one in the back. I will scan it and send it to you.
It's black and white but has colours labelled up I'm afraid. It's a very simple loom though so shouldn't be difficult to work out. My friend pretty much rebuilt mine. Every early Tenere wiring loom I've seen has been in an awful state.
metropolis2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 AM   #57
Mezo
Banned

Crikey (as Steve Urwin used to say RIP)

That leg came up fantastic, what media are you using Dan?

Mezo.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #58
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Crikey (as Steve Urwin used to say RIP)

That leg came up fantastic, what media are you using Dan?

Mezo.
Define media? Camera, paint or media player? the camera is cheap point and shoot Pentax Optio E70L. The paint used on the forks, was a 3m etch primer, silver acrylic and clear acrylic. I had lying around the garage.

If you want to a clear that is really tough and amazingly shiny. Then nothing gets any better than a 2 pack clear (Glasurit, Standox). I will paint the tank an plastics in Glasurit clean white 2 pack.

I have just been using up paint lying around the garage.

Best tool in the garage is Logitec squeezbox classic or a Roku soundbridge. As in Andy Gadgets garage. The main stations I listen to are Radio Paradise, KCRW live & 24 from Los Angles, Cafe Cody from Spain. Koffee and 3RRR from Melbourne. I may live at the end of the world. We do listen some good music while tinkering with tools.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #59
Mezo
Banned

Quote:
Define media? Camera, paint or media player? the camera is cheap point and shoot Pentax Optio E70L. The paint used on the forks, was a 3m etch primer, silver acrylic and clear acrylic. I had lying around the garage.

If you want to a clear that is really tough and amazingly shiny. Then nothing gets any better than a 2 pack clear (Glasurit, Standox). I will paint the tank an plastics in Glasurit clean white 2 pack.

I have just been using up paint lying around the garage.

Best tool in the garage is Logitec squeezbox classic or a Roku soundbridge. As in Andy Gadgets garage. The main stations I listen to are Radio Paradise, KCRW live & 24 from Los Angles, Cafe Cody from Spain. Koffee and 3RRR from Melbourne. I may live at the end of the world. We do listen some good music while tinkering with tools.

Never seen one of them before & i thought i was pretty tech savvy, uses the net obviously?

When i said "media" as in media blaster, the stuff you used to blast the parts with, walnut shell, glass, garnet, soda crystals or as i was telling Danny the other week they also use crushed toilet seats as well.

Mezo.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #60
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Never seen one of them before & i thought i was pretty tech savvy, uses the net obviously?

When i said "media" as in media blaster, the stuff you used to blast the parts with, walnut shell, glass, garnet, soda crystals or as i was telling Danny the other week they also use crushed toilet seats as well.

Mezo.
Ooops. On the wrong train again. I used this grit from Super cheap.http://tinyurl.com/25735ql I don't think the grit is to bad. I just bought the wrong gun.

Why carn't some thing on this bike not be stuffed. Just pulled the tires off to have a look at the rims. The front on has serious cancer and the rear just has bad cancer.