User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Oddometer: 348
SW-Motech

I put the SW on mine 6,000 miles ago, I also purchased the special tool to deal with the spring. The spring was a bit of a challange, but I did not have to beat up the unit, and it took me about 15 minutes total to install the unit.

Up and down no problem! Highly recommend.

Oh, I run with about 40 lbs of luggage, tools, etc all the time.
I want an early 70's toaster tank, you got one for sale?
bpken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I like the penny idea a lot for dealing with the spring!

My technique for putting the spring on all brands of center stand is quicker though.

I attach vice grips to the hook of the spring at just the right angle. Next I lay on the ground with my foot against the front tire.

Next I pull on the vice grips while screaming Like a small angry child till one of the bigger guys in the shop comes along and snaps the spring on without even breaking a sweat.

Works every time!

As for the stocker wearing through where it grinds against the pavement, you can get some sort of strip (think it's Teflon) at a skate board shop. It's made to protect the boards for sliding on curbs and such. Anyways, a few customers have epoxied that on to where the metal meats pavement and it seems to be lasting. I believe they used heat to form it.

Welding might work better, but if you can't weld....
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Two comments:

1> A spring puller, such as the unit sold by Motion Pro, makes spring installation easy.

2> The center stand should not be used for routine parking of the bike. It is intended for maintenance (wheel removal).
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #19
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
...As for the stocker wearing through where it grinds against the pavement, you can get some sort of strip (think it's Teflon) at a skate board shop. It's made to protect the boards for sliding on curbs and such. Anyways, a few customers have epoxied that on to where the metal meats pavement and it seems to be lasting. I believe they used heat to form it.

Welding might work better, but if you can't weld....

Ah, now that is a truly useful idea!

Thanks
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
...The center stand should not be used for routine parking of the bike. It is intended for maintenance (wheel removal).

So akin to this, you would subscribe to the manufacture's stated limitation that neither stand is designed to support the weight of the rider?

Sorry, I disagree. The center stand is too useful for packing, parking, limited space arrangements....Yours will certainly last longer, but that's a self-imposed restriction that doesn't fit my methods.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #21
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy
So akin to this, you would subscribe to the manufacture's stated limitation that neither stand is designed to support the weight of the rider?

Sorry, I disagree. The center stand is too useful for packing, parking, limited space arrangements....Yours will certainly last longer, but that's a self-imposed restriction that doesn't fit my methods.
Don't know about any manufacturer stated limitations, but I've been riding bikes as my major form of transport (and recreation) for a long long time, and rarely use the center stand. Also I do not mount or dismount using either stand. I've never had a failure. So, if your methods require a sturdier stand, then you will have to do something about it or change your methods. The stands were simply not designed for that IMO. If you beef up the stand, the next failure point will become the frame tabs, and when those get thrashed you will have a much bigger problem.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Got the OEM stand on my 2010 F8GS, but I don't have any tubing material welded on the bottom sections of the stand. Did they change it?

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvecchio
An old trick is to bend the spring one way and insert a penny into the gap created by the bending. Then bend the spring the other way and insert another penny. Now the spring is a little bit longer. Keep doing this until the spring is long enough to attach to the centerstand when it is up. Then push the stand down and let the pennys fall out.
I love old mechanics tricks like that! Thanks for sharing
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #24
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Don't know about any manufacturer stated limitations, but I've been riding bikes as my major form of transport (and recreation) for a long long time, and rarely use the center stand. Also I do not mount or dismount using either stand. I've never had a failure. So, if your methods require a sturdier stand, then you will have to do something about it or change your methods. The stands were simply not designed for that IMO. If you beef up the stand, the next failure point will become the frame tabs, and when those get thrashed you will have a much bigger problem.

TMEX, I do agree that the stand will need reinforcement. In 500,000 miles of riding this bike is the only one where I've had stand problems of this nature. I predict that regardless of your care, yours is heading for failure by design (or lack there of).

But even if it fails every 30k, I'm going to continue to use it and replace as necessary.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor
Got the OEM stand on my 2010 F8GS, but I don't have any tubing material welded on the bottom sections of the stand. Did they change it?
No Tor, you misread. We are saying we need to add additional protection to the bottom to keep it from grinding thin and breaking.

The side conversation TMEX and I are having is a debate on minimizing the use of the center stand,
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #26
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
[quote=JoelWisman]... Next I pull on the vice grips while screaming Like a small angry child till one of the bigger guys in the shop comes along and snaps the spring on without even breaking a sweat.....

[quote]

I'm filing away both the penny trick and the screaming like a small angry child trick away for future use
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #27
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Are you running any bags? If so, interference?
I have Jesse bags, no interference with the bags.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #28
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
I have Jesse bags, no interference with the bags.

Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #29
lepoer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvecchio
Attempted to install myself as it said that you could use simple hand tools to install it. There was no way that I could get the springs to reach.

An old trick is to bend the spring one way and insert a penny into the gap created by the bending. Then bend the spring the other way and insert another penny. Now the spring is a little bit longer. Keep doing this until the spring is long enough to attach to the centerstand when it is up. Then push the stand down and let the pennys fall out.
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I should've sought advice here first. I will try that. Sounds like a winner.
Bernadette, '09 F800GS. Jesse Odyssey II bags. Givi engine guards. Sargent Touring seat. Twalcom wind deflector. Stebel Nautilus compact horn (Can you hear me now!?). Kaoko throttle lock. PIAA Cross County Auxiliary lights. TT HID Compact 2 Headlamp, Best Rest Headlight protector & Aux light mount. Metal mule radiator guard. Altrider skid plate.
lepoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #30
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to hear.
Sorry - I too have the Jesse bags (Safari) and the OEM stand, and there is no interference at all.