Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #61
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan
Ooops. On the wrong train again. I used this grit from Super cheap.http://tinyurl.com/25735ql I don't think the grit is to bad. I just bought the wrong gun.

Why carn't some thing on this bike not be stuffed. Just pulled the tires off to have a look at the rims. The front on has serious cancer and the rear just has bad cancer.

Crikey

New set of shiny gold excels on the shopping list then, with nice thick SS spokes.

Did you have one of them hand held sandblaster with the hopper on top? that what i used & it took me ages.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #62
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo
Crikey

New set of shiny gold excels on the shopping list then, with nice thick SS spokes.

Did you have one of them hand held sandblaster with the hopper on top? that what i used & it took me ages. Yep, that's the one. They are crap.

Mezo.
Let my fingers do the walking and credit card is taking a pounding.
Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #63
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,087
You could try Zane's bikes and bits but his prices of late leave a bit to be desired as he wants half new price for everything

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #64
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Nice read Dan, looking forward to the engine strip show!
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #65
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

I went to transport this arvo to see what the process is. About registering the XT with no proof of owner ship when restored. Could prove to be interesting.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #66
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan
I went to transport this arvo to see what the process is. About registering the XT with no proof of owner ship when restored. Could prove to be interesting.
If you got it from a known person they just get a basic "i paid this for this" and all should be well..... with luck

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 PM   #67
Mezo
Banned

Well im going to have the same problem then.

I thought as long as the bike had its vin plate & matching frame there's no problem registering it?

Ive got one hand scribbled receipt & i could contact the others for the same but ive got no rego papers for any of them, didn't think it mattered as its not proof of ownership, a written receipt is proof that you bought the bikes surely (and don't call me Shirley)

What did they say Dan?

Mezo.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #68
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Basically, As long as the bike has been rego'ed before and has a compliance plate. All that is required is a road worthy and some from of ownership. Can be scribbled note from previous owner. Or a stat dec saying the bike is mine.

And smile and be polite while re regoing
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #69
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,944
Interesting resto project and great write up!

I'm always amazed at the projects some folks will tackle. I've done a little resto stuff and after I'd seen that kit of parts you showed in the beginning I'd have run away from it with the thought "it's going to end up costing more than it's worth, when I'm done". Of course it doesn't all come down to $$$ I surely understand that. I'm hoping the engine won't be as ugly inside as the rest of the parts have looked.

By the look of your work it will come out looking like a rose for sure. I'll be very interested to see the finished product.

I don't know the market there, are those bikes still available in good/decent condition on the used market? We never got them here in the States. I'm always jealous of the bikes the rest of the world gets.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #70
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis2k
It's black and white but has colours labelled up I'm afraid. It's a very simple loom though so shouldn't be difficult to work out. My friend pretty much rebuilt mine. Every early Tenere wiring loom I've seen has been in an awful state.
I have to agree with you and I will rewire mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy
Nice read Dan, looking forward to the engine strip show!
Hi Sonny, I bought a NOS headlight cowl for $40 from Montclair Motorcycles. Not quite up the road from you.

I am looking forward to that as well. I push the kick starter the other day an the piston goes up and down. I bought a mystery bag off ebay for $20. Maybe I can use some of the those parts. Also got an oil cooler in a lot better nick than mine $40

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel
Interesting resto project and great write up!

I'm always amazed at the projects some folks will tackle. I've done a little resto stuff and after I'd seen that kit of parts you showed in the beginning I'd have run away from it with the thought "it's going to end up costing more than it's worth, when I'm done". Of course it doesn't all come down to $$$ I surely understand that. I'm hoping the engine won't be as ugly inside as the rest of the parts have looked.

By the look of your work it will come out looking like a rose for sure. I'll be very interested to see the finished product.

I don't know the market there, are those bikes still available in good/decent condition on the used market? We never got them here in the States. I'm always jealous of the bikes the rest of the world gets.
Hi Dan, I would really like an early model BMW R80gs. The price of them has gone way past for what is reasonable. One went on Ebay for $13,500 ($13,400 US) for a clean low mileage one.

The next cab off the rank is an early model Tenere'. I don't think they have quite caught on, like my BMW R100RS. They are on the back burner and prices are simmering away.

This is the biggest project in the worse condition I have tackled and can be over whelming to look at the whole thing. The only way I can do the job is focus on one section. Complete that and move on to the next section. Andy Gadget and my wife reckon I am a compulsive obsessive completer. An will keep going without sleep or food till finished.

They reckon this project will teach me patience and I cannot finish the bike in a short space of time.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #71
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Starting to pull the front wheel apart. Drew my self a mud map of spoke rotation for when I get some new spokes and time for respoking. Now to try find where I can get spokes from?

The front rim is not as bad as I first thought and might be salvaged after all. Only one bad bit corrosion near the valve. A bit of cleaning with a brass brush an some emery paper. Will need painting to seal the aluminium and piece of cloth tape under the rim rubber. Else the rubbing will wear through the tube in time.

Thanks to Andy Gadgets tool emporium. The spoke cutter makes quick work of removing spokes.

Now for today's mystery question. Well every thing on this bike is a mystery. What instruments are these? They were on the bike, but XT600 with red marking at 60 kph (40 mph) an a red line of 9,500 rpm. A DT175 maybe? The headlight bracket looks like a 3TB.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #72
Mezo
Banned

I saw that headlight surround Dan, it didnt look right to me.
I kept looking my original (cracked one) and looked at that one & something just didn't look right, the shape for one.

That spoke cutter, is it just a mini bolt cutter yeah? i was just going to blast mine with my angle grinder.

That Tenere run, where is the start & where is the finish?

Mezo.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #73
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

I have no idea of what is right or not right. With all the parts in boxes. It is hard to get a feel for what is a bodgy or not.

Andy said the tool was a spoke cutter, but could be a mini bolt cutters.

The current headlight.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #74
Mezo
Banned

Never seen that surround before? the original indicators bolt on to the forks with metal brackets, ill post some close ups tomorrow.

That Tenere run Dan, any more info on it?

Mezo.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #75
ActionManMelb
YAMAHOLIC

Oddometer: 60
That Tenere run Dan, any more info on it?

Mezo.[/quote]

AFAIK the run is in the first week of March 2011. Link to the mag here...

http://www.trailzone.blogspot.com/

Better get busy boys....we've got a deadline to meet.
ActionManMelb is offline   Reply With Quote